Chicken bit by dog- lost an eye and maybe blind

Apr 1, 2021
Hi I really don’t know what to do. I looked around online for resources and I just don’t know where to start. Yesterday a dog bit my chicken ( Pistol) by the head. Luckily I got him to let go and got her out before any more damage could be done. She’s alive and alert. She’s a couple years old (2 maybe) and is a Red sex link. She’s the only chicken we have left (a bobcat was hunting her flock until recently). One eye is for sure gone. The other is intact but her pupil only constricts when she blinks. She’s non reactive to light and motion or is reacting v little. She’s alert to sounds and will drink water when her beak is dipped into it but hasn’t eaten since around 2 or 3 yesterday before her attack. We’ve added some antibiotics to her water and she’s currently in a cage in my garage to keep her away from any other animals. I’m not sure if I should put her in her coop as it is raised. Her motion is limited to moving in circles in one place for the most part. She doesn’t look like she’s in pain just very confused. How do I help her? We can’t take her to our normal vet and I have no idea where to find someone who will treat a chicken on such short notice.

Hi I really don’t know what to do. I looked around online for resources and I just don’t know where to start. Yesterday a dog bit my chicken ( Pistol) by the head. Luckily I got him to let go and got her out before any more damage could be done. She’s alive and alert. She’s a couple years old (2 maybe) and is a Red sex link. She’s the only chicken we have left (a bobcat was hunting her flock until recently). One eye is for sure gone. The other is intact but her pupil only constricts when she blinks. She’s non reactive to light and motion or is reacting v little. She’s alert to sounds and will drink water when her beak is dipped into it but hasn’t eaten since around 2 or 3 yesterday before her attack. We’ve added some antibiotics to her water and she’s currently in a cage in my garage to keep her away from any other animals. I’m not sure if I should put her in her coop as it is raised. Her motion is limited to moving in circles in one place for the most part. She doesn’t look like she’s in pain just very confused. How do I help her? We can’t take her to our normal vet and I have no idea where to find someone who will treat a chicken on such short notice.
Here are some photos I had to wake her up, she’s been resting a bunch.

Attachments

• 31DD2464-883C-45E9-9700-6288DD2C4767.jpeg
    31DD2464-883C-45E9-9700-6288DD2C4767.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1269C4E7-9007-4EF4-BDDB-E9AE42EDB45A.jpeg
    1269C4E7-9007-4EF4-BDDB-E9AE42EDB45A.jpeg
    517.8 KB · Views: 17
The circulatory motion might be caused by the pressure on the ear and/or brain due to the injury. I had the same thing happen when a hawk attacked one of my Kraienköppe hens and injured her head and eye badly. For the first few days after the attack she swiveled around like a Derwish every time she tried to stand up or move forward.

My hen recovered after two weeks, even her eye reappeared after the enormous swelling went down.

Just keep her in a quiet place by herself and feed her several times a day as well as administering the antibiotic water. If she is going to make it, you will see the swelling begin to subside and you will see an overall improvement after some 4-5 days.

Back
Top Bottom