Chicken disappearing throughout the day?

xiao

Chirping
Aug 29, 2021
South California
I have a chicken that for two days has only showed up to eat and sleep with the other chickens. Last night I came to check up on my chickens and saw that the other one was not sleeping with them. I looked around I saw that the other chicken was still up late at night. I also saw the other chicken this morning and it was eating but I haven't seen her yet getting ready to rest with the other chickens. There is no way that she is broody because I have no roosters. Even if she was hiding I find it weird that she hasn't been with the other chickens or ducks because she usually is.

I have a chicken that for two days has only showed up to eat and sleep with the other chickens. Last night I came to check up on my chickens and saw that the other one was not sleeping with them. I looked around I saw that the other chicken was still up late at night. I also saw the other chicken this morning and it was eating but I haven't seen her yet getting ready to rest with the other chickens. There is no way that she is broody because I have no roosters. Even if she was hiding I find it weird that she hasn't been with the other chickens or ducks because she usually is.
1st if all, believe it or not, hens can go broody without a rooster, but it is pretty rare.

2nd of all, she might be sleeping under buildings, or somewhere where she might think she is safer. Maybe she just doesn't like her "friends" and decided to sleep elsewhere, or she found a better spot. But these are just my opinions

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

Hens can still go broody without a male's presence.

Odds are she's exploring though since she's coming back to sleep. Broodies will sleep on their nests

Hens can still go broody without a male's presence.

Odds are she's exploring though since she's coming back to sleep. Broodies will sleep on their nests
i think she is broody because she isn’t sleeping with the others anymore. i have not seen her anywhere even though I have searched multiple times

Or give her live chicks! If she is broody.

Broodiness does not depend on a rooster, and often times, other hens will donate eggs if someone else is willing to do the work.

If you have a chicken that is sitting on a nest somewhere during the day time she is broody. Obviously with no rooster, those eggs won't hatch...but if you slip live chicks under her in the dark, she will think she did hatch them, and will raise them up in your flock.

Mrs K

Or give her live chicks! If she is broody.

Broodiness does not depend on a rooster, and often times, other hens will donate eggs if someone else is willing to do the work.

If you have a chicken that is sitting on a nest somewhere during the day time she is broody. Obviously with no rooster, those eggs won't hatch...but if you slip live chicks under her in the dark, she will think she did hatch them, and will raise them up in your flock.

Mrs K
That is a pretty good tip!

Back
Top Bottom