Chicken laid her first egg....then stopped.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. It may have been a hormone spike. She's still young, so I won't worry. Is she eating and drinking? Is she acting normally?

I have a twenty six week old hen who just started laying. She laid four eggs over four consecutive days but today nothing. Is this normal? She is an Asil breed which I have heard are not good layers so I'm worried that's it for a while.

Very normal. Each egg a hen lays is laid a bit later in the day than the one before, until it's too late in the day. Then her system has a 'reboot' day. Some breeds lay 6 to 10 days in a row and then 'reboot', others lay 2 to 4 days in a row and then 'reboot'. All part of a normal laying cycle.

I've been raising chickens for years and never encountered this before. But I have a Partridge Rock pullet who is currently 24 weeks old. About four weeks ago she laid a sweet, small egg. Then: NOTHING since then. For 4-5 weeks now she's been squatting and her comb is large and very red. I've done all the usual things, checking for other laying spots in the coop; keeping all the chickens in the coop for days at a time; checking regularly to make sure they aren't eating eggs, but no clues.

I'm starting to get worried, but will give it another couple weeks I guess. At first I was not concerned, because I know they can be erratic in the beginning. But 4+ weeks?!?! It's very weird.

Yes that is weird, but I'm thinking it's pretty common. I had a Easter egger like that a few years ago I got a huge blue egg and then didn't get another for almost a month. This year I have a Columbian rock that layed one last week and hasn't layed one since. I think it's just the bird, every birds different and lays different. All my others birds in the past have layed regularly except my EE and Columbian rock.

Very normal. Each egg a hen lays is laid a bit later in the day than the one before, until it's too late in the day. Then her system has a 'reboot' day. Some breeds lay 6 to 10 days in a row and then 'reboot', others lay 2 to 4 days in a row and then 'reboot'. All part of a normal laying cycle.

I did not know this. Thanks for the information!

I have the same issue! We found a tiny egg, we think it's our Olive egger. She laid it on October 5 and still nothing. We went on vacation for several days and they only went out once (our neighbor was taking care of them). We searched all over the run and coop and even checked all over the backyard. It's been 9 days since she laid an egg! Also, she is roughly 5 months old.

I have the same issue! We found a tiny egg, we think it's our Olive egger. She laid it on October 5 and still nothing. We went on vacation for several days and they only went out once (our neighbor was taking care of them). We searched all over the run and coop and even checked all over the backyard. It's been 9 days since she laid an egg! Also, she is roughly 5 months old.
You may have found a Zombie post. Posting to the link below may help you with your question.

Are you sure your neighbors watching your pullets didn't take advantage of the free fresh eggs while you were on vacation ? :confused:

Best of luck with your flock. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/managing-your-flock.2/

You may have found a Zombie post. Posting to the link below may help you with your question.

Are you sure your neighbors watching your pullets didn't take advantage of the free fresh eggs while you were on vacation ? :confused:

Best of luck with your flock. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/managing-your-flock.2/
We told our neighbor to grab whatever eggs were there but they only found 1 egg each day. We've also been monitoring the girls and so far only one egg still 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom