chicken is acting very slow and has diarrhea

tsu-bear

Hatching
Apr 26, 2024
hey guys, I have a concern about my chicken
I'm pretty sure she's a white Plymouth rock, a little over 1 year old - this is my first flock I've been taking care of
we noticed a couple days ago that she's been having diarrhea/had a very poopy butt and today I realized she is reacting very very slow, I don't usually pick my chickens up to hold them so when I try they kind of scamper away, but this one just lets me take her. I've also noticed she doesn't really move around a lot, like when I called them all for food (they usually all come sprinting) she was the only one that stayed laying down and didn't move until I picked her up. She did eat when I moved her closer to the food (kitchen scraps), but I'm not sure if she has been drinking water. Today we had to clean her butt because it was so bad and we were afraid of it drying up there and getting worse. Her poop is more yellow than normal but I'm not sure if she has watery poops. attached is what was under her when I picked her up

Attachments

• IMG_20240426_201333497.jpg
    IMG_20240426_201333497.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 13
Welcome To BYC

When was her last egg?
Have you dewormed?

If she's not laid an egg and should have, I'd get extra Calcium into her. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

The poop looks like it has a lot of mucous. It may be due to something reproductive going on, but if you've not dewormed, then consider getting a fecal float to see if worms are present.

If you don't have a vet, then you may want to consider deworming.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are both good dewormers to use.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
---OR----
Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

Back
Top Bottom