Chicken attacked by raccoon, shock (warning graphic pictures)

Well with total disappointment! I decided to keep her in the recoup pen. I did the sniff test on her and did smell something was not normal. I feel so bad as my fault letting her in the pen for the day. I did notice her nostrils had something going on and I tried to pick it out. She didn't like that at all. I decided to keep her locked up for another week. I applied the Neosporin on her head again since it did not smell very good. Also treating her to the antibiotics and electrolytes.

Well, that's a bummer!
Swab the wound really well with Chlorhexidine, then apply your ointment.

Hopefully her friends can come visit though?
I plan on bringing to her friends every day when doing the routine and treat feed. I just cannot leave her, so she avoids dust baths. Sucks as I just have to go with my gut feeling giving her another week to monitor. I will look into the chlorhexidine, since it is Easter, I won't be able to buy anything today. I do have iodine handy. Her head actually looks better today.

Spots is looking good again. No funny smell. Most the clotted blood fell off the back of her head. She just has a little remaining on top of her head. I think the cat scratcher, with condensed cardboard helps her, clean her head as well her beak. I wasn't able to bring her to the other chickens on Easter as had a house full of people. I brought her with me yesterday, she is back at attacking them again. They do the ley down when she does this. They do not fight back at all. Our weather reports this week shows 29 degrees at night again. So, she is not ready for this at this point either.

Yes, she is a fighter and very loving to me. She is always talking to me in her chicken language, I am guessing get me out of here back into the coop. I do think she understands somewhat why I keep her in the dog cage. I tried to put her back but didn't feel good about the situation. I feel cannot do wrong making sure her health and what is better for her to wait. I do know it is important for her to be with the other two chickens. They seem to have high respect for her. I really cannot explain how smart she is and will never most likely have a chicken this smart that really tries to communicate with humans. turning nine years old, and we have such a great relationship will most likely never see this in the future of chickens. She is special to me. I will do whatever it takes.

Yes, she is a fighter and very loving to me. She is always talking to me in her chicken language, I am guessing get me out of here back into the coop. I do think she understands somewhat why I keep her in the dog cage. I tried to put her back but didn't feel good about the situation. I feel cannot do wrong making sure her health and what is better for her to wait. I do know it is important for her to be with the other two chickens. They seem to have high respect for her. I really cannot explain how smart she is and will never most likely have a chicken this smart that really tries to communicate with humans. turning nine years old, and we have such a great relationship will most likely never see this in the future of chickens. She is special to me. I will do whatever it takes.
I totally understand.

Spots is doing really well. She is growing in her feathers on the sides of her head and top. Still waiting on the back of her head as dried black blood just recently dropped. She is out in the coop hanging out with my other two chickens and still the alpha. The first picture shows her wattle is gone but does show a little red as well her crown was taken out but does show a little red, what is left. Her other wattle is fine.
Wow, they are resilient little spirits, aren't they?

I have to add to my story. I feel totally bad about it. I have a feral cat that lives back there and takes care of my mice. I adopted as a barn cat. Is wild and given a second chance to live wild after being fixed. Last summer I fed her in an area where we have a storage area next to the coop. I had a camera on her to see if she is still around. Well, I found the magpie birds must have watched me put her food into a hidden food station. They rated it. Then I saw a raccoon shortly after. This was during the summer. Stopped feeding the cat. I was worried all winter as we had a bad winter. Recently the feral cat is still there I am guessing survived on the mice. I was totally shocked but saw the cat on my game-cam recently. The raccoon has not showed up since that attacked my chickens. Did secure the run and coop the best and even over done it. The coon did have a Cougar after it so maybe the cougar took care of the coon. Living in the woods does create issues. I do feel guilty as I thought my coop was fort Knox, and found I actually had weak points that cost me two chickens and one very injured chicken, Spots.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom