Chicken coops in Vermont

MshVT

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
Hi there! We just got our first 8 chicks yesterday and I am working on planning our coop. We live in Vermont on 5 acres near Mt. Mansfield so it gets really cold and we have everything from fox to bear regularly in our yard. My biggest concern are bears. We have acreage but most of it is wooded and we have neighbors quite close so typical free ranging is not happening. I like the idea of chicken tractors but I don't feel they are warm enough or rugged enough for predators overnight. Has anyone ever had a permanent coop for nighttime but moved the flock into a "tractor" for foraging during the day? I would like to give them a limited foraging experience for their benefit and also the benefit of our yard. Any ideas or suggestions would be great!

I like the idea of chicken tractors but I don't feel they are warm enough or rugged enough for predators overnight.
Yep!

Best to have a stationary coop with an attached run that is weather proofed for winter.
Lots of space in coop with great ventilation.

Welcome to BYC! @MshVT
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1616447749668.png

Is eight the total you plan for or will that number grow? You need to plan for your maximum.

Tractors generally don't work that well in the winter when your ground is covered in snow. Think what you want to do in the winter.

About the only thing that will stop a bear is electricity.

For summer consider a moveable coop (tractor) surrounded by electric netting. Properly installed electric netting should stop every ground-based predator even if it climbs or digs. Flying predators are still a hazard but many people don't have a problem with that. Some do, you never know until you try.

Back
Top Bottom