Chicken throwing up???

Spring

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 10, 2007
I'm outside just petting the chickens (my two silkies). Just got them. Looked like the hen "threw up" . I saw stuff come out her beak. Didn't seem like it hurt her or anything... just looked like water that came up.... but is this normal?? I hope I didn't get sick birds. They look healthy!

Thanks

I had a bird that did this two or three times when she was younger. As far as I can tell, she drank too much water and because chickens don't have a real restrictor muscle in their throats (they don't really swallow so much as gulp), when she leaned over after drinking a lot of water, it came back out.

Clearly, if your hen does this a lot or has another sign of illness, you should look into it more. But I know that mine just "spit up" water a couple of times and then never did it again.

-MTchick

She did lean way over (forward) and yeah... it seemed like it just came out....
Thanks!

Keep an eye on her even though it's more than likely what MTchick said. Birds are very good at hiding illnesses until it's too late. Make sure she's eating, drinking and pooping normally and that she still has her same energy level, comb color, and bright eyes. Also, do a quick check for mites or lice and make sure you keep your worming up to date.

Back
Top Bottom