Chicken/quail hybrid???

Pheasant hybrids seem to keep the pheasant's beak shape. And "To our knowledge, hybridization by reverse crosses (female chickens × male quails) has never been successful." Via:

https://www.nature.com/articles/srep26369#:~:text=Chickens and quails never hybridize,by artificial insemination32,33.
I saw this. I'm not claiming I know what it is. It's not old enough to show all of its characteristics. I just know 91 days is too many for incubation. Nesting for 21, say sat for 10, longest possible fertility with sperm of 21 days, still leaves a minimum of 52 days without any access to a rooster. I live 3 miles to the neatest neighbor and 8 miles to the next person I know with any chickens.

I saw this. I'm not claiming I know what it is. It's not old enough to show all of its characteristics. I just know 91 days is too many for incubation. Nesting for 21, say sat for 10, longest possible fertility with sperm of 21 days, still leaves a minimum of 52 days without any access to a rooster. I live 3 miles to the neatest neighbor and 8 miles to the next person I know with any chickens.
Then if it shows a pheasant beak, you'd know it's a pheasant hybrid, ruling out a male Coturnix. I just don't see it though—looks like a normal chicken chick, maybe a little skinny.

Back
Top Bottom