Chicken coop build 8’ x 20’

Pics

Becks Chicks

Songster
Jun 3, 2022
Southwest WA
We are starting our chicken coop finally! We currently have 5 pullets between 9-13 weeks. They are currently in a TSC coop that was only supposed to be used short term. My husband had a landscape project that was a priority and then COVID went through our family. We started the foundation yesterday. The plan is to build a 6’ x 8’ coop with 20’ of run that is inspired by Carolina Coops. Hoping to have a flock of 12 when completed.

This is our first coop build and we are new to chickens so I’m sure we’ll make some mistakes along the way. We are in the PNW right along a river. Predators include raccoons, coyotes, and the neighbor’s dogs. We are building in a treed area on our property. We love the trees and get eagles, osprey, hawks, and owls that roost/perch in the trees. I haven’t done the research, but I know at least the eagles and hawks are a predator. The run will be entirely covered in 1/2” hardware cloth and the chickens will not be allowed to free range.

My daughter’s boyfriend will be staying with us for a couple of weeks starting August 5th. The plan is to have the entire thing built by the time he leaves.

We started the foundation yesterday. We did two rows of 4x4s using pressure treated wood fastened with 6” deck screws. We first leveled the ground and then added some sand before leveling. We used a very fancy laser thing that beeps (not sure of name) that ensured everything was perfectly level. Here are some pics.

042A5865-4C13-40D3-8839-F7358D0DADE3.jpeg 6E4E310A-65E9-4163-9786-967FAF5E4230.jpeg 1E8A0E2C-458E-474C-BD02-EAA35141B2AF.jpeg 2FF89D6C-9C4A-4A0C-B9B8-F74B726B00FE.jpeg 58CDB0B6-2466-4833-B8C6-1ABF44FF3624.jpeg

We should finish up the foundation this evening. My husband works weekends so that limits our time. We have sand or topsoil available to fill in the foundation. My husband thinks sand on bottom and then topsoil on top. Is one better than the other?

Welcome to BYC.

It looks like you've got a good idea of what you need and a good idea of the size required.

Be sure to have plenty of ventilation, especially since you're in a wet climate. @rosemarythyme is in your area, I think, and can give good advice on coping with your weather conditions.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

We have sand or topsoil available to fill in the foundation. My husband thinks sand on bottom and then topsoil on top. Is one better than the other?

I personally strongly prefer Deep Bedding and Deep Litter over any system that requires you to scoop poop frequently.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Many people do advocate using sand in a coop, but reading threads over the years it seems to me that the people who are happy with sand long-term are almost always located in dry climates.

My husband thinks sand on bottom and then topsoil on top. Is one better than the other?
Just fill it in with soil. When you are finished, cover that with any dry organic material you have on hand so the poop will cold compost. The chickens will dig and mix everything together so forget about putting anything in layers.
I would advise that you put a solid roof on the run. You won't regret it.

One thing that I recommend is build it with predator proofing in mind as you build. It much easier than making modifications afterwards.

Definitely. I grew up with chickens and it was a never ending battle to keep predators out of the coop. We’ll use 1/2” hardware cloth on the coop and run. We left 36” of space away from the trees so we can install a predator apron. I haven’t done the research for the best size of grid but we’ll staple the apron to the foundation.

We left 36” of space away from the trees so we can install a predator apron. I haven’t done the research for the best size of grid but we’ll staple the apron to the foundation.

We thought of saving money by using 2x4 wire but then discovered that our area had weasels. So we used the same 1/2" hardware cloth for the apron.

Definitely. I grew up with chickens and it was a never ending battle to keep predators out of the coop. We’ll use 1/2” hardware cloth on the coop and run. We left 36” of space away from the trees so we can install a predator apron. I haven’t done the research for the best size of grid but we’ll staple the apron to the foundation.
I'd use 1/2"x1/2" 19 gage HC. Don't just staple it. Use fender washer's and screws, or better yet, sandwich the HC between the frame of the coop/run with a trim board.

You guys are the experts. For inside the coop, we plan to do deep litter. What material should we line it with? Husband is hoping it’s not UHMW due to cost. Is that the same as HDPE? Other idea is possibly laminate countertop material.

Back
Top Bottom