Chicken Behavior on the Eclipse!

I KNOW! I feel pretty lucky to have him! What breed is your rooster?
I have 2 roosters, 1 sapphire gem named Ledo (pronounced lee-doe) and 1 olive egger named Benny.
1712688374732.png
Ledo
1712688608872.png
Benny

Is your rooster a bantam?

We were in the path of totality but with intermittent cloud cover. I called my girls in from the pasture but they stopped at their pallet "chicken hut" as totality set in. Smart girls, they knew it was not time to come in for the night;) despite getting twilight dark! I heard someone's rooster crow and the roadrunner was calling for a long time. Awesome event! Thank you Mother Nature!:clap

I was in the path of totality. My chickens were all foraging around right up until it got too dark for them to see. Then they all hunkered down by the garden and waited. As soon as it got sunny again, they went about their business as if nothing happened

I was directly in the path of totality! It was awesome! My chickens all thought it was just a cloud... Until complete darkness fell. Then everybody froze until the light came back, and then it was back to normal without missing a beat!

I was just outside path of totality, my rooster crowed a few times at the darkest point. I went outside which seemed to really upset them and they ran for the coop. They arent usually that on edge. :3

Are you and your chickens in the path of totality for the solar eclipse?
Wanted to start a thread to see how everyone's chickens behaved. (Crowing, going to roost, turning into walri, etc.)
Anyhow, post below! Excited to hear everyone's experiences!
When we had partial eclipse last year, they all went in their coops. This time with totality (got dark like around the time they start ambling into their run for about 4 minutes), they all stayed out, scratched, and pecked away. I suspect it was because I was out in their pasture with them so I could take open-sky photos of the eclipse. They seem to copy my behavior... if I freeze and lookup, they all freeze, too. They follow me everywhere. All of the animals were very quiet. Anyway, here is a photo.

Attachments

• 20240408_134544.jpg
    20240408_134544.jpg
    528.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom