Chicken Math

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
I have 4 chickens: a Silkie, a big Cochin, an Olive Egger and an Ameracauna. None are laying yet (they’re all between 6-10 months old) but I’m not really in it so much for the eggs but because I enjoy the chickens. I keep being tempted to add more chickens to my backyard flock but really, 4 is a good number for the space that I have. No crowding at all. Does anyone else find themselves tempted to grow their flock when the number of chickens they already have is sufficient?

6-10 months - I'm surprised they aren't laying, have you looked for hidden nests?

Yes, they are a joy and wonder. I'd love a bigger flock with rooster. Alas, space constrains me too. Down to 13. 6 Leghorns, 6 Easter Eggers and 1 Australorp/Barnyard mix who is approaching 6 months old and has laid a perfect, small brown egg every day for the last week. If she lays today, this will be 8 in a row.

Last edited:
Your pullets may wait till spring to lay when the days get longer.
If you've maxed out your coop space, it's not a good idea getting more chickens. The current members of the flock will not be happy about newcomers, and you'd have all kinds of tribulations.

Of course a lot of people have that urge, some have self-control, some don't. The way I look at it is how many chickens do I need to meet my goals, then how can I meet those chickens' needs. I do not look at it as I have this much space, how many chickens can I shoehorn in there. That philosophy often leads to trouble. How much room they have is an important component to behavior but so is individual personality. Even if you have plenty of room, adding just one chicken with an aggressive personality can ruin the flock's dynamics.

If you are happy with your current flock and they are doing well, why take a chance on ruining a good thing? If you need more to meet your goals, that is different.

Back
Top Bottom