Chick with watery poo

Jul 1, 2019
New Mexico
Hi!

I'm back with another problem with chicks. My four-day-old Pearl White Leghorn from McMurray Hatchery is just standing around instead of eating and playing with the others. She had a bit of pasty butt that I cleared, but her poo is now watery with a little bit of white. She has eaten recently; her crop has food. The last two of my chicks that died also had this watery poo. Could it be from the sugar water I gave them, or salmonella, or what? All the chicks are getting water with SaveAChick probiotics and sugar. They have been vaccinated for Marek's and coccidiosis. They eat NatureWise chick starter-grower, and I have given them some egg too. They live in a brooder inside my coop, which also contains thirteen adult chickens (separate from the chicks, of course). Help please!

Thanks!

She had a bit of pasty butt that I cleared, but her poo is now watery with a little bit of white.
Just keep the pasty butt clear as it's deadly fast.

All urates pass in droppings.. this may still just be carry over.

I would not suspect salmonella.

They live in a brooder inside my coop, which also contains thirteen adult chickens (separate from the chicks, of course).

Consider this.. your Marek's vaccine needs to be quarantined for 2 weeks before it is considered effective.. and according to this, you've already exposed them. :hmm

Is your naturewise chick starter/grower medicated or non?

Hope everyone continues to thrive! :fl

Hi!

I'm back with another problem with chicks. My four-day-old Pearl White Leghorn from McMurray Hatchery is just standing around instead of eating and playing with the others. She had a bit of pasty butt that I cleared, but her poo is now watery with a little bit of white. She has eaten recently; her crop has food. The last two of my chicks that died also had this watery poo. Could it be from the sugar water I gave them, or salmonella, or what? All the chicks are getting water with SaveAChick probiotics and sugar. They have been vaccinated for Marek's and coccidiosis. They eat NatureWise chick starter-grower, and I have given them some egg too. They live in a brooder inside my coop, which also contains thirteen adult chickens (separate from the chicks, of course). Help please!

Thanks!
Do you have photos?
Housing, chick(s), poop?
What's the temp in the brooder on the warm and cold side?

Have you tried giving wet feed instead of dry to see if they can eat that a bit better? Sometimes with tiny chicks, they have trouble with crumbles the first week or so.

Stay on top of the vent pasting and see that she's drinking well.

Do you have photos?
Housing, chick(s), poop?
What's the temp in the brooder on the warm and cold side?

Have you tried giving wet feed instead of dry to see if they can eat that a bit better? Sometimes with tiny chicks, they have trouble with crumbles the first week or so.

Stay on top of the vent pasting and see that she's drinking well.
Thanks for your help. I have photos of the chick but not housing or poo.

I did offer some wet feed, but the chick ended up dying last night.

Back
Top Bottom