Chick won’t open eyes

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
This chick hatched about 53 hours ago. Most of their hatchmates are already in the brooder… this chick won’t open their eyes, they can- they did when I dripped on some eye drops but closed them again shortly after. They hobble around with their eyes closed and everything. Their toes are also curled.. what’s going on with them?

Attachments

• IMG_3434.jpeg
    IMG_3434.jpeg
    167.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    283.5 KB · Views: 3
Sometimes these issues can be caused by incubation or parents having low nutrients. I just went through this with 2 quail and after a few days with good food they look like nothing is wrong. I did tape the feet. I used the sticky bandaid part. Cut the pad out so I had two sticky pieces and sandwiched it's foot between them. When I wanted it off after 24 hrs I put a tiny bit of water in a cup. They came off easy with water. I found this here not my photo and didn't remember the article where I screenshot it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240417-161101.png
    Screenshot_20240417-161101.png
    264.9 KB · Views: 1
Also when you put it in brooder. Wait till it's as close to as strong as the other chicks. Can walk good about 24 hours. I use a Tupperware with high sides so it's near it's friends. I put one in that couldn't walk well with all the others before and they stomped it. dislocated it's hip... Yuck and sad.

Back
Top Bottom