Chicken wire help

Inell

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2024
I built my coop and I’m starting my run along my planters but the wire looks like garbage. I’m also worried it’s not secure enough and predators can go under. Any suggestions???
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3781.jpeg
    IMG_3781.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3782.jpeg
    IMG_3782.jpeg
    697.2 KB · Views: 19
Predators could go under, or right through it. Chicken wire is not predator secure at all.

Is that your coop or brooder? The design is problematic - the nests should be lower than the roost, and the roost looks very thin. I also don't see any ventilation or natural light.

Predators could go under, or right through it. Chicken wire is not predator secure at all.

Is that your coop or brooder? The design is problematic - the nests should be lower than the roost, and the roost looks very thin. I also don't see any ventilation or natural light.
Its currently a brooder and I will update when they are ready! Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on adding a window when they are fully feathered. Should I move the nesting boxes down?

Use HARDWARE CLOTH! Chicken wire gets rusted super easy and predators can easily rip right through it and kill all your chickens. We built our chicken coop with chicken wire and about less than a year later, (When the wire was rusted) a ground predator got in, killed our favorite rooster, and too three beautiful teenage bantam chickens... Save yourself lots of pain and use stronger wire!
Good luck!

Its currently a brooder and I will update when they are ready! Thanks for the suggestions. I plan on adding a window when they are fully feathered. Should I move the nesting boxes down?
Yes, nests should sit lower than roosts because most chickens instinctively want to sit up higher, and you don't want them spending nights in the nest instead of on the roost.

Ventilation should sit up high to allow ammonia and moisture to escape. In a moderate climate you want around 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird that's open 24/7.

you don't want them spending nights in the nest instead of on the roost.
Rosemary is absolutely right! You don't want chickens sleeping in the nests because they poop at night. And honestly, they don't just poop, they POOOP! And if they poop in the nests you will have to wash your eggs and it won't be fun. :sick

Back
Top Bottom