Chicken genetics

Jsto

Songster
12 Years
Apr 30, 2007
North Carolina
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, so I figured this would be the best place
smile.png
My girls are now grown up and I'm starting to get chick-fever again. I would love to let one of my girls hatch a few eggs this spring (I need to learn all about that as well, oy vey!) and while I'd probably purchase a few purebred eggs, I think it would be great to see what mixes I could get. I mean, come on - a Silkie/Golden Campine mix? I can only imagine how cute that'd be.

Actually, that's the problem - I have no idea if it'd be as cute as it is in my head! I have no idea about chicken genetics and was just wondering a few things. If I'm hatching bantie eggs, with the father being a standard size, does that mean the chicks would definitely be bantums? Or does it make no difference? Do chicks come out looking truly mixed, or do they take after the hen or roo? Any sort of general information here would be great.

My Silkie has already tried going broody on me a few times so I'm thinking about letting her get on with it. She's pretty low in the pecking order - would this create a problem once the chicks hatch? Would she be able to keep the other girls away?

Thanks guys - any help is appreciated!
smile.png

PS - It's been a while since I've been around, so hope everyone is doing well! I've missed ya'll, but my schedule just doesn't allow much internet time lately, unfortunately
sad.png

Hey Speckeldhen
big_smile.png
Yep, I'm back for the time being! I've missed this place.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll have a peek around the net, see what I can find. If anyone else has any other info, feel free to send it my way!

Back
Top Bottom