Chicken attacked by raccoon, shock (warning graphic pictures)

Pics
Food will really help her. I personally would feed her raw egg, it is high in protein, easy for her to digest, has important vitamins and also iron which would help with her blood loss and would also count towards her fluid intake. Nutrition and preventing infection are the 2 most important.things you can do for her.
I agree she needs more nutrients. Spots does feel thin at this point. As each day I check each chicken. She is a small chicken due to her breed. But when I feel her, I am concern on her weight, feeling low.

Food will really help her. I personally would feed her raw egg, it is high in protein, easy for her to digest, has important vitamins and also iron which would help with her blood loss and would also count towards her fluid intake. Nutrition and preventing infection are the 2 most important.things you can do for her.
Thank you I will whip up some scrambled eggs tonight for her, Spots.

Last edited:
Just an update Spots is doing well. Did notice of a change. She doesn't roost anymore but lay in the area where the chicken's lay eggs. I first thought she went broody on me. This is not the case. She is still laying an egg each day along with my other two chickens. Her egg is slightly white and the other two are dark colored shells. Very strange that she doesn't roost anymore. Every time I come out she comes running from the coop for my treats. I don't have to push her out of the coop. I think the racoon attack changed her, but she is seven years old. To see she is still laying eggs is confusing as I first thought she was broody. This might be her being and feeling safe in this area of the coop where the chickens lay eggs. She is an avid dust bath chicken.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear she's doing well!

Laying eggs is great!
She may not feel comfortable roosting, but it sounds like she's found a nice place to settle in each night.

Thank you for the update!

I'm glad to hear she's doing well!

Laying eggs is great!
She may not feel comfortable roosting, but it sounds like she's found a nice place to settle in each night.

Thank you for the update!
I was gone for three days. Left two 50-gallon waters. There was still a lot of water left. Put fresh water in both waters. Spots came out as well the other two chickens to greet me, but Spots looks a little pale. She did lay two eggs within three days. I gathered eggs Friday and came back Sunday. So, she didn't lay an egg today. Was 98-degree days all weekend. We do have a breeze today that come off the lower mountain lake area. Gave them frozen watermelon, plus treats. I am going to grab a five-gallon waterer and put electrolytes in it. Should I worry?

I'd keep watch on her and everyone else.
Hot weather can affect laying, so hopefully that's the reason why she didn't lay an egg. If she acts like she's in distress trying to lay an egg, giving extra Calcium (Calcium Citrate or TUMS) can often help them expel the egg.

Electrolytes in an additional waterer sounds good.

I'd keep watch on her and everyone else.
Hot weather can affect laying, so hopefully that's the reason why she didn't lay an egg. If she acts like she's in distress trying to lay an egg, giving extra Calcium (Calcium Citrate or TUMS) can often help them expel the egg.

Electrolytes in an additional waterer sounds good.
I will look today if she lay an egg. When I cooked the latest eggs from all of them it was definitely hard to crack them, so calcium is not an issue. None of them were panting yesterday but did have some wind from the lake that keeps their coop cool. They all stay in the coop during the day. Hopefully she looks better today on her coloring. We have been in the upper nineties and her not roosting could cause heat issues. with her.

Back
Top Bottom