Chicken thigh tumor (Graphic Photo)

mommamillie

In the Brooder
May 8, 2024
Hello, I've had a small flock of six chickens for just over a year now. Unfortunately, I had to terminate one this morning after coming to the realization that a hen was not well.

At first, I thought she was egg bound because I felt a hard lump underneath her. That was last night. I brought her inside and soaked her two separate times in a Epsom salt bath. Then crated her through the night hoping she would expel the supposed egg.

After she hadn't progressed and things still felt the same, I decided to end her suffering. I noticed days before that she had been limping, panting, breathing with a noise which sounded like a moan, and staying away from her flock family.

As horrid as this might sound to some, I intended to have a meal of her since I thought she was incurably egg bound, yet otherwise healthy. However, it wasn't long into the process that I discovered a massive tumor in her thigh. She was emaciated in the other leg and breasts. She had been suffering long enough to nearly waste away.

I am attaching a graphic picture of her body. Please, if anyone could tell if they have seen this before and if anyone can tell me what it is. Also, should my other chickens be okay?

Attachments

• IMG_20240508_065551885.jpg
    IMG_20240508_065551885.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Good morning, and welcome to BYC. I doubt that the tumor was caused by an infectious entity. Your flock should be okay.

Howdy, :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!
Sorry to hear about your bird. :hugs

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate
Glad to be part of this community. I look forward to receiving help and one day helping others.

Back
Top Bottom