Chick with Broken Beak

BaileyJean

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Kentucky
My Coop
My Coop
I have a GLW chick that is about 1 1/2 months old. She was fine this morning when I fed, but later this afternoon I noticed her beak was broken. It looks like the outer shell of her upper beak has broken off. The bleeding has almost stopped now. She is housed with other chicks her age, and guineas about the same age. What do I need to do for her? I have separated her from the others so she does not get pecked at, and so I can make sure she can still eat and drink normally.

dbe33a67.jpg

Oh my...poor baby!!
sad.png
Definitely keep her separated!! If you can do it with wire so that she can see/be seen by others, that would be best so it won't be hard to reintegrate her. I would probably keep her feed slightly moistened and keep her water in a bowl or cup (something a bit deeper than a waterer). Watch to make sure she IS eating/drinking. If you keep save a chick or other poulty electolites on hand, I'd probably put a little into her water.

Oh my! Poor poor baby! My 1 year old BO broke the end of her upper beak off about 3 weeks ago. Not as bad as yours but bad enough that she was obviously in pain. I put out a deep dish of her food moistened with water and applesauce (to entice her to eat) and also put out plain applesauce (not sweetened) and plain yogurt. She didn't eat or drink for 2 full days. I used a syringe to drip water and chick saver into her beak. Day 3 she started eating the soft food on her own. I think she got hungry enough! After a week I stopped putting out the soft stuff and she's been fine ever since. All healed up! If you've got a lot of birds I would separate her! I only have three and one of them was very interested in pecking at her injured beak! I'm sure you're chick will be o.k.! Just give her lots of TLC and she'll be fine!
love.gif

Thanks for the replies!
thumbsup.gif
I gave her yogurt yesterday. She is doing much better today! I know chickens hide pain well, but she is not acting like it is affecting her! she is now eating normal chick feed and drinking water, I will keep a close eye on her to see how it goes, but I am hopeful that she will get over this!

This is Sparkles. She broke her beak a year ago - about where yours seems to have. I have no idea how it happened and I was completely horrified. That being said is doing perfectly fine and a happy hen. I cleaned it the best I could and did keep her inside a few days just to limit stress, observe her eating, and any other birds picking on her. I did not end up putting anything on it because it was so close to her nostril 's that I didn't want to hamper breather at all, and I didn't want her ingesting anything I put there. I made sure - even when she returned to the coop to keep the water and so fourth extra clean, to help discourage infection. Her beak has not grown back at all, it was broken to far back, but... she does great!!! I fed her scrambled eggs for about a week. Great protein and the cosistancey helped her learn to scoop. (yogart seemed to kind of choke her). Her tounge does seem stiff and dry, but she eats just fine now with out any special care. I do make sure and put at least 1/2 the feed out in a pie pan or something so that it is easier for her to scoop. the other birds didn't pick on her, she can still peck the with her lower beak, and she is still one of our best layers. It took her about a month to start laying again from the stress... Good luck to you. Hope this at least gives you a positive outlook! Please feel free to message me with any questions...
95465_102_7784.jpg

How's the OP's chick doing now? I have nearly an identical situation going on right now with a 5 week old Araucana. I found her this morning with a bloody, chipped/cracked top beak. I cleaned it off and separated her but she is not eating or drinking yet. I'm very worried. I wonder if your grew her beak back since she was so young, like mine.

One of my turkey chicks had a chipped beak this morning I haven't seen it eat or drink I hope it'll be ok I seperated it because the other see blood and momic it

Back
Top Bottom