Chicken attacked by hawk, so many missing feathers!

Nnyuu

Songster
Mar 23, 2021
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Got a bit of a fright the other day when I went to check on my chickens to find that a hawk had gotten INSIDE the run. Miraculously, we only had one casualty (RIP, Jelly). It seems like one or both roosters gave the hawk quite the beating.

Unfortunately, one of our hens got very messed up. I have given her the once over and she is not cut or bleeding anywhere, however the feather loss is quite bad. Many of her neck feathers are just gone, and her bottom is completely featherless as well.

She is eating and drinking like normal, roosting with the flock, and doing well. No one seems to be bothering her at all, but I do worry about her making it through the winter missing so many feathers. Is there anything I can do? I don't want to separate her if I don't have to, and it has been mild lately. But cold weather will be here shortly...

And yes, we did figure out how he got in and immediately fixed the problem. They are all quite safe now. Pictures were taken in an old run I put them in while we did repairs on their main run.

Attachments

• 20211230_114146.jpg
    20211230_114146.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 68
  • 20211230_114159.jpg
    20211230_114159.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 23
Fear not, the feather loss will not be a problem. Hopefully, the feathers plucked cleanly out will grow back in record time.

However, there's a chance they won't, small chance. I had a young pullet get strafed by a hawk in late summer, lost every single feather on her back, cleanly plucked, nothing left but smooth bald skin. She didn't regrow her back feathers for two years.

She went through two winters with a bald back, but she didn't seem to suffer at all. I doubt it will take two years for your hen to regain her feather coverage, but meanwhile, she will not freeze to death.

Fear not, the feather loss will not be a problem. Hopefully, the feathers plucked cleanly out will grow back in record time.

However, there's a chance they won't, small chance. I had a young pullet get strafed by a hawk in late summer, lost every single feather on her back, cleanly plucked, nothing left but smooth bald skin. She didn't regrow her back feathers for two years.

She went through two winters with a bald back, but she didn't seem to suffer at all. I doubt it will take two years for your hen to regain her feather coverage, but meanwhile, she will not freeze to death.
Thank you so much, that was my biggest worry!

Back
Top Bottom