Chicken Tales - My First Year (and more!)

April 2023 - Beautiful pullets! & the Second Sour Crop Scare...

It's been a bit hard getting to these updates of mine. The past 3 weeks I've been very on edge, worried I might lose a second chicken. It's been a double-edge sword. I feel like I was already very observant but increasing awareness is a good thing, though I've gotten extra paranoid. Anyone who lays down to sun bathe or sleep kind of triggers me and I have to check that they're still alive. I kept waking up everyone at 2am to make sure they all were fine. I stopped that mainly for their sake - they need their sleep! And I needed mine!

7 Eggs From My 7 Layers! (Going counter-clockwise starting with the pink egg):
Thank you Kiki, Ella (RIP), Zelda, Cleo, Tilly, Moose, and (center egg) Stitch!
IMG_20230402_172807336_HDR.jpg

Spring Weather~ 🌱
This spring has been lovely so far. Our weather's been pretty mild with quite a bit of rain. Our yard is split into four sections; the one quarter where the chickens are is heavily shaded by two huge oaks and several pines so I figured it's a good place to keep them - less likely to be seen by any hawks. Sadly the area is pretty devoid of grass except for some fake turf we have out - I imagine it's pretty boring. Makes for plenty of dust bathing opportunities in the sand and leaves, though!
IMG_20230423_143654391_HDR.jpg

Our other quarter is mostly lawn with a few trees and yay, the grass is back! I finally let the big girls over there to forage and they are in love! Every time I let them out for the day, they literally run over there! Bit by bit they've broadened their reach until they've finally explored the entire area. To add to their joy, I have a compost pile in last year's garden plot and they love to scratch through it for crickets and other yummy things.
IMG_20230410_154448740.jpg
IMG_20230410_154424042.jpg

I plan to let the babies out to forage with everyone when they're a bit bigger. Ella was my reference for that - I figured when they were her size, I could keep track of them easier and they'd manage well enough with the big girls. They'll be excited to finally get into the grass and hunt bugs! I look forward to it!
IMG_20230418_162531581(1).jpg

They also need to get more comfortable around my little chicken guardian dog, Fiasco. He's definitely been improving! Although I've noticed him getting a bit bossy with my dominant pullet, Zelda. I don't know why but he'll put his paw on her back and when she lays down, he'll stand over her. I couldn't have that so he got grounded for a few days every time I caught him doing it and now he can't be with them unsupervised until I correct his behavior. Other than that, he's wonderful with chickens! But my 9 babies don't know that. They do seem to be getting used to him walking around their kennel.

The Chicken Stalker
IMG_20230521_150717980(1).jpg

Marcy Got Very Sick - Sour Crop Again?!

The only bad thing about the rain was keeping the babies inside on stormy days. I have a tarp over their run which helps when it's just a light rain, but with the slope of the land their run gets flooded during heavy downpours. Great for washing away poop but I don't want them out in it without any shelter. This is, in part, my fault for them not having a finished shelter.

Regardless, they were stuck inside for 2 days in a row April 7th & 8th. They're all very patient but you could tell they were bored stiff! They spent the time sleeping, eating, and drinking. This obscured the fact that Marcy was becoming lethargic. I imagine she probably wasn't the first day, but I'm not entirely sure.

It was April 9th when I was able to take them outside again. Now, my procedure is a bit tedious. I have a big cage they stay in during the night and a run they go out in their run during the day. So I carry each of the 9 babies outside one by one. It's not really bad, though. It gives me time to look them over and make sure everything is good. And when they're released into the run, they take off running and flapping.
IMG_20230411_173009651.jpg
IMG_20230413_130037849_HDR.jpg

I didn't quite notice Marcy was off at first. She jumped from my hands and ran around a tad when I took her out, although she wasn't quite as enthusiastic as usual. Later when checking on everyone, I saw she kept flicking her head a lot. I didn't think much of it at first. We've had bad gnats (need to get some Permethrin) so I thought they were just bothering her. Her chirps had a bit of a popping sound to them too but I thought it was just how her voice was changing. Everyone's voices were changing at this point so it didn't seem too strange.
IMG_20230411_151035538_HDR.jpg

Later in the day her lethargy began to show; just standing around not doing much. Sometimes she'd fluff her feathers up a bit. That night she didn't want to roost and instead slept under the roosting bar near her flockmates. I decided to check her crop and sure enough, it felt squishy and airy.
IMG_20230410_163226713_HDR.jpg

I gave her some Miconazole and started massaging her crop. Last time it worked the first day so I was hoping I caught it in time and she'd be over it just as quick. I wasn't prepared for just how bad it got in the coming days.

On the 10th her condition hadn't changed. Her crop was still squishy. I let her go outside in the morning as usual, but periodically checked on her to massage her crop. Of course, she also got her Miconazole for the day. It was in the high 60's (Fahrenheit) outside but one time I found her standing there breathing through her mouth. It wasn't panting, she was clearly having some breathing trouble. When I picked her up, I confirmed her breathing was heavy and she had a gurgle to her. She let me open her beak and I saw what I think was some kind of clear mucus in her throat.
IMG_20230409_201955447.jpg
IMG_20230409_151849546.jpg

The morning of the 11th her crop was flat. I thought maybe she was probably about over the sour crop. Her breathing was still a bit wheezy from time to time though so I started to worry she also had a respiratory problem. Sometimes her chirps were crisp and clear, other times they sounded congested. Later in the day, though, she quit eating her feed and was still very lethargic. I finally decided to quarantine her. She cried a lot for her flockmates but I played chicken videos for her to watch which seemed to calm her. I made her some hard boiled egg and thankfully she nibbled a little of it, but at this point I was really scared for her. I thought I might lose her. I kept her in my bedroom at night and woke up periodically to check on her, see if she'd eat or drink; make sure she was alive.
IMG_20230411_173045459.jpg

From the 11th-14th her crop was ballooned again and she still wasn't eating. All I could do was get her to drink so I fumbled with trying to get everything down her that could help. Miconazole in the morning, normal water for a bit, then I'd switch to NutriDrench in her water before finally, at night before bed, some VetRX or garlic.

I ended up getting some yogurt for her as well. I couldn't get her to eat it so I had to put it on her beak which caused her to "drink" it down. Sometimes she'd eat a couple bites of egg, but usually not.

I was really really scared at this point. No vets in my area will see chickens either, so I had to do everything I possibly could and I didn't know if she'd make it. She was getting very weak too. She could stand for short periods but she didn't have to strength in her legs to even be bumped slightly without stumbling. She was also losing weight, as expected. I kept her in my living room in a box and would move her room to room with me so I could keep her with me. I could tell she was really trying to fight; she had a lot of life in her despite feeling sick and sometimes she'd have a little moment of clarity where she'd leave the box and try to forage on the carpet. But these were rare moments. Still, I was glad to see she hadn't given up.
IMG_20230412_132507486.jpg
IMG_20230412_173151931(1).jpg
IMG_20230412_113637837.jpg

On the 13th she did poop out some green bits which made me wonder if she might've had an impaction. She also passed some cecal poop finally.
IMG_20230413_103148227_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230413_104156308_HDR.jpg

Still, she was looking really bad. 😢
IMG_20230413_134557801.jpg

Because she was drinking, I added a little bit of feed to the water in the hopes she would get some of it down her without deterring her from drinking and it seemed to work out. I was also worried because she only had a couple more days that I could give her Miconazole and she was definitely at her worst. Her head had also started smelling very sour. That evening, when she went potty, the white stuff stretched from her vent to the ground like stretchy cheese. It seems the candida was entirely through her system from mouth to vent. I started putting Miconazole up her vent too to battle it from both ends. She needed actual proper meds so I searched around for where I could get her Nystatin.

On the 14th, I ordered some Medistatin from Springwater Avian Health. They were the only place I saw that had a review on their site, free shipping, and the price for the product was a tad cheaper than other places I searched. I didn't know how long it'd take to get here, but I could only hope she'd hold out.

April 15th, the last day I could give her Miconazole, turned out to be a day of huge relief. She was gobbling down her feed soup so I increased the food in hopes of her eating more. I was so excited when she ate it! The poor dear still felt too sick to even wipe her beak off. But she did also start to poop again too! The next day was my birthday, so really this was the best birthday gift I've ever gotten - Marcy's recovery! The mere fact that she had her appetite back, I knew she'd be okay.
IMG_20230415_133940005.jpg
IMG_20230415_133944897.jpg

I was able to enjoy the surprise birthday gifts my mother got for me on the 16th without the worry of Marcy hanging over me. She was eating and I was giving her yogurt, cooked egg, water with ACV, and water with garlic to try to help combat the yeast as much as possible while I waited for her Medistatin.
IMG_20230416_162706892.jpg

Miconazole treatment from the 9th -15th was her week. Thankfully that last day she was doing a lot better. No more vent gleet and she had her appetite back. It was the day before my birthday and honestly that was the best birthday gift ever. Marcy was getting better and I knew she was going to make it.

She continued getting better over the following days. The vent gleet cleared up fast, she was eating normally, and started to get a little more active and stronger each passing day. Her meds arrived on the 21st but I figured I'd wait a couple more days so she at least had a week being off Miconazole.
IMG_20230420_144715406.jpg

On the 23rd I began her Nystatin treatment. Within the first two days of it, she improved so drastically she was pretty much 100% normal again. Active, running around, flapping, not flicking her head, the popping sound was gone and she started chirping again. Her voice was definitely changing so it was a little rougher than before all this started. But all in all she was better and I was so happy!!
IMG_20230428_122105744_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230428_165803066_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230428_165817372_HDR.jpg

Odd Bullseye Eggs - Moose
So an odd thing has been going on with Moose. Her eggs have been having an odd blue end on them. She is the only one who's been having this issue which I find confusing. I figure it's a calcium issue but they have plenty of oyster shell available to eat. Not all eggs have the blue, some just have an odd discoloration.
IMG_20230421_101518820.jpg

One day I actually found a plain egg yolk lying under their outside roost. Everyone except Moose laid that day so I figured it was Moose. This was a bit alarming so I started adding the oyster shell directly into the feed in hopes she'd eat more of it. No more random yolks, but the eggs still were discolored.
IMG_20230422_092937544.jpg

Alice's Crooked Beak
Good news is that Alice's beak hasn't gotten much worse. I feared it would keep getting worse as she grew but it's really not that bad at all. Despite all her earlier health issues, she's become such a bold and beautiful pullet! She's very spunky and inquisitive; she's always the first rushing to go outside. If you open their enclosure door, she's the first one out. Very bright and observant - it makes me so happy seeing her doing great after her rough start in life!

Shame these pictures came out so blurry. I'll have to get better ones next time. She really didn't want to sit still for long.
IMG_20230428_171433321_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230428_171434825_HDR.jpg

Ella New Nesting Location
For a while now Ella has contented herself with laying eggs in her cage in the morning/evening and the coop nesting box during the day. I don't know if it's because she keeps finding the nesting box occupied or what, but she's starting to lay in weird places...

I have three nesting boxes for all 7 of them to use. And yet, they all insist on using just the one. If it's occupied and someone else needs it, they'll just lay an egg down in the run! Or, in Ella's case, under the porch stairs... :barnie

Sometimes Ella skips a day; usually I get 4-5 eggs a week from her. On the 3rd day when I hadn't gotten an egg from her, I was worried she was egg bound. Then, I caught her in the act!

She was squeezing between the coop and the stairs trying to nest. Silly bird! Eventually she shuffled up under the porch stairs. When I checked there later, I found two eggs.

Please pardon the mess. I've got some wire that sticks out weird and fearing the birds might get cut on it, I threw this old red and green bag on top. Seems Ella thought this could be a potential spot, before settling on using the area under the stairs. :idunno
IMG_20230426_165630830.jpg

Filburt's Tail Has Arrived!
Meanwhile, my little Leghorn cockerel's tail is getting curly! He's feathered out a lot more over the month and finally looks like a proper chicken! He still is missing a bit of feathering around the neck but I'm sure that'll fill out soon enough. Still no crowing, though, and he's 9 weeks old as of the end of April. His wattles are also pretty tiny and Tirdy's have started to catch up.
IMG_20230417_140046186_HDR.jpg

They don't really get along well with the Marcy and the Crevecoeurs (sounds like a band name, haha) but I can at least keep them in the same run during the day now. I don't dare to coop them up in the same cage at night. There's really not enough room for them to get away. In the run, they love to sit up on the roost to get some private time. They get a little bit bullied by the others but nothing too bad. I have seen Marcy jump at them and Leslie specifically targets them with a peck if they walk past her but it stays pretty mild. I'm hoping they'll work it out.

Tirdy (left) Filburt (right)
IMG_20230428_165757083_HDR.jpg

I seem to have really bad luck when it comes to introducing chickens to the flock. Especially considering the fact that Tirdy and Filburt have been around the Crevecoeur flock since I first got them.

Baby photo flashback time:
IMG_20230227_164912083(1).jpg

See? They know each other. I just couldn't raise them together because of the age gap. Big babies flapping and jumping around; they nearly trampled the littles.

The Easter Eggers I can kind of understand even if they accepted Ella for about a month before ousting her. Ella picks on the babies but does like to hang around them, which is probably purely because they back down to her - they're no threat right now. Although... Alice has been getting bold. She walked right up to Ella and gave her a good peck one day. Ella was about to go to war so I had to intervene and shoo Ella out of the babies run for a little breather. Alice will even peck at my Sheltie who is almost a year old and several times her size. I've got cliques formed and no one wants to bridge the gap! Except Cleo. Cleo is my only sweet girl. She backed down to Ella to the point that Ella was actually bullying her. I also let Cleo into the run with the babies. If anything, she was spooked and wanted back out, haha.

Oh well! Hopefully they'll all at least forage together in peace. I can have two big coops+runs for the two big flocks then maybe reuse my small coop for Tirdy & Filburt. I guess we'll see how it goes! 🍀

May 2023 - Troubled Times Continue

It's amazing how rough it's been since I got 9 chicks in February. Going from 7 to 16 chickens really increases your odds for problems but it feels like too much, you know? Still, I want to start by saying that I can't express enough how grateful I am for this site and the people here. I read a lot before getting my first 6 pullets and even still I find myself reading through various health issues so I can increase my knowledge. I've been able to recognize some stuff right away and treat it. For other stuff I've encountered, I've gotten such helpful answers on here. All of this would've been a lot worse and I'm sure I would've lost more birds if not for you folks here. Thank you so much. :hugs

Calcium Needs Increase P1: Zelda
Now I would like to mention right away that my Easter Eggers did actually lay during the winter and they were decently productive - often 3-4 eggs daily. Egg production, however, increased during April (pretty normal springtime thing). Very exciting to have every girl lay in a single day! It's been my first experience being bombarded with so many eggs! I keep oyster shell freely available but I wasn't putting it in their coop at night. Still, I figured they could get enough of it during the day, right? I mean, it's sitting right there and they peck at it as they want it so they must be getting enough... right???

Wrong!

On May 2nd Zelda started panting, which I knew wasn't right. I had them indoors last year so I got very accustomed to what they could handle. When it was 110F outside, our AC was struggling to keep the house at 75-78F. My closet was often around 80-83F and they would be panting in there.

Anyway, the weather was in the 60s and no one else was panting. She stopped panting later on in the day so I figured it might just be her overexerting herself somehow. But of course I knew to keep my eye on her.

Panting Zelda.png

May 3rd she wasn't doing very well. She was lethargic, her comb was pale, and she was panting. I have never encountered this in all my reading up on stuff so I didn't really know where to start so I asked about it on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/panting-and-lethargic-need-help-identifying-cause.1577859/

IMG_20230503_172507018.jpg

A HUGE thank you to Wyorp Rock for letting me know she needed more calcium and to get her some Calcium Citrate with D3 tablets at the store. Everything I've read about chickens being low on calcium often spoke of symptoms showing in their eggs. Zelda was laying proper eggs, 5-6 days a week. I would've never thought her symptoms were calcium related.

I brought her inside that night to keep an eye on her and kept a bowl of crushed oyster shell as well as water available the entire night. She definitely gobbled up a lot of it and drank a lot of water.

IMG_20230504_085403049.jpg

She wasn't very hungry on the morning of the 4th which worried me but she wasn't weak. In fact, she came hopping up on my nightstand to mope for a bit before eventually hopping onto me to perch.

IMG_20230504_091220334.jpg
IMG_20230504_102123990.jpg

After giving her the extra calcium, she perked up and quickly returned to normal so I let her back out with her flock. The next day she even came running up to me as if to say thank you. Although, now, she's gotten a bit territorial over the oyster shell and will chase the others away from it when she's eating... but I'm making sure everyone gets plenty of calcium.

IMG_20230505_144206883(1).jpg

Calcium Needs Increase P2: Moose
That brings me to Moose actually. Remember those odd eggs? I figured it was something to do with calcium so I ended up buying a bag of layer feed for everyone, this kind with the higher protein:

IMG_20230606_140125253.jpg

I was hoping this would help but go figure, everyone hates the stuff. It's very difficult to get them to eat it. They usually eat Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. I switched to Purina Flock Raiser pellets for a couple bags because I was tired of the dust but I switched back to crumbles in February when I got the babies. To further confirm it's the food and not the pellets, I soaked the pellets to make a mush. Yep, it's the food. They'll eat it as a mush, but very slowly and they'll yell at me that they're hungry. Then I'll catch them raiding the babies' feeder when the babies are outside, if it's within reach. :rolleyes:

Still, I was able to increase Moose's intake and her eggs are back to normal! Hopefully with all of this, all my laying girls should be set as far as calcium needs go.

Ella's Passing
Since I already made a post here about it I won't go into all the details, but May 10th was so hard. Ella (White Crested Black Polish) passed away during the night and I found her in the morning. It was so sudden. I've been so anxious ever since, worried I might lose someone else.

I've been propagating some petunias by cutting and when they get rooted, I'll be planting some of them around Ella's tree. I also got some mulch and some trim I can put up as well to make it all very pretty. Lastly, I bought some dremel tips for stone carving so I can carve her gravestone. I'm hoping early June I'll have it ready.

photo_2023-06-05_21-50-47.jpg

Thankfully all my other birds have been healthy! I got worried when I saw Marcy flicking her head a bit more often than normal the day Ella passed so I put her on full Nystatin dosage for 7 days just in case she still had excess candida in her system. I just couldn't take anymore problems and seeing her symptoms showing again freaked me out. It seemed to have help! The head flicking stopped again and she hasn't shown symptoms again.

She doesn't eat anything other than feed, cooked egg as a rare treat, and whatever she pecks at in their sandy run (which isn't much). I don't see why she would have these issues unless A) I never fully got rid of it or B) she's sensitive to the feed or C) she's got some kind of crop issues. I'm going to be getting her some probiotics to help promote better crop health.

Meanwhile I did buy some Permethrin (Martin's 13.3%) so I'll be using that in the coops, runs, and on the birds to keep the bugs off them. The gnats have been persistently bad. I feel bad seeing the babies get swarmed. I'm just a little nervous since I have ferrets and (like cats) the stuff can kill them. The ferrets aren't around the chickens nor the back yard, but the babies are still inside the house at night in the living room (ferrets are in my bedroom). I read it's safe when dry? I need to do a tad more studying to make sure and ease my mind.

IMG_20230606_140224852.jpg

Other Scares
Other than a couple other scares, everyone has been doing great! One day Mim took flight and I thought she was going to land on the roosting bar in the run. However, she didn't have quite enough air and she crashed right into the roost. It knocked her onto her back! I was so scared, but she's fine thankfully. I'm still concerned about internal damage but I haven't seen anything suspicious and it's already been over a week since the incident. She's been eating, drinking, and such without issue so here's hoping all is well.

Also, an owl pair moved into the neighborhood this month. I haven't seen them personally but I've heard them in the trees in our yard at night until I scared them off with a flashlight. They're still in the neighborhood; a couple times a week I hear them during the late afternoon. I'm pretty sure they're barred owls based on their call. They'd likely have a rough time of going for 4.5lb nearly 1 year old hens but I want to be careful. If I'm not outside with them, I make certain my little chicken stalker is.

And speaking of him, I figured he needed a playmate! I've been on the lookout for another Sheltie for a few months. On May 22nd, I adopted a 6mo female Shetland Sheepdog! I named her Mona.

IMG_20230522_134423828.jpg

She's still adjusting to her new home, but she is wonderful with the chickens. She ignores them unlike Fiasco but she's still good around them. Plus Fiasco and her get to play so he can have someone to engage with more when I'm not around. This has curbed his behavior towards Zelda! So I think I have a great pair of chicken guardians! There is a neighborhood cat that I've caught stalking my chickens, hiding in the grass and scaring them, so Fiasco is great at keeping the cat outside of the yard.

IMG_20230531_131735351(1).jpg

I also figured it was time to start introducing the babies to the full yard. I let Tirdy and Filburt out by the compost pile for a bit. They are quite a pair!

IMG_20230529_152956647.jpg

Lastly I want to share a little of my gardening. It is connected to my chickens, I promise! I actually want to grow snacks for them such as kale, carrots, collard greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.

Last year my garden in the yard failed miserably (which has now become my compost area). I quickly learned how difficult it can be to grow in Georgia. Where I grew up, southern Ohio, we could simply plant and it would thrive. I remember as a kid finding little carrots and turnips growing in the gravel driveway and other random areas. The worst pest I remember us dealing with were those Japanese beetles. Despite the family of rabbits living under our zucchini, they thrived wonderfully and I remember all the yummy zucchini bread mom made. She taught me everything she knew about that garden. Most of that just doesn't work here in Georgia.

So yeah, I was kinda dumb and didn't educate myself beforehand. I think, too, I was just so excited to finally have a garden again. Lesson learned! Nearly everything I planted grew stunted and died early. My broccoli and cabbage plants were destroyed by cabbage butterfly caterpillars. My only two good tomato plants that hung on for dear life and produced Roma tomatoes began to suffer blossom end rot. My corn began to produce cobs only to immediately die off. My zucchini plants were stunted and the only one I was able to keep alive got killed by a vine borer before it even produced. I kept adding garden topsoil that seemed to just vanish a week later leaving sandy soil behind. I fertilized with miracle grow, watered every day during the hot spells, bought BT to fight off the caterpillars and hornworms that appeared. It was a losing battle. The only plants that seemed to do fine were my Marigolds and Basil. But regardless, I finally just walked away.

IMG_20220610_151331898_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220601_130921390_HDR.jpg

I was pretty proud of the Dwarf Bolero Marigolds I managed to actually grow from seed in that horrible soil. I even collected hundreds of seeds from the spent blossoms and have been growing them again this year. Little 3mo old Fiasco was there was witness my successes and eventual downfall, haha.
IMG_20220805_155153253_HDR(1).jpg

I did have one cherry tomato plant in a container that actually thrived wonderfully. (That's the plant Ella would pick tomatoes from and eat them, RIP you sweet bird.)

IMG_20220706_174033674_HDR.jpg
IMG_20221002_135723217.jpg

That plant inspired me do container growing this year. I was also gifted a greenhouse for my birthday, but that thing gets so hot. I'm making a shade cloth cover to use during the summer.

IMG_20230430_131737576_HDR(1).jpg
IMG_20230521_192452421.jpg IMG_20230521_192447546.jpg

But the plants are doing great and I'm hoping to feed some stuff to the chickens! Tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, and squash (pumpkins & zucchini) have been prospering so the chickens will get to enjoy those! I was growing cherry tomatoes primarily for Ella but the others will enjoy them. I also got some blueberry bushes so they'll get to feast on those in the future too! I'm hoping this helps cut back on food costs a little bit; still want to make sure they eat mostly their healthy feed of course but since they free range and gobble up tons of bugs too, I think their diet is pretty well-balanced.

IMG_20230521_143039751_HDR.jpg IMG_20230523_181855585_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230526_174551482.jpg

I also ordered a compost tumbler hoping to compost chicken manure and other food waste for my gardening. I was really looking forward to May 10th because that's actually the day it was due to arrive. So that stung quite a bit. Hard to look at that tumbler without thinking about Ella too. Still, I'm going to think positively. I'm hoping the good compost will make growing next year even better and maybe I'll be able to make the yard more hospitable to plants!

IMG_20230529_171208850.jpg

So much good stuff to focus on but I still have a dark cloud hanging over me from Ella's death. I'm nervous of what June will bring. I hope it'll be a better month.

May 2023 - Troubled Times Continue

It's amazing how rough it's been since I got 9 chicks in February. Going from 7 to 16 chickens really increases your odds for problems but it feels like too much, you know? Still, I want to start by saying that I can't express enough how grateful I am for this site and the people here. I read a lot before getting my first 6 pullets and even still I find myself reading through various health issues so I can increase my knowledge. I've been able to recognize some stuff right away and treat it. For other stuff I've encountered, I've gotten such helpful answers on here. All of this would've been a lot worse and I'm sure I would've lost more birds if not for you folks here. Thank you so much. :hugs

Calcium Needs Increase P1: Zelda
Now I would like to mention right away that my Easter Eggers did actually lay during the winter and they were decently productive - often 3-4 eggs daily. Egg production, however, increased during April (pretty normal springtime thing). Very exciting to have every girl lay in a single day! It's been my first experience being bombarded with so many eggs! I keep oyster shell freely available but I wasn't putting it in their coop at night. Still, I figured they could get enough of it during the day, right? I mean, it's sitting right there and they peck at it as they want it so they must be getting enough... right???

Wrong!

On May 2nd Zelda started panting, which I knew wasn't right. I had them indoors last year so I got very accustomed to what they could handle. When it was 110F outside, our AC was struggling to keep the house at 75-78F. My closet was often around 80-83F and they would be panting in there.

Anyway, the weather was in the 60s and no one else was panting. She stopped panting later on in the day so I figured it might just be her overexerting herself somehow. But of course I knew to keep my eye on her.

View attachment 3530569

May 3rd she wasn't doing very well. She was lethargic, her comb was pale, and she was panting. I have never encountered this in all my reading up on stuff so I didn't really know where to start so I asked about it on here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/panting-and-lethargic-need-help-identifying-cause.1577859/

View attachment 3530571

A HUGE thank you to Wyorp Rock for letting me know she needed more calcium and to get her some Calcium Citrate with D3 tablets at the store. Everything I've read about chickens being low on calcium often spoke of symptoms showing in their eggs. Zelda was laying proper eggs, 5-6 days a week. I would've never thought her symptoms were calcium related.

I brought her inside that night to keep an eye on her and kept a bowl of crushed oyster shell as well as water available the entire night. She definitely gobbled up a lot of it and drank a lot of water.

View attachment 3530575

She wasn't very hungry on the morning of the 4th which worried me but she wasn't weak. In fact, she came hopping up on my nightstand to mope for a bit before eventually hopping onto me to perch.

View attachment 3530577
View attachment 3530578

After giving her the extra calcium, she perked up and quickly returned to normal so I let her back out with her flock. The next day she even came running up to me as if to say thank you. Although, now, she's gotten a bit territorial over the oyster shell and will chase the others away from it when she's eating... but I'm making sure everyone gets plenty of calcium.

View attachment 3530583

Calcium Needs Increase P2: Moose
That brings me to Moose actually. Remember those odd eggs? I figured it was something to do with calcium so I ended up buying a bag of layer feed for everyone, this kind with the higher protein:

View attachment 3531650

I was hoping this would help but go figure, everyone hates the stuff. It's very difficult to get them to eat it. They usually eat Purina Flock Raiser crumbles. I switched to Purina Flock Raiser pellets for a couple bags because I was tired of the dust but I switched back to crumbles in February when I got the babies. To further confirm it's the food and not the pellets, I soaked the pellets to make a mush. Yep, it's the food. They'll eat it as a mush, but very slowly and they'll yell at me that they're hungry. Then I'll catch them raiding the babies' feeder when the babies are outside, if it's within reach. :rolleyes:

Still, I was able to increase Moose's intake and her eggs are back to normal! Hopefully with all of this, all my laying girls should be set as far as calcium needs go.

Ella's Passing
Since I already made a post here about it I won't go into all the details, but May 10th was so hard. Ella (White Crested Black Polish) passed away during the night and I found her in the morning. It was so sudden. I've been so anxious ever since, worried I might lose someone else.

I've been propagating some petunias by cutting and when they get rooted, I'll be planting some of them around Ella's tree. I also got some mulch and some trim I can put up as well to make it all very pretty. Lastly, I bought some dremel tips for stone carving so I can carve her gravestone. I'm hoping early June I'll have it ready.

View attachment 3530597

Thankfully all my other birds have been healthy! I got worried when I saw Marcy flicking her head a bit more often than normal the day Ella passed so I put her on full Nystatin dosage for 7 days just in case she still had excess candida in her system. I just couldn't take anymore problems and seeing her symptoms showing again freaked me out. It seemed to have help! The head flicking stopped again and she hasn't shown symptoms again.

She doesn't eat anything other than feed, cooked egg as a rare treat, and whatever she pecks at in their sandy run (which isn't much). I don't see why she would have these issues unless A) I never fully got rid of it or B) she's sensitive to the feed or C) she's got some kind of crop issues. I'm going to be getting her some probiotics to help promote better crop health.

Meanwhile I did buy some Permethrin (Martin's 13.3%) so I'll be using that in the coops, runs, and on the birds to keep the bugs off them. The gnats have been persistently bad. I feel bad seeing the babies get swarmed. I'm just a little nervous since I have ferrets and (like cats) the stuff can kill them. The ferrets aren't around the chickens nor the back yard, but the babies are still inside the house at night in the living room (ferrets are in my bedroom). I read it's safe when dry? I need to do a tad more studying to make sure and ease my mind.

View attachment 3531651

Other Scares
Other than a couple other scares, everyone has been doing great! One day Mim took flight and I thought she was going to land on the roosting bar in the run. However, she didn't have quite enough air and she crashed right into the roost. It knocked her onto her back! I was so scared, but she's fine thankfully. I'm still concerned about internal damage but I haven't seen anything suspicious and it's already been over a week since the incident. She's been eating, drinking, and such without issue so here's hoping all is well.

Also, an owl pair moved into the neighborhood this month. I haven't seen them personally but I've heard them in the trees in our yard at night until I scared them off with a flashlight. They're still in the neighborhood; a couple times a week I hear them during the late afternoon. I'm pretty sure they're barred owls based on their call. They'd likely have a rough time of going for 4.5lb nearly 1 year old hens but I want to be careful. If I'm not outside with them, I make certain my little chicken stalker is.

And speaking of him, I figured he needed a playmate! I've been on the lookout for another Sheltie for a few months. On May 22nd, I adopted a 6mo female Shetland Sheepdog! I named her Mona.

View attachment 3530644

She's still adjusting to her new home, but she is wonderful with the chickens. She ignores them unlike Fiasco but she's still good around them. Plus Fiasco and her get to play so he can have someone to engage with more when I'm not around. This has curbed his behavior towards Zelda! So I think I have a great pair of chicken guardians! There is a neighborhood cat that I've caught stalking my chickens, hiding in the grass and scaring them, so Fiasco is great at keeping the cat outside of the yard.

View attachment 3530645

I also figured it was time to start introducing the babies to the full yard. I let Tirdy and Filburt out by the compost pile for a bit. They are quite a pair!

View attachment 3530647

Lastly I want to share a little of my gardening. It is connected to my chickens, I promise! I actually want to grow snacks for them such as kale, carrots, collard greens, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.

Last year my garden in the yard failed miserably (which has now become my compost area). I quickly learned how difficult it can be to grow in Georgia. Where I grew up, southern Ohio, we could simply plant and it would thrive. I remember as a kid finding little carrots and turnips growing in the gravel driveway and other random areas. The worst pest I remember us dealing with were those Japanese beetles. Despite the family of rabbits living under our zucchini, they thrived wonderfully and I remember all the yummy zucchini bread mom made. She taught me everything she knew about that garden. Most of that just doesn't work here in Georgia.

So yeah, I was kinda dumb and didn't educate myself beforehand. I think, too, I was just so excited to finally have a garden again. Lesson learned! Nearly everything I planted grew stunted and died early. My broccoli and cabbage plants were destroyed by cabbage butterfly caterpillars. My only two good tomato plants that hung on for dear life and produced Roma tomatoes began to suffer blossom end rot. My corn began to produce cobs only to immediately die off. My zucchini plants were stunted and the only one I was able to keep alive got killed by a vine borer before it even produced. I kept adding garden topsoil that seemed to just vanish a week later leaving sandy soil behind. I fertilized with miracle grow, watered every day during the hot spells, bought BT to fight off the caterpillars and hornworms that appeared. It was a losing battle. The only plants that seemed to do fine were my Marigolds and Basil. But regardless, I finally just walked away.

View attachment 3530909
View attachment 3530913

I was pretty proud of the Dwarf Bolero Marigolds I managed to actually grow from seed in that horrible soil. I even collected hundreds of seeds from the spent blossoms and have been growing them again this year. Little 3mo old Fiasco was there was witness my successes and eventual downfall, haha.
View attachment 3530987

I did have one cherry tomato plant in a container that actually thrived wonderfully. (That's the plant Ella would pick tomatoes from and eat them, RIP you sweet bird.)

View attachment 3530989
View attachment 3530907

That plant inspired me do container growing this year. I was also gifted a greenhouse for my birthday, but that thing gets so hot. I'm making a shade cloth cover to use during the summer.

View attachment 3531022
View attachment 3531025View attachment 3531024

But the plants are doing great and I'm hoping to feed some stuff to the chickens! Tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, and squash (pumpkins & zucchini) have been prospering so the chickens will get to enjoy those! I was growing cherry tomatoes primarily for Ella but the others will enjoy them. I also got some blueberry bushes so they'll get to feast on those in the future too! I'm hoping this helps cut back on food costs a little bit; still want to make sure they eat mostly their healthy feed of course but since they free range and gobble up tons of bugs too, I think their diet is pretty well-balanced.

View attachment 3531021View attachment 3531027
View attachment 3531033

I also ordered a compost tumbler hoping to compost chicken manure and other food waste for my gardening. I was really looking forward to May 10th because that's actually the day it was due to arrive. So that stung quite a bit. Hard to look at that tumbler without thinking about Ella too. Still, I'm going to think positively. I'm hoping the good compost will make growing next year even better and maybe I'll be able to make the yard more hospitable to plants!

View attachment 3531037

So much good stuff to focus on but I still have a dark cloud hanging over me from Ella's death. I'm nervous of what June will bring. I hope it'll be a better month.
Thanks for sharing. :hugs

WOW, Cinnaminute, you've really been through it! So glad the other challenged chickles got better, well done! And yes, there's such a wealth of knowledge & experience here on BYC, shared with such generosity - I feel like the community has my back,whatever chicken issues might arise!

And congrats on adopting Mona; it's wonderful that Fiasco has a canine companion to play and hang with, and also wonderful that she's by nature so good around the chickens.

I grew up in Georgia (Marietta & Kennesaw) and remember my gardener Mom and her friends bemoaning the awful Red Georgia Clay they were plagued with! Mom and Dad ended up ordering loads of topsoil to fill their planter boxes around the house as no amount of soil amendments seemed to make enough difference to that clay for a decent garden to grow.

Here's hoping you have much smoother sailing in the summer months ahead!

June 2023 - More Babies?! & Calcium Chaos Continues

In retrospect, June wasn't bad. Stressful, sure, but not bad. I'm thankful that every challenge has been solvable. I'm also thankful that there haven't been any deaths. That tells me Ella's passing definitely was an outlier. I still wish she didn't leave so soon...

New Additions?!
On that note, well, my mom surprised me. If you've read my other posts or at least the one about Ella, you know how my mom got Ella for me for free. She too was really sad about Ella's passing and she knew how I fell in love with crested chickens because of her. Well, she ended up reserving two Polish chicks for me. Very sweet! Though I did feel conflicted. Felt a little too soon, but she said she thought I'd like to watch a White Crested Black Polish chick grow up since I never knew Ella as a baby. And maybe it'd be healing for me. The other Polish is a Buff Laced. She remembered how I showed her a picture of a frizzled one that I thought was adorable. This little one isn't frizzle but that's perfectly fine! Thanks mom! Spoiling me well into adulthood, haha. And adding more responsibilities onto my plate. I love ya all the same. ❤️

I never knew White Crested Black chicks are SO tiny! :eek:
IMG_20230609_120219998.jpg

My mom took me to go get them together. Well, I'm sure you can kinda see it in the corner there but... I saw they had Speckled Sussex chicks. Now, you see, way back last year in maybe April or May, before I got chickens, I was looking into breeds and I really wanted Speckled Sussex. So seeing those chicks, I couldn't help myself. :oops:

I bought two. I'm officially chicken addicted. Send help.
IMG_20230609_120338300_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230609_120309741_HDR.jpg

I didn't realize at first, but it turned out that the Speckles were quite a bit older... probably around 2 weeks. However, they were kept in a bin with a lot of really young babies so I figured I could put the four together. Thankfully it worked out just fine!

IMG_20230610_135134229(1).jpg

I did decide on names pretty quickly! The bigger Speckled Sussex is Truffles, the smaller one is Hazel, the Buff Laced Polish is Peaches, and the White Crested Black Polish is Pooka. ❤️

Home Home on the Free Range!
Speaking of babies, the beginning of June meant my other 9 not-so-much-babies-anymore-but-still-my-babies are all around 13-15wks old. Definitely big enough to start free ranging! Even though (thankfully) predators around here are at a minimum, I still get pretty anxious about them wandering around. Even more so when 6 of them are crested! We do have a barred owl pair that moved into the neighborhood and hawks have occasionally been seen. And I kind of don't trust the neighbors' free roaming cats.

IMG_20230605_150635875_HDR.jpg

Still, they did wonderfully and were pretty excited to be out wandering around! Over the course of several days, they took their time walking the perimeter of the yard. I found it pretty fascinating that they were figuring out the borders. The Easter Eggers never really bothered with that and instead just stayed in areas they saw me walk to. Which meant they never actually explored the second yard until I walked out that way and they followed. Of course, the Easter Eggers were there to set an example, which helped the babies learn all the good spots!

IMG_20230605_142706655_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230616_155926841_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230616_160041102_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230616_160153995_HDR.jpg

Gaz has this one brown feather in her tail, which I find so cute! It's her little beauty mark!
IMG_20230616_160046616_HDR.jpg

Summer Heat Shenanigans
Unfortunately, June also means the heat finally settled in. Mid 90s in the shade and high humidity has been pretty miserable for all. Thanks to the shifting of the sun, I realized that despite being up against the house and under a huge tree that shades the whole back yard, part of their coop gets hit with the sun during the morning hours and heats up the nesting boxes. 🥵

Thankfully I'm completely redoing their setup and will eventually have a good 7x10 coop along with a run that'll be about 10x20, I think? Reusing a lot of old dog kennels so I can't quite recall how much is there. Plus I ordered a huge shade cloth that's supposed to cut 50% of the sun so that'll be added to the roofing of the run too. Of course they'll have the whole yard to free range still. Due to the heat, though, I'm taking my sweet time getting everything in order. I wish I had gotten it done earlier...

To fight the heat, I've been freezing plastic bottles of water and putting those inside the coop, nesting boxes, and in places throughout the yard where they lounge to help cool things down.
photo_2023-07-13_13-13-55.jpg
photo_2023-07-13_13-14-04.jpg

The chickens soon found what I figure is the coolest spot in the yard, the underneath of a bench by our little house shed thing. So I've cleaned it up better around there and keep pretty much everything they could want within reach - food, water, oyster shell, etc. It's become quite a hot spot, though the two flocks don't like to interact much so either the EEs are there or the other 9 are there.

They totally wish I'd let them under the house itself. Have to cover the stairs with a tarp for the time being to keep them out. The prior owners used it as some workshop. They had cable going out there but I've found the lines were cut. They had water, but that got capped apparently years before we bought the place. Not to mention there's a gas line under there too. And who knows what else could be under there...
IMG_20230606_140458493.jpg
IMG_20230630_155243780_HDR(1).jpg

I've been seeing HUGE snakes. Well, really just two. The first one definitely had to be 5-6 feet long. Scared my Crevecoeur pullets. The other I saw slither up under that porch and it was about 3-4 feet long. I'm assuming these are rat snakes or what some folks call chicken snakes. Thankfully they pay my chickens no heed but still, no. No chickens under the porch.

This was just the tip of the tail. Tirdy wants to know if she can eat it.
IMG_20230701_120317108_HDR.jpg

Eventually it got so hot that it was still 82F at almost midnight (only getting down to 77-79 during the late night). I've grown familiar with my Easter Eggers tolerance (and I assume this is how most chickens are)... I know they start to pant around 80. I felt really bad for them and didn't have the heart to leave them out there without having the chance for their bodies to actually get a break.

So I opted to make them a cooling center. I originally meant to set up one of our large cages inside the small house. The front has a garage-style door and I thought I could line the cage up in a way that they could willingly go through the door and stand in the cage to cool anytime during the day. However, the window AC in that house is really old and freezes up so that wasn't going to be viable.
Well, here I am again with them in the house. :th
I don't think many people can say they have 20 chickens in their living room. But I can.
{"Wait!" you might be saying. "You have 6 EEs hens, 9 other young, and 4 new babies. That's only 19!" And you'd be right, but...)

Thankfully they don't get to be in here all daffy day. Right now, I have two cages setup in the living room and a makeshift box cage (my poor living room, but better there than my bedroom). I bring everyone in (one chicken at a time...) anywhere from 3-5pm (depending on how hot). Then around 11-12pm I take the Easter Eggers back out to their coop.

I can really tell the cool down period for the EEs has helped them tremendously but sadly that hasn't been enough...

Calcium Usage Through the Roof!
Obviously we know calcium is super important for chickens but I've learned just how crazy their calcium needs are in the heat as well as providing plenty of necessary nutrients for absorption. However, I've been having such a wild time finding the balance. It seems every other day one of my EEs were feeling off. Two of them are definitely more sensitive: Moose and Cleo. I've even caught Moose on two occasions doing a penguin-like walk before finally just dropping a soft shell egg.

Moose showing lethargy and that raised rear with lowered tail:
IMG_20230609_155531901.jpg

Moose laid two soft shells on one of her worst days. Her poop also looks like she was dehydrated a bit, I think.
IMG_20230609_155733372.jpg
IMG_20230609_172851762.jpg

I haven't had a single issue with Tilly or Stitch this entire time. Both lay as they should. No soft shell eggs. No shell-less eggs. No sickness aka panting (unless hot), lethargy, hunched posture, etc.

Kiki and Zelda have been mostly good - I've had an occurrence from each of them with some lethargy but a calcium tablet has helped them bounce back.

Moose and Cleo, though. I really feel for them. Nearly every other day one of them gets lethargic. I'm stuffing a calcium tablet down each of them every other day (about to be once a day). Originally, you may recall, last month I was quite happy that the calcium tablets got Moose back to laying normal eggs. Well, now she's laying the odd colored eggs again despite the extra calcium boost.

photo_2023-07-13_19-11-28.jpg

Those two girls hate me now with all the wattle-pulling and tablet-down-the-throat-stuffing. :hit

New Egg Layers!
It's not all rotten in egg-land, however! On June 9th Tirdy started squatting for me! A good tell-tale that she would soon start to lay. Shocking, though, considering she's only 15wks at this point. She matured so fast too while Filburt has been maturing as slow as molasses going uphill in January!

Filburt (left) Tirdy (right)
IMG_20230609_143412585_HDR.jpg

Look at that cockerel energy! But no redness; barely any comb or wattles! What a little weirdo! Though honestly, I don't think I'm ready for my first matured rooster so take all the time you need, Filburt!
filburt.PNG

I thought perhaps Tirdy would still take a few weeks before laying, but only 5 days later on the 14th she laid her first egg! So young?! I mean, I don't know her exact hatch date but she couldn't be any older than 16wks.

Tirdy's First 2 Eggs!
IMG_20230615_091827956.jpg

Her starting so young has really thrown a wrench in my plans. Whatever plans those are... I don't think I have plans anymore. I'm just rolling with the punches and doing what I can when I can. But basically, I don't have anywhere else they can lay besides the outdoor nesting boxes. Again, there's 3 of them and the EEs all share 1. Yet they don't want to let anyone else in there to lay. Tirdy did manage to sneak in once and drop an egg, but the EEs defend that coop and don't like to let the other girls in.

Moose over here telling Tilly to hurry up and leave the nest.
IMG_20230615_094339608.jpg

So for a bit, if I wasn't around and Tirdy couldn't find a way into the house:
She would lay in an old empty flower pot on the porch.
IMG_20230627_125014957_HDR.jpg

(Please excuse the mess, we're redoing the back porch... and the chickens actually aren't allowed up here...)
IMG_20230627_123927013_HDR.jpg

But if I see Tirdy doing her egg-laying-panic dance out in the yard, I go ahead and bring her inside to lay in comfort.
IMG_20230613_135235865.jpg

Now, I did mention Egg Layers, so you guessed it! Tirdy isn't the only one who started to lay! Pretty exciting, but I've got a very similar situation going on...

Marcy laid her first egg on June 24th! I was pretty surprised at how pink-ish they are. A little less saturated than Kiki's pink eggs, but they quickly darkened up. Of course, Marcy's laying age is definitely normal, 19 going on 20wks. I'm so happy! It feels like it was only yesterday when I was battling sour crop with her and so afraid I'd lose her. But here she is! A mature pullet laying eggs nearly daily!

Marcy's first egg!
IMG_20230625_124110964.jpg

Marcy definitely got a bit weirded out about her first few eggs. She would peck at them a bit as if trying to figure out what kind of weird poop it was and then bury them. Finally she started to leave them be, haha!
IMG_20230624_094912226.jpg

It didn't take long before she got spoiled. If she's out in the yard and needs to lay, I'll find her hanging out on the porch staring at the door. Sometimes she even gets up on the banister and peers through the window. I bring her in and she's such a peaceful bird as she lays.

Unlike a certain someone...

Leslie! Another quick to mature chicken, I honestly didn't think any Crevecoeur would be laying until 6months+. But Leslie surprised me by laying the very next day after Marcy's first egg! Same age as Marcy, so 20wks/4mo.

So tiny! And off-white too.
IMG_20230627_123550076.jpg

She denied it, but it's hers.
IMG_20230625_123914849.jpg

Now Leslie is a little different from Tirdy and Marcy. Where Marcy peacefully seeks to come inside and Tirdy zooms about looking for where to nest... Leslie screams. She screams so loud. If she needs to lay, everyone knows. She screams in the morning the minute she sees me, demanding to go outside. After a panic run around the yard, whilst screaming, she never finds anywhere suitable to lay. Thus I must rush out there and bring her back inside. But that's not good enough. She screams in here too. Finally she started laying where she sees Marcy lay.

Size & Color Comparison:
photo_2023-07-13_19-11-21.jpg

And so now, I escort the three ladies inside when eggs are needing to be laid. They all want to lay in the same cage, usually wherever Marcy laid hers at since she is usually first.

I can't wait until they move out into their own home! :old
Of course, this is my fault. We're just two people and have taken on a LOT at once. I know once everything is setup, I can handle the workload but right now I feel like I'm raising over a dozen children!

Future Hatching Plans?
In the spirit of taking on too much at once, I bought a baby Crevecoeur rooster and was able to pick him up June 16th! Sadly I still don't have a name for the little guy yet! Been very indecisive.

IMG_20230616_122806529.jpg

Don't worry, I'm going to wait until I'm done getting all the coop/runs/etc. in order and make sure everything is running smoothly before I start considering hatching my own chicks. I may sell fertilized eggs though, but that's all for later. For now, I have a lot of work! And contending still with illnesses and such...

Coccidiosis Outbreak
The weather had been uncharacteristically cool up until June. We've had a ton of rain and storms which lasted even into the big heat up. On June 12th, I offered some sand from outside for the babies to play in. The very next morning I woke up to a bloody mess:

photo_2023-06-13_19-05-58.jpg

After making sure no pecking happened, I split the Speckles from the Polish. I suspected the Speckles got sick and quickly confirmed that was true - Truffles was pooping blood.

I had an unopened bag of powdered Corid on hand, but it had expired by about 6 months. I gave them some immediately. By the next morning Truffles became very lethargic and I got nervous. The other Speckled also began having bloody poops. I tried to find a place selling Corid but most places were sold out.

I got really lucky when checking back later in the afternoon and spent the extra money to have same day delivery from TSC. Got liquid this time too for a longer expiry date.

By the 15th, Truffles bounced back and the bloody poops cleared up after a total of 3-5 days.

As you can imagine, I wasn't very happy bringing home my Crevecoeur rooster during the outbreak in the brooder. I took a risk and added him to the group so he went right onto the medicine and kept with it for as long as everyone else. Everything turned out fine in the end, so I'm thankful!

Other Pet Health Problems
Now, I do want to share that while all of this had been going on, I had a really bad blockage scare with one of my ferrets. I have four in total (from oldest to youngest): Grim, Gumby, Dib, & Koko. Koko is my only girl.

Top to bottom: Koko, Gumby, Dib
IMG_20230102_121423373.jpg

Top to bottom: Grim, Gumby
IMG_20230208_211430431.jpg

Gumby in his Halloween outfit!
IMG_20220924_191415010.jpg

Well, Gumby has always had a slight urge to chew more than the others so I buy chew treats for him. They're not very good, but they're for ferrets and he's a very picky eater so getting him on bones has been near impossible.

I had to buy some more and noticed N-bone had a newer recipe available. They looked healthier so I opted to buy them than purchase the old recipe. That turned out to be a mistake...

See, Grim and Dib always want one too even though they only stash them away. So some days Gumby might end up eating 2 or 3 of these things if he finds their stashes. Turns out he can't digest the new ones as well I guess? He got blocked on them. Every few minutes he tried to poo and couldn't. They're potty trained but he'd just stop anywhere in an effort to try to potty. His poor little butt prolapsed as well and sometimes he'd cry out when trying to go. Broke my heart. Ferrets aren't very vocal and my four are pretty much silent.

I spent over a week giving him massages multiple times a day, holding a heat pack on him, and practically force-feeding him raw egg (it is a part of their diet but he wouldn't eat). For those that don't know, raw egg is really good at helping with blockages although most folks use canned pumpkin, I prefer not to if I can help it since they're obligate carnivores and shouldn't be eating squash.

IMG_20230616_133542458.jpg

When I didn't feed him raw egg, I was feeding him something called Carnivore Care. This stuff is amazing for all carnivores from ferrets to hawks to snakes. It is complete nutrition for them and had saved Grim's life before.

I'm happy to say Gumby recovered! We were on the verge of taking him to his vet but he started to poop little bits here and there so we just kept up the work. He did lose a LOT of weight. Normally Gumby is a pudgy little boy, but he got so thin I could feel his vertebrae. It's terrifying how fast creatures like ferrets and chickens can lose weight when ill. He's already putting weight back and I can't feel his bones as prominently anymore.

Burnout
The exhaustion of the past several months has really caught up with me. Many sleepless nights, worries, nursing animals back to health, and more. I have to say, in the end it's still worth it. When I see all my chickens, ferrets, and dogs living their happy lives... it puts such a smile on my face. I do feel that I shouldn't have taken on so much without adequate preparation but at least I can sit back and bit by bit get all the puzzle pieces in place. One promise I've made myself: no more critters!

Ramona (top) Fiasco (bottom)
IMG_20230701_145220302.jpg

Gumby checking the mail for me
photo_2023-07-13_21-47-07.jpg

Truffles judging my smartphone usage
IMG_20230702_145212125(1).jpg

Pooka with her Angry Moth Brows!
photo_2023-07-10_13-38-13.jpg

June 2023 - More Babies?! & Calcium Chaos Continues

In retrospect, June wasn't bad. Stressful, sure, but not bad. I'm thankful that every challenge has been solvable. I'm also thankful that there haven't been any deaths. That tells me Ella's passing definitely was an outlier. I still wish she didn't leave so soon...

New Additions?!
On that note, well, my mom surprised me. If you've read my other posts or at least the one about Ella, you know how my mom got Ella for me for free. She too was really sad about Ella's passing and she knew how I fell in love with crested chickens because of her. Well, she ended up reserving two Polish chicks for me. Very sweet! Though I did feel conflicted. Felt a little too soon, but she said she thought I'd like to watch a White Crested Black Polish chick grow up since I never knew Ella as a baby. And maybe it'd be healing for me. The other Polish is a Buff Laced. She remembered how I showed her a picture of a frizzled one that I thought was adorable. This little one isn't frizzle but that's perfectly fine! Thanks mom! Spoiling me well into adulthood, haha. And adding more responsibilities onto my plate. I love ya all the same. ❤️

I never knew White Crested Black chicks are SO tiny! :eek:
View attachment 3575813

My mom took me to go get them together. Well, I'm sure you can kinda see it in the corner there but... I saw they had Speckled Sussex chicks. Now, you see, way back last year in maybe April or May, before I got chickens, I was looking into breeds and I really wanted Speckled Sussex. So seeing those chicks, I couldn't help myself. :oops:

I bought two. I'm officially chicken addicted. Send help.
View attachment 3575817
View attachment 3575818

I didn't realize at first, but it turned out that the Speckles were quite a bit older... probably around 2 weeks. However, they were kept in a bin with a lot of really young babies so I figured I could put the four together. Thankfully it worked out just fine!

View attachment 3575833

I did decide on names pretty quickly! The bigger Speckled Sussex is Truffles, the smaller one is Hazel, the Buff Laced Polish is Peaches, and the White Crested Black Polish is Pooka. ❤️

Home Home on the Free Range!
Speaking of babies, the beginning of June meant my other 9 not-so-much-babies-anymore-but-still-my-babies are all around 13-15wks old. Definitely big enough to start free ranging! Even though (thankfully) predators around here are at a minimum, I still get pretty anxious about them wandering around. Even more so when 6 of them are crested! We do have a barred owl pair that moved into the neighborhood and hawks have occasionally been seen. And I kind of don't trust the neighbors' free roaming cats.

View attachment 3574077

Still, they did wonderfully and were pretty excited to be out wandering around! Over the course of several days, they took their time walking the perimeter of the yard. I found it pretty fascinating that they were figuring out the borders. The Easter Eggers never really bothered with that and instead just stayed in areas they saw me walk to. Which meant they never actually explored the second yard until I walked out that way and they followed. Of course, the Easter Eggers were there to set an example, which helped the babies learn all the good spots!

View attachment 3574070
View attachment 3575755
View attachment 3575756
View attachment 3575757

Gaz has this one brown feather in her tail, which I find so cute! It's her little beauty mark!
View attachment 3575753

Summer Heat Shenanigans
Unfortunately, June also means the heat finally settled in. Mid 90s in the shade and high humidity has been pretty miserable for all. Thanks to the shifting of the sun, I realized that despite being up against the house and under a huge tree that shades the whole back yard, part of their coop gets hit with the sun during the morning hours and heats up the nesting boxes. 🥵

Thankfully I'm completely redoing their setup and will eventually have a good 7x10 coop along with a run that'll be about 10x20, I think? Reusing a lot of old dog kennels so I can't quite recall how much is there. Plus I ordered a huge shade cloth that's supposed to cut 50% of the sun so that'll be added to the roofing of the run too. Of course they'll have the whole yard to free range still. Due to the heat, though, I'm taking my sweet time getting everything in order. I wish I had gotten it done earlier...

To fight the heat, I've been freezing plastic bottles of water and putting those inside the coop, nesting boxes, and in places throughout the yard where they lounge to help cool things down.
View attachment 3575787
View attachment 3575788

The chickens soon found what I figure is the coolest spot in the yard, the underneath of a bench by our little house shed thing. So I've cleaned it up better around there and keep pretty much everything they could want within reach - food, water, oyster shell, etc. It's become quite a hot spot, though the two flocks don't like to interact much so either the EEs are there or the other 9 are there.

They totally wish I'd let them under the house itself. Have to cover the stairs with a tarp for the time being to keep them out. The prior owners used it as some workshop. They had cable going out there but I've found the lines were cut. They had water, but that got capped apparently years before we bought the place. Not to mention there's a gas line under there too. And who knows what else could be under there...
View attachment 3574102
View attachment 3575792

I've been seeing HUGE snakes. Well, really just two. The first one definitely had to be 5-6 feet long. Scared my Crevecoeur pullets. The other I saw slither up under that porch and it was about 3-4 feet long. I'm assuming these are rat snakes or what some folks call chicken snakes. Thankfully they pay my chickens no heed but still, no. No chickens under the porch.

This was just the tip of the tail. Tirdy wants to know if she can eat it.
View attachment 3575791

Eventually it got so hot that it was still 82F at almost midnight (only getting down to 77-79 during the late night). I've grown familiar with my Easter Eggers tolerance (and I assume this is how most chickens are)... I know they start to pant around 80. I felt really bad for them and didn't have the heart to leave them out there without having the chance for their bodies to actually get a break.

So I opted to make them a cooling center. I originally meant to set up one of our large cages inside the small house. The front has a garage-style door and I thought I could line the cage up in a way that they could willingly go through the door and stand in the cage to cool anytime during the day. However, the window AC in that house is really old and freezes up so that wasn't going to be viable.
Well, here I am again with them in the house. :th
I don't think many people can say they have 20 chickens in their living room. But I can.
{"Wait!" you might be saying. "You have 6 EEs hens, 9 other young, and 4 new babies. That's only 19!" And you'd be right, but...)

Thankfully they don't get to be in here all daffy day. Right now, I have two cages setup in the living room and a makeshift box cage (my poor living room, but better there than my bedroom). I bring everyone in (one chicken at a time...) anywhere from 3-5pm (depending on how hot). Then around 11-12pm I take the Easter Eggers back out to their coop.

I can really tell the cool down period for the EEs has helped them tremendously but sadly that hasn't been enough...

Calcium Usage Through the Roof!
Obviously we know calcium is super important for chickens but I've learned just how crazy their calcium needs are in the heat as well as providing plenty of necessary nutrients for absorption. However, I've been having such a wild time finding the balance. It seems every other day one of my EEs were feeling off. Two of them are definitely more sensitive: Moose and Cleo. I've even caught Moose on two occasions doing a penguin-like walk before finally just dropping a soft shell egg.

Moose showing lethargy and that raised rear with lowered tail:
View attachment 3575860

Moose laid two soft shells on one of her worst days. Her poop also looks like she was dehydrated a bit, I think.
View attachment 3575864
View attachment 3575865

I haven't had a single issue with Tilly or Stitch this entire time. Both lay as they should. No soft shell eggs. No shell-less eggs. No sickness aka panting (unless hot), lethargy, hunched posture, etc.

Kiki and Zelda have been mostly good - I've had an occurrence from each of them with some lethargy but a calcium tablet has helped them bounce back.

Moose and Cleo, though. I really feel for them. Nearly every other day one of them gets lethargic. I'm stuffing a calcium tablet down each of them every other day (about to be once a day). Originally, you may recall, last month I was quite happy that the calcium tablets got Moose back to laying normal eggs. Well, now she's laying the odd colored eggs again despite the extra calcium boost.

View attachment 3576098

Those two girls hate me now with all the wattle-pulling and tablet-down-the-throat-stuffing. :hit

New Egg Layers!
It's not all rotten in egg-land, however! On June 9th Tirdy started squatting for me! A good tell-tale that she would soon start to lay. Shocking, though, considering she's only 15wks at this point. She matured so fast too while Filburt has been maturing as slow as molasses going uphill in January!

Filburt (left) Tirdy (right)
View attachment 3574184

Look at that cockerel energy! But no redness; barely any comb or wattles! What a little weirdo! Though honestly, I don't think I'm ready for my first matured rooster so take all the time you need, Filburt!
View attachment 3574186

I thought perhaps Tirdy would still take a few weeks before laying, but only 5 days later on the 14th she laid her first egg! So young?! I mean, I don't know her exact hatch date but she couldn't be any older than 16wks.

Tirdy's First 2 Eggs!
View attachment 3574187

Her starting so young has really thrown a wrench in my plans. Whatever plans those are... I don't think I have plans anymore. I'm just rolling with the punches and doing what I can when I can. But basically, I don't have anywhere else they can lay besides the outdoor nesting boxes. Again, there's 3 of them and the EEs all share 1. Yet they don't want to let anyone else in there to lay. Tirdy did manage to sneak in once and drop an egg, but the EEs defend that coop and don't like to let the other girls in.

Moose over here telling Tilly to hurry up and leave the nest.
View attachment 3574194

So for a bit, if I wasn't around and Tirdy couldn't find a way into the house:
She would lay in an old empty flower pot on the porch.
View attachment 3574199

(Please excuse the mess, we're redoing the back porch... and the chickens actually aren't allowed up here...)
View attachment 3574198

But if I see Tirdy doing her egg-laying-panic dance out in the yard, I go ahead and bring her inside to lay in comfort.
View attachment 3574188

Now, I did mention Egg Layers, so you guessed it! Tirdy isn't the only one who started to lay! Pretty exciting, but I've got a very similar situation going on...

Marcy laid her first egg on June 24th! I was pretty surprised at how pink-ish they are. A little less saturated than Kiki's pink eggs, but they quickly darkened up. Of course, Marcy's laying age is definitely normal, 19 going on 20wks. I'm so happy! It feels like it was only yesterday when I was battling sour crop with her and so afraid I'd lose her. But here she is! A mature pullet laying eggs nearly daily!

Marcy's first egg!
View attachment 3574201

Marcy definitely got a bit weirded out about her first few eggs. She would peck at them a bit as if trying to figure out what kind of weird poop it was and then bury them. Finally she started to leave them be, haha!
View attachment 3574204

It didn't take long before she got spoiled. If she's out in the yard and needs to lay, I'll find her hanging out on the porch staring at the door. Sometimes she even gets up on the banister and peers through the window. I bring her in and she's such a peaceful bird as she lays.

Unlike a certain someone...

Leslie! Another quick to mature chicken, I honestly didn't think any Crevecoeur would be laying until 6months+. But Leslie surprised me by laying the very next day after Marcy's first egg! Same age as Marcy, so 20wks/4mo.

So tiny! And off-white too.
View attachment 3574208

She denied it, but it's hers.
View attachment 3574206

Now Leslie is a little different from Tirdy and Marcy. Where Marcy peacefully seeks to come inside and Tirdy zooms about looking for where to nest... Leslie screams. She screams so loud. If she needs to lay, everyone knows. She screams in the morning the minute she sees me, demanding to go outside. After a panic run around the yard, whilst screaming, she never finds anywhere suitable to lay. Thus I must rush out there and bring her back inside. But that's not good enough. She screams in here too. Finally she started laying where she sees Marcy lay.

Size & Color Comparison:
View attachment 3576136

And so now, I escort the three ladies inside when eggs are needing to be laid. They all want to lay in the same cage, usually wherever Marcy laid hers at since she is usually first.

I can't wait until they move out into their own home! :old
Of course, this is my fault. We're just two people and have taken on a LOT at once. I know once everything is setup, I can handle the workload but right now I feel like I'm raising over a dozen children!

Future Hatching Plans?
In the spirit of taking on too much at once, I bought a baby Crevecoeur rooster and was able to pick him up June 16th! Sadly I still don't have a name for the little guy yet! Been very indecisive.

View attachment 3576166

Don't worry, I'm going to wait until I'm done getting all the coop/runs/etc. in order and make sure everything is running smoothly before I start considering hatching my own chicks. I may sell fertilized eggs though, but that's all for later. For now, I have a lot of work! And contending still with illnesses and such...

Coccidiosis Outbreak
The weather had been uncharacteristically cool up until June. We've had a ton of rain and storms which lasted even into the big heat up. On June 12th, I offered some sand from outside for the babies to play in. The very next morning I woke up to a bloody mess:

View attachment 3576175

After making sure no pecking happened, I split the Speckles from the Polish. I suspected the Speckles got sick and quickly confirmed that was true - Truffles was pooping blood.

I had an unopened bag of powdered Corid on hand, but it had expired by about 6 months. I gave them some immediately. By the next morning Truffles became very lethargic and I got nervous. The other Speckled also began having bloody poops. I tried to find a place selling Corid but most places were sold out.

I got really lucky when checking back later in the afternoon and spent the extra money to have same day delivery from TSC. Got liquid this time too for a longer expiry date.

By the 15th, Truffles bounced back and the bloody poops cleared up after a total of 3-5 days.

As you can imagine, I wasn't very happy bringing home my Crevecoeur rooster during the outbreak in the brooder. I took a risk and added him to the group so he went right onto the medicine and kept with it for as long as everyone else. Everything turned out fine in the end, so I'm thankful!

Other Pet Health Problems
Now, I do want to share that while all of this had been going on, I had a really bad blockage scare with one of my ferrets. I have four in total (from oldest to youngest): Grim, Gumby, Dib, & Koko. Koko is my only girl.

Top to bottom: Koko, Gumby, Dib
View attachment 3576226

Top to bottom: Grim, Gumby
View attachment 3576225

Gumby in his Halloween outfit!
View attachment 3576224

Well, Gumby has always had a slight urge to chew more than the others so I buy chew treats for him. They're not very good, but they're for ferrets and he's a very picky eater so getting him on bones has been near impossible.

I had to buy some more and noticed N-bone had a newer recipe available. They looked healthier so I opted to buy them than purchase the old recipe. That turned out to be a mistake...

See, Grim and Dib always want one too even though they only stash them away. So some days Gumby might end up eating 2 or 3 of these things if he finds their stashes. Turns out he can't digest the new ones as well I guess? He got blocked on them. Every few minutes he tried to poo and couldn't. They're potty trained but he'd just stop anywhere in an effort to try to potty. His poor little butt prolapsed as well and sometimes he'd cry out when trying to go. Broke my heart. Ferrets aren't very vocal and my four are pretty much silent.

I spent over a week giving him massages multiple times a day, holding a heat pack on him, and practically force-feeding him raw egg (it is a part of their diet but he wouldn't eat). For those that don't know, raw egg is really good at helping with blockages although most folks use canned pumpkin, I prefer not to if I can help it since they're obligate carnivores and shouldn't be eating squash.

View attachment 3576257

When I didn't feed him raw egg, I was feeding him something called Carnivore Care. This stuff is amazing for all carnivores from ferrets to hawks to snakes. It is complete nutrition for them and had saved Grim's life before.

I'm happy to say Gumby recovered! We were on the verge of taking him to his vet but he started to poop little bits here and there so we just kept up the work. He did lose a LOT of weight. Normally Gumby is a pudgy little boy, but he got so thin I could feel his vertebrae. It's terrifying how fast creatures like ferrets and chickens can lose weight when ill. He's already putting weight back and I can't feel his bones as prominently anymore.

Burnout
The exhaustion of the past several months has really caught up with me. Many sleepless nights, worries, nursing animals back to health, and more. I have to say, in the end it's still worth it. When I see all my chickens, ferrets, and dogs living their happy lives... it puts such a smile on my face. I do feel that I shouldn't have taken on so much without adequate preparation but at least I can sit back and bit by bit get all the puzzle pieces in place. One promise I've made myself: no more critters!

Ramona (top) Fiasco (bottom)
View attachment 3576276

Gumby checking the mail for me
View attachment 3576277

Truffles judging my smartphone usage
View attachment 3576298

Pooka with her Angry Moth Brows!
View attachment 3576299
Wonderful update, :love thanks for sharing!

July 2023 - Summer Time Relaxing
Things finally calmed down for the beginning of the month (though it definitely had to go out with a huge scare). I finally got time to take care of myself. Got into a good rhythm of caring for my critters and taking time to do things I enjoy finally. Caught up on my sleep. Started up Animal Crossing again - after 1 year 6 months! Wrote about 5 chapters of a book I abandoned years ago. Started work on a video game I've been making bit by bit over the years.

Good times!
:caf

July 5th Baby Photos ♥
So I've been taking beauty shots of my five chicks every so often! I wish I did this more with my earlier birds when they were younger.

Truffles - approx. 6wk
IMG_20230705_143202302_HDR.jpg
Truffles is really big! And her comb+wattles started showing already. I think she'll be an early layer. And she's so pretty! I love the speckled feathers!
IMG_20230705_143212768_HDR.jpg

Hazel - approx. 6wk
IMG_20230705_144233302_HDR.jpg
She's a lot smaller than Truffles and seems to be a bit slower at feathering out. She's really sweet! She's got less white on her than Truffles, but that may just be the lack of big bird feathers.

Peaches - 4wk
IMG_20230705_143635297_HDR.jpg
Peaches is such a cute little girl! She's kinda skittish but she's very sweet. It's amazing how she towers over my White Crested Black Polish of the same age. I guess that's pretty normal!

Pooka - 4wk
IMG_20230705_143858787_HDR.jpg
Pooka is just so tiny! Only just now do I feel comfortable handling her. It was really scary doing pasty butt cleanup on her during that first week or so. I don't think I mentioned that last month (too much madness to keep track of).

Roo (still needs a name!) - approx. 3 wk
IMG_20230705_144038465_HDR.jpg
He's too adorable! I really have fallen in love with Crevecoeurs. I look forward to breeding them in the future.
IMG_20230705_144050174_HDR.jpg

July 10th featuring Pooka's "Angry Moth Brows"!
I know White Crested Black Polish typically have some black crest feathers at the front. But I couldn't quit laughing when Pooka went through this phase:
IMG_20230710_133503455.jpg

Moose - Broody or Moody?
Moose has been going through these phases where she'll sit on the nest for hours and not lay an egg. If I disturb her, all her feathers stand on end and she opens her mouth in either a silent scream or a gurgly growl.

IMG_20230715_135940327_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230715_135945636.jpg

However, she does eventually leave. No feather plucking. However, late July she has stopped laying almost entirely. I did "test her patience" one day by sticking my hand under her and stealing all the eggs in the nest. She let me take all 4 and after maybe 10 minutes she just left. Definitely seems broody-ish but I'm inexperienced. I'm a bit concerned about the lack of eggs, but she did get sick with coccidia. More on that later...

July 16th - More fabulous baby photos! ♥
Mid month I took more nice photos of my babies. Even after raising 15 others, I can't get over how fast they grow up!

Truffles 7-8wk
IMG_20230716_160721169_HDR.jpg
Yes, she's just as bossy as she looks! She picks on Peaches and Hazel but leaves Pooka and Roo alone. Definitely wants to be top hen! I hope she melds well with the rest of my flock if she continues like this, haha.
IMG_20230716_160756988_HDR.jpg

Hazel 7-8wk
IMG_20230716_161452058_HDR.jpg
Hazel is pretty mellow in comparison. She does have to deal with Truffles picking on her, and Peaches. Yep, sweet Peaches gives Hazel trouble too. Transference, much? Anyway, happy to see her feathers finally coming in more!
IMG_20230716_161513122_HDR.jpg

Peaches 5-6wk
IMG_20230716_160049062.jpg
I had a very hard time getting her in a position where I could take a good photo. I just don't get why she's so dirty! I never had this problem with my White Leghorns. Anyway, that crest is getting wild! And from the front... she looks so cranky!
IMG_20230716_160052001.jpg

Pooka 5-6wk
IMG_20230716_161308087_HDR.jpg
The moth brows began transforming into something more like a giant unibrow. I wish she posed for more pictures, but I was lucky to even get this. She's such a quiet bird and is starting to remind me a lot like Ella already, in temperament. RIP my dear Ella.

Roo 4-5wk
IMG_20230716_161005919_HDR.jpg
His crest feathers are finally showing! He looks like a rocker, haha. I love how bright and alert his eyes are. He's a really peaceful bird too, but very observant.

Filburt/Gretchen - Gender Reveal!
This whole story is pretty exciting for me! I've been suspicious since pretty early on that Filburt/Gretchen was a cockerel. However, this month they started to squat for me! Even Tirdy doesn't squat for me and only half the Easter Eggers bother squatting. But Filburt/Gretchen started doing it every single time I approached.

This confused me because, well, I thought they were a cockerel. The pointy hackle feathers seemed to support my idea, considering not a single one of my other pullets have pointy feathers.

IMG_20230715_142013772_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230715_142005634_HDR.jpg

Well, July 17th they laid an egg! I'm so excited I was wrong and that she's a she! So officially her name is Gretchen. Having a hard time switching back to her original name but she doesn't seem particularly confused. Probably because I'm used it periodically along with Filburt.

IMG_20230717_124936146.jpg

My First Fairy Egg on July 22nd
It seems bringing the chickens in for the evening & night has been a huge help. I haven't had issues with calcium for the most part. Tilly did have a day where it seemed like it finally caught up to her but a calcium tablet helped her a ton.

Well, I'm not sure if it was her or Cleo but one of them laid this tiny egg on the 22nd.
IMG_20230722_173539669.jpg
I don't think anyone even laid this tiny when they just started! i have yet to crack it open, but it really is odd. These hens are about 1 year 2 months now. Though I know they're not all going to be perfect all the time. She went back to laying normal eggs afterward, so all is good there!
IMG_20230722_173530139.jpg

Coccidia Outbreak
Speaking of older hens, my Easter Eggers ended up coming down with coccidiosis. I didn't expect this at all, but I should've known they were at risk for an overload. It's been in the mid 90s Fahrenheit with a humidity 80%+. It'll be like this for a few days, with the humidity getting worse until it suffocates you. Then we get a big storm that cools things down 15 degrees in less than a half hour. Everything is constantly damp and I haven't been keeping up with emptying standing water in various places as well as I should be. They keep finding places I didn't notice before and drinking out of them despite the 4-6 dishes of cool clean water I have scattered about.

Anyway, it all started July 23rd. I let the girls out in the morning as per my routine. I went to let the dogs out for their potty break and as I walked about setting out food & water, I noticed one of the chickens had diarrhea. Not just watery stool like from drinking a lot with little feed intake. I discovered it was Moose, but I wasn't sure what was up so I kept an eye on her.
Later on I found Zelda not feeling well so I brought her in to tend to her. She ended up pooping blood:
IMG_20230723_161225558.jpg

I'm actually thankful for it, because I know bloody stool isn't always the case with coccidia. In fact, Zelda was the only one who did poop blood. I put all 15 chickens on Corid immediately. I've been extra diligent in dumping out dirty water.

I got pretty worried about Zelda. It took her almost a week to fully recover. Moose took a few days before her diarrhea cleared up. Then one day, probably about the 27th or so, Marcy suddenly went pale-combed while walking around outside. I ended up finding her laying by the back porch stairs, crammed up in a safe but tight space. I brought her in to cool off. Thankfully she bounced back the very next day. I think the coccidia got her down. A day or two later, Tilly took a bit of a hit from it too.

I'm happy to say everyone has been fine for the past few days so I'm glad that's cleared up. I kept them on the outbreak dosage of Corid for 7 days and just yesterday (the 30th) switched them to the preventative dose, which they'll have for another 7 days. I feel a bit weird about eating the eggs or feeding them to my ferrets & dogs (despite reading they're safe) so I've been cooking them up and feeding them back to the chickens.

I'm starting to wonder if I should always offer Corid in a preventative dose during this type of weather. I don't like treating them for something that's not ailing them, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to keep this from happening again. It's been a tough summer for them as it is.

July 31st - Missing Chicken Scare
Today has been a bit of a nightmare, but I'll start by saying that all's well that ends well.

This morning, I let my 15 girls outside at the same time I always do: 10:30am. I know that's a bit late but my sleeping schedule has been wrecked over the past few months.

Anyway, I hung out in the living room resting up and playing with my babies. I was so excited because Roo crowed for the first time this morning! Well, if you call the sound of a squeaky hoarse cat screeching, a crow. But that was really cool to see and hear!

Now, I keep a camera on the back yard. My other two need fixing so I'm limited and the big oak towering over is starting to get in the way (I hit my head on those branches daily, they need trimming but I like the safety cover they give the girls). The camera gets a bit glitch-y sometimes and will just go off every couple minutes. Sadly, this gets the point where I ignore it for the most part - definitely not what camera notifications should be for.

I go out around noon to check on everyone. I like to do an hourly or so head count and top-off the water/feed as needed while also just saying hello and interacting.

I start counting and three Crevecoeurs are not present. Pretty typical. I check the nesting boxes. There's Leslie laying an egg. That leaves two.

I go to check around the side of our little house and I hear an alerted bawk-bawk-bawk-bawk. I look around and I don't see anyone. Took a minute before I looked up.

Helga.
photo_2023-07-31_14-50-10.jpg

How in the world did she get up in the tree. And WHY?

I remember Zelda used to explore. She'd fly from the back porch, get up in our short tree, and one time got up on the fence. Even Gretchen got on the fence once and scared the heck out of me. I laugh and get some pictures.

Helga is not amused.
photo_2023-07-31_22-58-31.jpg

I get her down. That leaves one more girl. I look around the house. She's not there. I start getting worried. The Crevecoeurs tend to stick in groups for the most part. I rarely see anyone much farther than the others. I start searching everywhere. I searched both yards they have access too. I look in trees, under stairs, benches, porches... weird places like buckets, under the kiddie pool, the tarps... She's nowhere. I start calling for her but I hear nothing.

Then I check my camera events. About 10 minutes after I put everyone outside, my neighbor across the street had start mowing the front lawn. This is reflected in the events. The Easter Eggers, one by one, filed into our house backyard.

If it helps, our property is split into four squares all joined together. The front isn't fenced but the back is. I like to think of it as front yard quadrant, front yard home quadrant, back yard quadrant, and back yard home quadrant. Basically the left half is grassy and the right half has all the buildings.

Anyway, I leave the gates open so the chickens can go between both back yards. They typically stay in the house backyard but there's no grass here other than fake turf, so they like to go graze in the other. When the neighbor mows, the chickens don't like the mower so they come back to the house.

Well, a few minutes after the Easter Eggers came to the house, there's another cam event. Marcy is panicking, screaming an alarm, and running in weird broken figure eights. I've seen this in videos before - it was like something was after her. My heart sank. I feared the worst - Gaz must've been taken by something.

However, the next camera event from a couple minutes later showed calm. I could see about 5 or 6 Crevecoeurs by the feed dish. Probably just 5. It's hard to see past the oak branches. I'm going to trim them for sure.

I spent 2 hours searching for Gaz. I still couldn't believe she was gone. I looked for any signs or clue. No feathers, no blood. That was all that gave me hope. I tracked down the neighbor and asked him. He heard the noise but hadn't seen anything.

I came inside finally and started crying. It was no use. The neighbor claimed there's foxes living up the street under an empty home. I don't really believe him. He thought maybe a fox got her. But there's no way through our fence, only over. My mother was suspicious someone tried to steal her. See, Marcy panicking was on the opposite side of the yard from where I found Helga up the tree. And in the video I heard Fiasco barking and I thought a voice. Might've been the neighbors talking though.

Anyway, I went back outside one last time and started walking the perimeter again checking the fence. No feathers. No blood. A fox or cat would have to drag her over. The prior owners had put the fence upside down, so there's actually poking edges all along the fence line. There's no way it wouldn't have snagged or that she wouldn't have at least started to fight by that point if alive.

I walked the whole grassy side of the backyard. Peered into neighbors yards. Nothing. I called for her the whole time. No noises.

I made my way back into the house backyard. Started walking the perimeter, past the Gardenia bush they love so much. And then I saw it. A black shape. Gaz! I couldn't tell if she was alive. I ran down the fence and stopped to peer through. I saw her head move. I booked into the house and went out front, crashed through the bramble along the side of our property and made my way into the back. She was sitting there in a mess of thorny vines. I got her out and carried her back inside.

I'm so glad she's alive. :hit
I was so worried.

She seems to be in shock, though. I haven't found any wounds. She has eaten and drank a little, but she's a bit unsteady on her left leg. She walks fine, however, but doesn't want to roost tonight. And she's chattering to me when I check on her. I think she'll pull through. She was alone over there for 3 1/2 hours with no food and water, scared of who knows what... so she's resting and I keep picking her up to hold her and tell her how sorry I am I didn't find her sooner.

Lessons for the Month
I'm going to see what I can do to get more camera footage of the yard. I'm also going to start letting the dogs out a bit more. It's just been too hot for the Shelties this month so they're inside a lot more. I think with the proper preparations, I should be able to let them out more. I'm also going to expand my one run for them into a larger one so I can lock them up out there when I can't keep a closer eye out. I don't know what spooked them, hopefully just the mower or a cat, but whatever it was I'd rather it not happen again if it could be helped. All the Crevecoeurs are really on edge now and Gaz, though eating and drinking fine, refuses to roost so I think she's still weak.

WOW, Cinnaminute - what an update! All the drama, crisis and chaos (and so many chickens in the house... )!!! So glad you had no casualties by illness or predator, but so many scary close calls. And all this in Georgia's relentless steambath summer heat, too. (I remember coming to Atlanta for a visit after years of living in an equally hot but dry climate - stepping off the plane, I hit that wall of heavy humid air and it took my breath away!)

BTW, you know your chickens are spoiled rotten, right?😉

@RedwoodCoastChick Oh, how I wish we had dry heat here! Though I'm sure it comes with it's own list of problems. I'm definitely more accustomed to less humidity, grew up in southern Ohio and lived in northern Tennessee for a time. I don't think I'll ever get used to how smothering it can be.

They are definitely spoiled rotten! I'm probably driving my family crazy. My Easter Eggers are already angry they don't get to come inside the house anymore. Zelda has been pecking me every time she gets a chance ever since I kicked them out for good last month, haha.

August 2023 - Getting Work Done 🔨
Here I am finally posting about August at the end of September. August was definitely a busy month, but busy in a good way. Whereas September was busy in more of a "pullet-is-sick-for-3-weeks" and "my-ferret-nearly-suffocated-himself" kind of way. But I'll get to September later. (spoiler alert: both are now healthy and fine!) So what made August busy?

Run Upgrade
The heat definitely kept me on my toes again but I got a good routine going at least.

The scare with Gaz lit a fire under my butt. A lot of setbacks caused me to still not have a proper run & coop setup for everyone. At this point I was finally ready, but I'm a wimp. I can't take the heat. So the chickens and I spent a lot of time inside watching cartoons waiting for things to cool down. But after what happened with Gaz, I decided I needed a full-sized run that I could put all of the chickens in during their time outside when I'm too busy to let them free-range. It's just too hot to have my Shelties out there running around. And it makes it easier on me to make sure everyone is staying as cool as possible.

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with the result.

This quarter of the yard is cursed with sandy soil as well as leaves falling from the oak trees year round for some reason (worse in autumn, though). I have a lot of plans for chicken-safe plants next year and got my eyes on a leaf vacuum, too. And looking foward to October so I can burn a lot of stuff down.

This year I've been cutting grass with my weed eater rather than hire someone to mow the lawn, so I haven't been able to keep the leaves in check and I think that's what killed off what little grass we did have. I'd like to see this area semi-green again. But back to the run, I was initially planning on splitting it up so the Easter Eggers would have one side and the 6 Crevecoeurs, 1 RIR, and 2 Leghorns would share the other.
IMG_20230803_172229166_HDR.jpg

Before the change, this little kennel was just so I could introduce the young pullets to my Easter Eggers & Ella (RIP❤️).

Before
IMG_20230519_161201725_HDR.jpg

But now it's expanded into an area thats 20x10. A nice 200 square feet of space! And it's 6ft tall. So plenty of head room!

In Progress
IMG_20230803_172044297_HDR.jpg

After a few days of a break, it was time to move the old coop. I originally lined the floor with hardware cloth and chicken wire last October, paranoid because I didn't quite know how predators would be around here. Suffice to say, I did too good of a job. I had a horrid time dislodging it. Between all that wire and the deep chicken poop+straw compost that layered the area, I spent so much time to just free the darn thing. Then of course, I had to move it. I don't really have anyone to help (my mom has disc problems in her neck so I prefer not to call her over for help with heavy jobs) so dragging this thing over to the run was quite the job. I think its over 150lbs if memory serves. I hope I never have to move it again.
IMG_20230819_164848829_HDR.jpg

When all was said and done, it was definitely a worthwhile effort! Now, this time I'll be putting the coop on a wood floor and get it up on some blocks. This way I know its secure, away from the floodzone (more on that later...), and it'll be easier to move in the future (if the need ever arises (please no)).

Also note that flat light colored spot in the far back left corner. That is the making of another "coop". We bought a cute little shed. I'm still not sure who will sleep where and all the whats and hows of things but... that means my 9 girls will be able to move out into their own home soon! P.S. That dish is quite an eyesore, isn't it? It's not in use and I wonder how easy it is to remove...
IMG_20230819_181914604.jpg

Chicken approved!
IMG_20230819_182214307_HDR.jpg

I'm so psyched about this setup! They have a tree in the center... plus we already had some spotlights in the tree so it lights up the area at night. I added another on the outside of the run and I got a little flagpole thingy setup. I'm going to be making a chicken flag soon to fly from it!
:celebrate
IMG_20230819_182019523_HDR.jpg

Now, onto the most notable problem currently: flooding. From my experiences back in June, I learned that the area by the HVAC floods really bad. We've got a slight hill and with the lack of grass, the runoff and flooding has been the worst yet. I learned the hard way that this setup will not work during the rainy season. The tarps have pinholes so they leak. The coop leaks a bit anyway, but it's worse now that it's more exposed here than the previous location. The Easter Eggers run into the coop but they don't want to go into the nesting box area, so they just stand there in 2 inch deep water. And I've gotten soaked every time going out there to bring them into a warm and dry place.
IMG_20230914_140116104.jpg

Obviously a lot of work still needs to be done but this is still so much better. Also, I tested the waters and all 15 girls are fine sharing the space!?! Tilly did start some problems early on, because of course she did. She's Tilly, a pudgy and a bit food aggressive hen. But after a month she seems to have given up her vendetta against the 9 intruders and will happily eat alongside them.
IMG_20230825_124103251.jpg

A little flashback to October 2022 when I first got the coop:
(Featuring Fiasco as a puppy and my dear Ella trying out the coop first)
IMG_20221001_152943439.jpg

I hope October this year will see my coop & run finally finished!

Unexpected Rooster
Well, well... one of my new chicks turned out to be a cockerel. Around August 13th I caught him crowing. At first I thought it was my little Crevecoeur cockerel but the crow sounded a little different. My Crevecoeur pullet Leslie does crow after laying an egg, but again this wasn't like hers. So I set my phone up and caught him in the act:

Yeah, I'm a little sad about it. Truffles is a boy. I've been debating about keeping him. I'd hate to let him go, but he did start to get really rambunctious. I had to separate him and Hazel to another cage because he would just randomly charge one of his flockmates down and give them a slight peck. But then he focused on doing this to Hazel all the time so I finally just separated him to his own cage right next to theirs.

I'm a baaaad boy :oops:
IMG_20230825_161554466.jpg

It doesn't seem like the worst behavior, so we'll see. They get to enjoy the run while my other girls are out free-ranging. Poor Fiasco. He's so hot. He got lots of ice and got to come in periodically to cool down.
IMG_20230810_164501223_HDR.jpg

Introducing Marceline to them for a few minutes:
IMG_20230810_164948635.jpg

Happy Birthday Grim!
August 16th I celebrated my ferret, Grim's, birthday! Sadly this years' gifts + parties were a little more downsized but there were plenty of treats and fun things to do! Grim is now 3 years old.
IMG_20230815_005016313.jpg

When it's one ferret's birthday, it's everyone's birthday!
bday.PNG

We first got him October 28th, 2020. So it's getting close to our 3 year anniversary together as well!

October 28, 2020 - He was so hungry when we got him home.
IMG_20201028_150443404.jpg

Such a cute baby! I miss his darker colors.
IMG_20201201_232857598.jpg

Baby Photos!
And now for my end-of-the-month chick photos! But for some reason I forgot to get some pictures of Peaches, Pooka, and Hazel.

But I have a cute screenshot from my Coop Cam of Pooka (left) and Peaches (right).
They weren't fighting. Pooka just turned around and kinda stood tall to look around.
pooka peach.PNG

Truffles being a handsome boy:
IMG_20230828_153445454.jpg
IMG_20230828_153531533.jpg

Working on flock introductions, but the Crevecoeurs do not like him, haha
IMG_20230828_153858134.jpg

Crevecoeur Cockerel (By the way, we finally named him: Hansel!)
IMG_20230828_162029526.jpg

Hansel is very curious about his fellow Crevecoeurs, but they don't care much about him.
IMG_20230828_162112278_HDR.jpg

Summary
All in all, a good month. I worked hard, but rested hard too. Which I needed for September's shenanigans...

Back
Top Bottom