CHICKEN SWAPS OF NH SWAP LISTINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.
yesterday I made crock pot surprise for the chickens. I warmed it in the oven tonight and gave it to everyone when I went out to tuck them in for the night. I feel so much better when they go to bed with full crops. I read that it keeps up the metabolism because they have a full load to digest. that helps them to stay a little warmer. the engine burns a little hotter. not sure how true that is but they sure like the treat. they all come running when they see me with the crock pot. some get so excited that they take off and land on my arm to nose dive into the pot and get first pick. I have one girl who hitches a ride on the toes of my boot to be at the head of the line. silly chickens.

yesterday I made crock pot surprise for the chickens. I warmed it in the oven tonight and gave it to everyone when I went out to tuck them in for the night. I feel so much better when they go to bed with full crops. I read that it keeps up the metabolism because they have a full load to digest. that helps them to stay a little warmer. the engine burns a little hotter. not sure how true that is but they sure like the treat. they all come running when they see me with the crock pot. some get so excited that they take off and land on my arm to nose dive into the pot and get first pick. I have one girl who hitches a ride on the toes of my boot to be at the head of the line. silly chickens.
What's in the "surprise" Janet? Sounds like happy chickens! My girls love warm oatmeal with flaxseeds :)

What's in the "surprise" Janet? Sounds like happy chickens! My girls love warm oatmeal with flaxseeds
smile.png
WELL......since you asked......every weekend in the winter I go through the cupboards and the freezer and take out anything I find that has been there for a while. I also save table scraps. it all goes tog and gets cooked for the day. it ends up like a stew and gets served on slices of bread. the surprise is what it smells like when it is cooking
sickbyc.gif
and that they love it. the batch in question contained bacon fat,a jelly donut,a gingerbread cookie,a can of shrimp,dried white beans,mustard,a pint of chili, etc...sometimes the surprise is that the mixtures actually smell good. most of the time those mixes have alot of fruit.
the 2 really cold days we had my girls got a crock pot full each day and they layed like crazy. I don't give them any extra light- I just feed the heck out of them. they get scratch every morning too.

Last edited:
Hatching 15 Jeepchick eggs! 6 out so far! Got 1 Buff Laced Polish (we hope), 1 black silkie, 2 white silkies, and 2 cochin x old english game! So excited!!!!!

you are welcome. just make sure none of the food is spoiled. I don't care what I put in, they gobble it up. Mixing some scratch grains at the end would be good too. one batch I made last weekend had a package of lipton chicken noodle soup in it. somehow that seemed wrong
idunno.gif

I'm gonna make 'crock pot surprise' this weekend - great idea. I came home, looked in the fridge and was gonna clean it out tonight but it'll wait for now. Thanks.

you are welcome. just make sure none of the food is spoiled. I don't care what I put in, they gobble it up. Mixing some scratch grains at the end would be good too. one batch I made last weekend had a package of lipton chicken noodle soup in it. somehow that seemed wrong
idunno.gif
Wow-- sound like a great idea-- I'll just have to keep my hubby from "sampling" it!

Wow-- sound like a great idea-- I'll just have to keep my hubby from "sampling" it!
it's a great way to turn food you no longer want into eggs that you do want. of course your flax seeds and oatmeal are super healthy. I bought some flax seeds yesterday. they have a granola recipie on the bag that sounds good. was thinking of trying the recipie this weekend especially if the weather is bad. do you eat them yourself?

Hey Brandy,

Could the eggs you brought me be polish? I haven't figured out what they are yet... I thought silkie at first, but they are bigger than my other silkies (and they look just like the polish chick in your hand in this picture!). I'm still figuring out what the chicks of various breeds look like.

Congrats on your NPIP testing! That's great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom