CHICKEN SWAPS OF NH SWAP LISTINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this may start a riot and its not meant to on my part but I would like to know what the new rules are?
I still only see the old rules minus the rule about selling 12 chicks if under 4weeks.
I don't see anything about being tested for ms/mg. Most of the venders have bought or traded chicks from the three of us (that we know of) that were told we had to be checked for it or we couldn't sell our chicks/chickens. And most of us have bought chickens from all the other vendors at the swaps or at your homes. We were all told that it could be passed at the swaps just from wearing the same shoes or clothes that were worn in coops or from people touching our chicks and passing it on that way.
My question is why are only certain people made to test for it and told we can't sell our poultry and others are getting away with it and selling because they refused to be tested for it? Also why is okay to eat the Chickens and the eggs but not safe to sell them if they do test for the ms/mg?
It just seems like this is being blown over and they are hoping it will go away like it did in Maine a few years ago.
This needs to be addressed now and whats good for some should be good for all.
This testing should be part of the npip testing as if you ask anyone who tested positive for either of these, their birds passed the npip testing. I know mine passed the npip with flying colors.

Okay, this may start a riot and its not meant to on my part but I would like to know what the new rules are?
I still only see the old rules minus the rule about selling 12 chicks if under 4weeks.
I don't see anything about being tested for ms/mg. Most of the venders have bought or traded chicks from the three of us (that we know of) that were told we had to be checked for it or we couldn't sell our chicks/chickens. And most of us have bought chickens from all the other vendors at the swaps or at your homes. We were all told that it could be passed at the swaps just from wearing the same shoes or clothes that were worn in coops or from people touching our chicks and passing it on that way.
My question is why are only certain people made to test for it and told we can't sell our poultry and others are getting away with it and selling because they refused to be tested for it? Also why is okay to eat the Chickens and the eggs but not safe to sell them if they do test for the ms/mg?
It just seems like this is being blown over and they are hoping it will go away like it did in Maine a few years ago.
This needs to be addressed now and whats good for some should be good for all.
This testing should be part of the npip testing as if you ask anyone who tested positive for either of these, their birds passed the npip testing. I know mine passed the npip with flying colors.
I agree with this also. I think if you intend to sell at swaps it should also be required to not only be npip but also tested for and be MS and MG negative. I don't intend to sell at the swaps and prob wont attend any either so my opinion may not matter but I agree with helping to stop spread the diseases. I myself just did the npip testing and also did the ms and mg test. I have yet to receive my results I am nervous but I did the tests to be sure I wasn't selling infected chicks and will close my flock if they come back positive for anything.

NPIP is a national program, not a state one. To change the NPIP rules it would have to be done nationally. You are more than welcome to spearhead a campaign to do so. Currently testing is done for disease that can affect humans. Testing is voluntary for other diseases. Each time the state tester has come to my home they have offered to test for the other diseases at my expense. I had tested last year (2012) for MG/MS and was negative. The cost was $2 a bird. It seems to be the testers routine to offer the additional testing to the owner. The owner has the option to turn it down or pay for it.

MS/MG does not affect humans. Therefor their eggs can be eaten as well as the chickens. As it is passed through the eggs to unborn chicks the chicks cannot be sold.

It is my understanding that only certain people were made to test for MS/MG due to the number of sick birds directly traced back to those farms. Some us took responsibility and tested voluntarily to ensure that we did not have the disease as we knew we were possibly exposed through the carrier farms. 6 of my adult birds were positive and I culled all birds on my property. It was one of the hardest days of my life. Other vendors/owners did not take responsibility. They did not want to risk having to cull all their chickens or risk being quarantined. If they do indeed have the disease and they sell sick chickens/chicks the number of complaints against them will increase and the state will force them to test as well.

I do see new information on the chickenswapsofnh.com website regarding bio-security. I believe they will also have handouts at the swaps regarding this. Like you I don't see changes in the rules however I know that MG/MS testing was extensively discussed and believe that the conclusion was that there was no legal way to force vendors to test for it.

Even if all the vendors have tested negative it does not mean that customers who come to purchase or browse will not track disease in on their shoes, clothes, hair etc.

I've restarted and been retested. I'm so happy to say that any adult here is NPIP tested and tested MG/MS negative. I plan on retesting in the fall once the rest of my breeders are of age. I will not be vending this year. Next year if I have chicks I have presold I'll send my oldest as he'll be 18. None are to come home with him though.

Thank you for sharing some accurate information Puglady!

I know alot of people had to start over and endure financial loss and heartbreak and yet many are still doing the testing for MG/MS voluntarily because making sure our flocks are healthy is the right thing to do. All we can do is be as safe as we can with biosecurity....proper cleaning of cages ad equipment, quarantine or bring no birds home that dont sell, shower and change clothes/shoes before interacting with your flock etc.

All you people that are posting about wanting to see new rules posted....The state has basically said that Chicken Swaps of NH's rules pretty much cover it.....It would quite litterally take an act of congress to add MG/MS testing to the NPIP program. Don't hold your breath.

Here's a thought.....if everyone that wants to be involved in swaps (or that ever has been) would invest more effort on helping to improve things and not standing back bitching about what should be it helps all of us! Spend time sharing our knoweldge with each other and working together....more vendors=more customers=better sales!
thumbsup.gif

I don't think there was any bitching involved. Just a few comments on that it would be nice if mg/ms testing were required. I think that this is still people working together to help all of us poultry owners learn more and be more aware whether we are participating in the swaps or not. Everyone is still just trying to figure out how the new swaps are planning on running once they start again this weekend.

Thank you for sharing some accurate information Puglady!

I know alot of people had to start over and endure financial loss and heartbreak and yet many are still doing the testing for MG/MS voluntarily because making sure our flocks are healthy is the right thing to do. All we can do is be as safe as we can with biosecurity....proper cleaning of cages ad equipment, quarantine or bring no birds home that dont sell, shower and change clothes/shoes before interacting with your flock etc.

All you people that are posting about wanting to see new rules posted....The state has basically said that Chicken Swaps of NH's rules pretty much cover it.....It would quite litterally take an act of congress to add MG/MS testing to the NPIP program. Don't hold your breath.

Here's a thought.....if everyone that wants to be involved in swaps (or that ever has been) would invest more effort on helping to improve things and not standing back bitching about what should be it helps all of us! Spend time sharing our knoweldge with each other and working together....more vendors=more customers=better sales!
thumbsup.gif
You are right that it is the right thing to do and if it were part of the NPIP testing, we wouldn't be going through this now. We SHOULD ALL work together to see that it becomes part of the NPIP testing. It may take an act of congress to make it happen but it has to begin somewhere and if there are enough complaints I would think that the state would have to do something about it.
There is no guarenty that even if everyone culled all their birds and started over as many have done, that we wouldn't be culling them for nothing because all it takes is someone to come to the swaps with their chicken who doesn't use proper biosecurity or from not washing their hands that it wouldn't happen all over again. The testers that came to our home even told us that alot of the hatchery birds are testing positive and they had to close them down. Most of us loved doing the swaps just to meet new friends and to teach about raising poultry, not just to make a dollar. I know for me it was also a way to find some of the breeds that we didn't have to buy 25 to get. I made a lot of good friends by going to these swaps.

The state would not have to do anything about it unless the the national rules changed. The MG test was/is offered by the state. I suspect that as owners needed to pay for this out of pocket and it was not mandatory most turned it down. $2 per bird while the state is out doing other testing for free is not too much to pay.
No, there is no guarantee. There is, however, a knowledge that I am not contributing to the issue by tracking it on my shoes, clothes, hair, tires etc. Unless an MG positive flock owner takes a shower, changes into freshly washed shoes and clothes (and I'm sure a bunch of other things I'm not thinking of) each time they go out into public place then they are potentially adding to the issue.

You are right that it is the right thing to do and if it were part of the NPIP testing, we wouldn't be going through this now.

*****I dont think pointing a finger at the state is the right course of action here.......more like if everyone that had a bird with the symptoms of these diseases had thought to themselves "oh hey, theres something wrong with these birds". Instead of selling or giving them to unsuspecting people through a swap, craigslist or an auction, so many people wouldnt be going through this right now. Maybe it was partly ignorance or people just not caring who knows. Not forgetting that there are carrier birds that dont show symptoms sometimes so thats noones fault either. It doesnt matter if its at a swap or not people need to be responsible and cautious.

We SHOULD ALL work together to see that it becomes part of the NPIP testing. It may take an act of congress to make it happen but it has to begin somewhere and if there are enough complaints I would think that the state would have to do something about it.

***** It would be nice if it was part of the NPIP testing.....Not only would it help control the diseases but would help educate the public about it. Not to mention I know that having my flock tested costs me about $100 a whack to add the MG/MS tests....would be nice to get that covered by grant money :)

I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone but maybe if it was part of the new rules that the vendors have to have their poultry tested for ms/mg, the public would feel better about buying healthy birds. Pointing the finger isn't going to do anyone any good.
barnie.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom