Chick with bloody head, help please!

Cheeper Keeper

Chirping
Dec 10, 2023
Texas
I've got five almost week old chics and when I just went to check on and clean their brood box I noticed my little welbar baby has a bloody head! There's a couple drops of blood on the floor. It's a fresh injury and I think maybe someone pecked her. She's acting completely normal, waking around and eating and drinking like nothing happened but I'm not sure what if anything I can or should do? I've been watching for a bit and no apparent bullies or anyone else hurt that I can tell. Any advice?
1000006362.jpg

I would recommend just cleaning it off with some diluted betadine (around 1 part betadine to 4 parts water) and just do that once a day for 3 days. Keep a close eye on it and if any sort of infection appears or it isn’t getting better try and up the amount of cleaning. You can also put some neosporin without pain killer on in between to help even more I am not very experienced but this is just what I would do personally.

Could/ should I apply clorhexedine solution?
While I believe it would be safe, clorhexedine is a bit of a trickier treatment option. It needs to be very precise with the ratio. It also isn’t as safe if ingested (while neither should be, betadine is much less dangerous if it is) and I personally would use something else

Thank you for the advice, I will need to check my whelping supplies to see if I have any unopened betadine on hand or not. She's so tiny I really don't want to cause more harm by applying something I shouldn't. 🤕

It doesn’t look too bad, clean and dry it and apply something like rooster booster peck no more. It’s a purple gunk that smells kind of minty, chicks hate it. Mine run screaming if I open the bottle. If you don’t separate the chick or apply peck no more the other chicks will keep pecking it

Back
Top Bottom