Sing Brightly
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Aug 1, 2015
Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Anyone else currently without a flock? I sold off the last of my birds in December and it may be a while before I can start another coop. If so, what are you doing to feed your bird addiction without a flock of your own?

I rehomed my flock last fall/winter as well. I just broke down and got 3 Pekin ducklings now that we are semi-settled. I couldn’t take it anymore 😂

Anyone else currently without a flock? I sold off the last of my birds in December and it may be a while before I can start another coop. If so, what are you doing to feed your bird addiction without a flock of your own?
I could not own chickens because my neighbors complained about the noise the hens make in the morning (egg song). I fed my bird addiction with turkeys, quail, and ducks, more quiet alternatives.
Turkeys are like large chickens minus the extra noise. They are a bit harder to raise though and eat a lot.

I gave away my flock back in September when I moved. I did bring my ducks to the new house but a raccoon took them all before I finished predator proofing the area. Now that I'm all settled I'm trying to get a small coop for 3-5 bantams.

I could not own chickens because my neighbors complained about the noise the hens make in the morning (egg song). I fed my bird addiction with turkeys, quail, and ducks, more quiet alternatives.
Turkeys are like large chickens minus the extra noise. They are a bit harder to raise though and eat a lot.
I’ve heard they are more fragile and tend to fall ill rather easily. I live on the second floor of a building so I’m not sure I could get away with turkeys either. :p

I gave away my flock back in September when I moved. I did bring my ducks to the new house but a raccoon took them all before I finished predator proofing the area. Now that I'm all settled I'm trying to get a small coop for 3-5 bantams.
That’s unfortunate. :( Hopefully you can find a good coop.
Me 🙋🏻‍♀️ I’ve been too busy and too broke.
About the same here. :lol:

I’ve heard they are more fragile and tend to fall ill rather easily. I live on the second floor of a building so I’m not sure I could get away with turkeys either. :p
Try pigeons! They are a joy to keep and almost always come back home.

If you wanna go for chicks again then try old english game or a good flying breed..

My uncle raised birds on his balcony once, and it doesnt work well with fat birds because they normally fall right off and never return. It worked well with pigeons, guineafowl, and flighty ayam cemani chickens.

Try pigeons! They are a joy to keep and almost always come back home.

If you wanna go for chicks again then try old english game or a good flying breed..

My uncle raised birds on his balcony once, and it doesnt work well with fat birds because they normally fall right off and never return. It worked well with pigeons, guineafowl, and flighty ayam cemani chickens.
I have thought of nicking a feral pigeon or two, they are plentiful here. If I were staying here long term I would try to work out a pet agreement with the landlord, but not sure it’s worth it at the present moment.

I have thought of nicking a feral pigeon or two, they are plentiful here. If I were staying here long term I would try to work out a pet agreement with the landlord, but not sure it’s worth it at the present moment.
Yeah, it normally takes a long time for pigeons to settle in and have babies.. until they have babies then only their babies can be free ranged.

Back
Top Bottom