Chick with vent issues?

Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hi everyone, I have a young Golden Sebright chick from Tractor Supply that has serious vent problems and I’m not sure what to do. This little guy has a swollen vent that seems to be almost sealed shut. He’s had pasty butt MANY times since poop just leaks out, rather than him taking normal poops. I feel horrible because he is constantly reaching behind him to try to peck at it. He’s acting normal otherwise. I don’t know what to do, I’ve tried applying warm water and I remove poop every time I notice that it’s building up. All of the other chicks in the brooder seem ok and their vents are normal. I’m using a brinsea eco glow on a very low height for them (he goes in and out consistently). I’m not sure what to do, please let me know if you have any advice. Am I doing something wrong?

F5005E3D-9878-4365-9C93-63920B0FEC71.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I have a young Golden Sebright chick from Tractor Supply that has serious vent problems and I’m not sure what to do. This little guy has a swollen vent that seems to be almost sealed shut. He’s had pasty butt MANY times since poop just leaks out, rather than him taking normal poops. I feel horrible because he is constantly reaching behind him to try to peck at it. He’s acting normal otherwise. I don’t know what to do, I’ve tried applying warm water and I remove poop every time I notice that it’s building up. All of the other chicks in the brooder seem ok and their vents are normal. I’m using a brinsea eco glow on a very low height for them (he goes in and out consistently). I’m not sure what to do, please let me know if you have any advice. Am I doing something wrong?

View attachment 2565672
this one is tough. Can you see an opening in the vent or does it seem like there is dried feces inside the vent clogging it up? Has the chick had these symptoms since day one? Sometimes sitting them in a nice warm bath with a little espom salt can help loosen up problems, but make sure you can see an opening in the vent or gently squeeze it to see if it opens so droppings can come out.

You can give the chick some coconut oil, that may help get things moving if it's constipated. Refrigerate it til firm and then break it into little peices. The chick may eat it willingly. I'd try to get about a teaspoon in it. It's also possible that it's got other problems inside that we can't see. If the vent looks prolapsed at all you can apply a bit of vaseline or plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment to keep it moist as well. That will also help keep droppings from sticking.

Back
Top Bottom