Chicken poop light green and amall

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Hi, my cochin has been pooping quite small, light green poops. They aren’t foamy or wet. She had not eaten green vegetables in two weeks. She eats normally. What could be the reason behind this? My other hens all have healthy, large, brown poops.
IMG_5831.jpeg

Has she eaten anything different lately? Like seriously anything you can think of?
Nope. No greens, grass, or anything. Just her feed, water with hydro hen probiotics + vitamins, and a little bit of dried grubs. She also isn’t laying eggs right now.

How does her abdomen feel? Does it feel swollen like a water balloon? Or firm, but not large?
Ever since she started to lay eggs her belly has been a little swollen. It’s stayed the same for a year, and it always felt like a normal, slightly squishy belly. It wasn’t red or hot. I brought her into the vet and they did an ultrasound and found no fluid. They said she had coelemic distention/ a potential reproductive issue. Her belly has not become hard since then. Antibiotics did not do anything and neither did probiotics. I started to think her belly was just naturally big, as she is a big hen (almost 9 lbs). However I am beginning to realize she might have some kind of cancer or disease… I’m going in again on wednesday to find out what’s really wrong.

Ever since she started to lay eggs her belly has been a little swollen. It’s stayed the same for a year, and it always felt like a normal, slightly squishy belly. It wasn’t red or hot. I brought her into the vet and they did an ultrasound and found no fluid. They said she had coelemic distention/ a potential reproductive issue. Her belly has not become hard since then. Antibiotics did not do anything and neither did probiotics. I started to think her belly was just naturally big, as she is a big hen (almost 9 lbs). However I am beginning to realize she might have some kind of cancer or disease… I’m going in again on wednesday to find out what’s really wrong.
These poops are common with hens with water belly, so I had to ask.

There are some white urates with the yellow poop, so I think it may be more of a reproductive infection, which is what coelomitis or egg yolk peritonitis is. It is hard to know exactly what is going on inside her, but if you lose her, a necropsy can be done. They can still have water belly with any of these conditions: coelomitis, fatty liver disease, and cancer.

There are some white urates with the yellow poop, so I think it may be more of a reproductive infection, which is what coelomitis or egg yolk peritonitis is. It is hard to know exactly what is going on inside her, but if you lose her, a necropsy can be done. They can still have water belly with any of these conditions: coelomitis, fatty liver disease, and cancer.
Ok, it would just ruin me if she had cancer.

Do you think another round of antibiotics and the hormone implant will help extend her life? Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom