Chicken laws in NJ

Many thanks for the reply. Well I visited Ms. Lang and she indicated that it was a "land use and zoning question". She then put on the Zoning officer hat and said that she was in fact the zoning officer as well as the Major elect. Just kidding there. At any rate, she did send me pretty promptly to the zoning folks as she said they were "Farm Animals". I countered that they were in fact pets and were not farm animals. She followed that our township considered them fowl and were therefore farm animals. I then went to the zoning office where despite carefully describing the little ladies as pets, the zoning officer said they were fowl and therefore subject to our township Prohibited Uses:
"140-140 Prohibited uses.
(27) Keeping or raising of horses or other similar animals or farming as defined in this chapter on lots comprised of less than five acres." I found it here: http://ecode360.com/9589237
I mentioned that I knew others with back yard chickens in our township and she actually tried to get me to identify them and where they lived. My obvious answer there was "no".
This all seems so insane to me. I then asked regarding changes to statute. She then handed me a lengthy variance application and made clear that the process would be long, expensive, and not likely worth it. Not sure where to go from here as $1k in fees is not an effort I can undertake.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread...but I was wondering if you pursued this any further? We just moved to Wall (Allenwood to be exact) this past June, and we've always wanted a small backyard flock. I'm well aware of the current ordinance, and it makes me sad. :( I know we could have moved to a town that allows them (we moved from Howell which allows them but has rules on setback for coops, which would have precluded us anyway from having chickens due to our lot size and layout) but there were many other reasons to move to this town, and we just couldn't prioritize owning chickens over other things. Given the makeup of the town which has small and large farms, especially Allenwood, I don't see why allowing people to own a few hens would be such a problem. We considered owning them incognito anyway but I'm afraid to risk it. I'm thinking about trying to see if other residents of Wall would be pro-chickens and maybe contact the town reps. If Brick can have chickens, why can't we??

Anyone know the laws on owning chickens in Lakewood nj. All my neighbors have them and so i thought hey why not join them. Well we are getting fined, plan on call the township but looking for anything right now since its after hours.

Hi, I'm new here, just wanted to know if anyone knew the laws in Mannington Township, Salem county on owning chickens as pets. 2 to 4 hens. Thanks.

Thank you! I will try to find out now on the internet... Thanks again!
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif
Call the township you live in to ask, and then request a copy ( if it’s not online already) of the township ordinances To verify what they tell you. Do yourself a favor and be sure to get those rules in writing. Don’t ever go by someone’s word.

Back
Top Bottom