Chicken Processing

84Carter

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2022
Does anyone know of a place in the Northwest Georgia/Northeast Alabama area that processes chickens for individuals? Chicken from the store has gotten so expensive and I lack the knowledge or really the will to slaughter chickens at home, but would be willing to pay someone to processes them for me. I know of several places that do cows and pigs but I haven't heard of any that do chickens.

Does anyone know of a place in the Northwest Georgia/Northeast Alabama area that processes chickens for individuals? Chicken from the store has gotten so expensive and I lack the knowledge or really the will to slaughter chickens at home, but would be willing to pay someone to processes them for me. I know of several places that do cows and pigs but I haven't heard of any that do chickens.
Sorry, SE AL, I know of one, just across the FL border, but none in NE AL.

The knowledge is easy. Plenty of us here on BYC would be happy to help provide resources, experience, tips, etc. The will? Some can, some can't. Takes all kinds.

My suspicion is that you will end up spending more money, not less, raising birds at home and then taking them to someone else for butchering.

Last edited:

Poultry processing is always separate from hoofed animals. Usually the two business do not overlap so you would do well to look for a poultry processor specifically. I cant imagine you not being able to find one in your location. Another option is to look into small farms in your area that offer poultry processing in some form. I doubt you will be able to cut your costs very much compared to a commercial grocery store chicken, but I wish you luck. At the very least, you will have meat that is far superior in quality and potentially more nutrient dense than any eqivalent that you could get at the store. 👍

Poultry processing is always separate from hoofed animals. Usually the two business do not overlap so you would do well to look for a poultry processor specifically...👍

Is there a reason for that? The place I had in mind does do both, but we are sort of remote, so people "multi-task" out here. Poultry, goats/cattle, and the beasts of the hunt - deer, hog, etc... That's seemingly unusual.

Is there a reason for that? The place I had in mind does do both, but we are sort of remote, so people "multi-task" out here. Poultry, goats/cattle, and the beasts of the hunt - deer, hog, etc... That's seemingly unusual.
Just due to different food safety practices and processes. Some places are set up with two different processing areas to separate poultry/non-poultry. Otherwise, I'm assuming it's not an inspected butcher. Which is not to say that they are illegitimate in some way - some states do have volume loopholes that allow "cottage-scale" butchering operations. That's a pretty new phenomenon though.

Sorry, SE AL, I know of one, just across the FL border, but none in NE AL.

The knowledge is easy. Plenty of us here on BYC would be happy to help provide resources, experience, tips, etc. The will? Some can, some can't. Takes all kinds.

My suspicion is that you will end up spending more money, not less, raising birds at home and then taking them to someone else for butchering.
Thanks for your response. That’s kind of what I was thinking…I tried it about 10 years ago but it was a disaster. A bunch of inexperienced poultry people (myself included) the wrong kind of chickens, poor planning etc. I will be looking at the resources available here and probably give it another go. 👍

Poultry processing is always separate from hoofed animals. Usually the two business do not overlap so you would do well to look for a poultry processor specifically. I cant imagine you not being able to find one in your location. Another option is to look into small farms in your area that offer poultry processing in some form. I doubt you will be able to cut your costs very much compared to a commercial grocery store chicken, but I wish you luck. At the very least, you will have meat that is far superior in quality and potentially more nutrient dense than any eqivalent that you could get at the store. 👍
Thank you for responding. That seems to be the general consensus. I would like to save money but the quality of meat is important to me. I think I will educate myself on the best way to do home harvesting and try it myself in the future.

You're fortunate to have the option of a processor that does both...I've noticed a trend where I am for processors that previously handled poultry to stop offering those services, while still handling cattle, pigs, and sheep. Must not be as worthwhile from a profit standpoint to process chickens. 😕

The one time I took a group of chickens to a custom processor (due to the number of birds and the very hot weather), I regretted it. The processor represented that since I'd be bringing the chickens in right when they opened, they'd process them right away, but I was suspicious when I arrived and saw a steer in their outdoor "holding area". I found out that they didn't process my chickens until late in the afternoon, meaning that they sat crowded in crates that were intended for temporary holding for 5+ hours, stressed and hot. It was a truly terrible experience, and each time I process birds at home, I remember why I do it, and am grateful to spare them that kind of trauma. BTW, that crummy processor is no longer in business.

Skinning a chicken is super simple..yeah I said skinning. My dad trapped when he was young. He makes fast work of a squirrel. Same concept with chicken. I'd assisted several times. But a few years ago he supervised and I did it. You don't pluck at all. If your into chicken without skin (some people are) it's the easiest way. I was exposed to butchering young (10 years) my dad didn't make it scary or uncomfortable. He taught me something valuable and made it out to be what it was; natural and normal if done humanely. My dad was in the army so I didn't get much time with him and we weren't close when I was young so this is a good memory for me. It showed me where my food came from. I had raised the chicken myself(and had many others). And at no point in the process was I scared or grossed out..it felt..normal. I know this isn't for everyone. But from point a to b, if your raise your chickens humanely..they had a good life. How we face butchering to me...depends who shows us how..

Back
Top Bottom