Chicken with a bent leg I need help and quick

JakeMaz

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2022
We’ve had this chicken for almost a year now and it’s leg or I think it is the knock is bending outward when she puts pressure on it.
87A61632-7B2E-4811-899D-951A768DE40A.jpeg
807C7D56-A8A8-4067-AEBD-9FF82AF44BD4.jpeg
I need to know what this is and how to fix it, please we’re running out of time. We took it to the vet and it has no broken bones. If you need any more information just ask.

Attachments

• BE363F7B-196E-4FCF-95E9-353F46D30026.jpeg
    BE363F7B-196E-4FCF-95E9-353F46D30026.jpeg
    740.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 54CD4C13-2D9F-40C8-B54A-FF4E9AE9B2C3.jpeg
    54CD4C13-2D9F-40C8-B54A-FF4E9AE9B2C3.jpeg
    627.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 62F74622-457D-47B4-B1F0-73AAD5EFABC6.jpeg
    62F74622-457D-47B4-B1F0-73AAD5EFABC6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
We’ve had this chicken for almost a year now and it’s leg or I think it is the knock is bending outward when she puts pressure on it.View attachment 3195547View attachment 3195545I need to know what this is and how to fix it, please we’re running out of time. We took it to the vet and it has no broken bones. If you need any more information just ask.
Is it dislocated? Feel the healthy leg and compare to the bent leg.

Is she able to walk around and get water and food? I would guess that she might have a leg bone deformity in her right leg. Varus or valgus deformities are common in poultry, and can occur in only one leg or both. She looks to have varus deformity. One type (varus) causes the leg to bow out, while the other (valgus) makes the leg appear knock kneed. There is no treatment. If her leg is useless and this suddenly occurred, it could be that her hock tendon has ruptured, which can happen. I would consider her quality of life, but many birds can get along with these problems. If you enlarge the pictures in the following article, it shows varus or valgus dedormities:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Is it dislocated? Feel the healthy leg and compare to the bent leg.
I don’t think it is dislocated. I feel like the vet would have told us or it would have came up on the X-ray but if it is dislocated what would I be looking for, if I could move the leg in a weird way because I can kinda move it but I don’t think it is dislocated. The vet said she may have kidney information be he was just guessing what it was he said. So we gave it some medicine and I didn’t work

Is she able to walk around and get water and food? I would guess that she might have a leg bone deformity in her right leg. Varus or valgus deformities are common in poultry, and can occur in only one leg or both. She looks to have varus deformity. One type (varus) causes the leg to bow out, while the other (valgus) makes the leg appear knock kneed. There is no treatment. If her leg is useless and this suddenly occurred, it could be that her hock tendon has ruptured, which can happen. I would consider her quality of life, but many birds can get along with these problems. If you enlarge the pictures in the following article, it shows varus or valgus dedormities:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens
So if this is what she has we should put here down. Thanks for the advice it helped a lot. she Can still walk but I think it may be getting worse. So should we put her down or keep her and help the best way we can. Also would putting a brace or rubber bands work because that’s what I’ve seen people do

We’ve had this chicken for almost a year now and it’s leg or I think it is the knock is bending outward when she puts pressure on it.View attachment 3195547View attachment 3195545I need to know what this is and how to fix it, please we’re running out of time. We took it to the vet and it has no broken bones. If you need any more information just ask.
What did the vet say was wrong with it?

This. 👆

I don’t think it is dislocated. I feel like the vet would have told us or it would have came up on the X-ray but if it is dislocated what would I be looking for, if I could move the leg in a weird way because I can kinda move it but I don’t think it is dislocated. The vet said she may have kidney information be he was just guessing what it was he said. So we gave it some medicine and I didn’t wor
Is this a sudden occurrence or did she always have this? You had said she wasn't putting weight on it, which made me think it's an acute occurrence. If it was dislocated you'd be able to feel the bone end through the skin, if you feel the healthy side you'll feel the difference.

It’s not dislocated I think it’s the varus bone thing. Would I be able to do anything to make her walk better like a brace or rubber banding the legs or anything to make her able to walk better

Back
Top Bottom