AuntAgnes

Hatching
Mar 15, 2021
Hi all,

My baby chick is almost 4 weeks old. A week ago, her right eye was shut tight and has not opened since (pic from this morning). She's the only one that ever had pasty butt and has always seemed a little slower, unsteady, but last week was really beginning to fight for her place in the flock (not letting others push her around, wedging her way into the other three when they huddled, etc.).

Since we noticed her eye, she hasn't gained more than a couple tenths of an ounce. The others are in the 3.8-4.5oz range and she is still at 2.3 oz. This despite eating well, drinking water a lot, and defecating regularly. She's still not as active as the others - and hasn't jumped up on anything like her sisters - but she is trying.

I have flushed her eye and have been adding Vetricyn gel to her eye every day. I isolated her in her own bin. I have given her lots of scrambled eggs, honey water, and regular medicated chick starter feed. She's back in with her sisters now that she doesn't appear to have any intestinal issues. She seems happier, but, despite chowing on scrambled egg and feed yesterday, didn't gain at all over night. And we still don't know what's going on with her eye.

Is this just failure to thrive? We're pulling for her.

Pics attached. You can see she's the little one on the left in the overhead pictures. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG-1586.jpg
    IMG-1586.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG-1587.jpg
    IMG-1587.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-1588.jpg
    IMG-1588.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom