Chicken Tractor floor-mesh

frostychicken

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 5, 2007
I am interested to know if it is wise to add woven wire to create a 'floor' for my planned chicken tractor. My thinking is that it will deter critters from getting in as well as keeping the chickens in (if it is set on uneven ground).

Any drawbacks to this?

Isn't the point of a tractor to let the chickens graze on the ground? I was thinking of putting a wire skirt around mine, but a floor would defeat the purpose...

My concern is that I live in a semi-rural area with many predators. My thought was that I would install woven wire that was large enough for them to forage, but small enough to keep another animals out.

If nobody has had any bad experiences with traditionally designed tractors, I won't worry...

You can attach welded wire aprons around the bottom of the coop on the outside in an "L" shape, then stake them down good. It prevents predators from digging under and adds a little more stability to the tractor. Some predators may not bother with digging under, but will just knock the coop over to get in.

These are on a metal coop and fold up for moving. You can do the same with a wooden coop.
Wings.jpg

Back
Top Bottom