Chicken not wanting to walk

chickmama2014

Songster
10 Years
Apr 14, 2014
Hello
We brought home some year old chickens yesterday and one is not wanting to walk. We sorta rescued them (which I'm guessing was a bad idea) they were in very cramped pens. What can I do for her? I am thinking I may even have to syringe some water in her mouth because it doesn't look like she got up to drink overnight. Also the other birds haven't found the food yet it doesn't appear. How do I make them find it? Sorry birds we've had in the past have never had problems.

Hello
We brought home some year old chickens yesterday and one is not wanting to walk. We sorta rescued them (which I'm guessing was a bad idea) they were in very cramped pens. What can I do for her? I am thinking I may even have to syringe some water in her mouth because it doesn't look like she got up to drink overnight. Also the other birds haven't found the food yet it doesn't appear. How do I make them find it? Sorry birds we've had in the past have never had problems.
Have you housed them separately from your current flock (quarantine)?

Check her over for any signs of leg injury or bumblefoot. She may also be dehydrated since you don't think she ate/drank. Offer her some poultry vitamins, you can drop water beside her beak to see if she will take in water or you can tube/syringe fluids into her.

The others birds, show them where food/water is - I don't know how you feed - but if you use feeders, tap on the side lightly to act like you are pecking it - stir the food so they can hear it, etc. Try hand feeding if necessary near the feeder.

Chickens that have be "rescued" are usually very stressed - so adding some poultry vitamins to their water would be a good idea.

Keep them quarantine for at least 3weeks so you can observe them for any signs of illness, lice/mites and parasites.

Let us know how they get along.

Quote:Have you housed them separately from your current flock (quarantine)?

Check her over for any signs of leg injury or bumblefoot. She may also be dehydrated since you don't think she ate/drank. Offer her some poultry vitamins, you can drop water beside her beak to see if she will take in water or you can tube/syringe fluids into her.

The others birds, show them where food/water is - I don't know how you feed - but if you use feeders, tap on the side lightly to act like you are pecking it - stir the food so they can hear it, etc. Try hand feeding if necessary near the feeder.

Chickens that have be "rescued" are usually very stressed - so adding some poultry vitamins to their water would be a good idea.

Keep them quarantine for at least 3weeks so you can observe them for any signs of illness, lice/mites and parasites.

Let us know how they get along.
The hen finally started getting around after 48 hours of being here. Now my new concern is that we are getting only one egg a day. Could something be scaring these girls? Last year we had an owl that killed one of my guineas. Is it possible it's back?

Quote: I'm glad that the hen is doing better
smile.png

How many hens do you have and how old are they?

If these are "rescues" and were in bad shape/conditions, then it may take them a while to resume laying eggs. Depending on their age and breed, once they begin to get into a routine, have proper nutrition, housing and get settled in, hopefully they will resume laying.

Being stressed or frightened can cause reduction in egg laying. An Owl could be playing a part - do they have secure housing for nighttime?

Quote:I'm glad that the hen is doing better
smile.png

How many hens do you have and how old are they?

If these are "rescues" and were in bad shape/conditions, then it may take them a while to resume laying eggs. Depending on their age and breed, once they begin to get into a routine, have proper nutrition, housing and get settled in, hopefully they will resume laying.

Being stressed or frightened can cause reduction in egg laying. An Owl could be playing a part - do they have secure housing for nighttime?
They didn't appear to be in to bad of shape. Other than the cramped cages they were in at the time. They are 1yr old and we only have 4. They do have a secure enclosure from any predators. We did get three eggs yesterday, so I hope that's looking up. I did notice a lot of feathers on the ground yesterday so maybe they are starting to moult?

Quote: They didn't appear to be in to bad of shape. Other than the cramped cages they were in at the time. They are 1yr old and we only have 4. They do have a secure enclosure from any predators. We did get three eggs yesterday, so I hope that's looking up.
I did notice a lot of feathers on the ground yesterday so maybe they are starting to moult?
If you have some photos that may be helpful.

At 1yr old and this time of year, they may not be molting, but it's always possible. Usually a hen has an "annual molt" in the late summer/fall at the age of 16-18months. Feather loss from molting starts with the head and neck and then progresses to the back, wings, etc. You should see new "pin" feathers coming in to replace what has been lost.

Some other causes of feather loss are stress, picking/plucking, overcrowding, nutritional deficiencies, illness and mites /lice.

Check them over for lice/mites and for new feather growth, look at where the feathers are being lost and watch your girls to see if the loss is from being picked/plucked on especially during roosting time.

Most hens can benefit from some extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat a couple of times a week, as well as some poultry vitamins added to their water (1-2x wk).

Back
Top Bottom