Chicken with bubbles in eyes

Shadow Source

Songster
May 25, 2018
Central Oregon
I have a hen that is 4 years old. I am worried it is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. I am trying to get my NPIP certification, and I have some chickens I want to keep in with her. Pls I need advice. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.JPG
    IMG_1239.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 45
Can you post a clearer picture? Eye bubbles can be a symptom of MG or mycoplasma, but if there is any sign of an injury, that might also be the cause. Look into the eye for any feather or foreign body, or peck wound or other injury.

Unfortunately NPIP certification doesn’t mean that a breeder sells birds who are free of respiratory diseases. It only means that they are free of salmonella diseases. It looks like you can voluntarily get testing for the different types of mycoplasma in some states. I would probably try to get testing to see if the bird has it. The best MG test is the PCR test versus the other testing done in the past.

I would check with your state to see if they are routinely doing MG and MS testing with the basic NPIP.

So the bird acts like it is completely blind. I wave my hand in front of it, and the bird doesn't move at all, and she doesn't blink. I think she has had a good life, I think it is her time. I will watch the other birds, and I will see if I can get them tested. Also her eyes are both swollen, and there is bubbles in both of them. Could this just mean she is going blind? She is very old. I will try to get a better picture

She may not be see because of the swelling and eye bubbles. Can you post pictures of her eyes? Could she have been pecked around the eyes by the others because she was acting sick? At 4 years, was she still laying and getting around normally? Was she eating? Does she have any other symptoms, such as coughing, wheezing, or nasal drainage?

Rest In Peace my sweet Yellow Bag. This morning I went to check on her, this time she had stuff coming out of her nose. With a ton of reluctance, I grabbed our gun, and put her out of her misery. She was my first chicken I ever owned. I will miss her. I have killed chickens before, but she was my pet. :hitI hope I did the right thing.

My Buff Orpington Hen, Yellow Bag R.I.P

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs
It would be a very good idea to refrigerate the body and send it to your state lab for testing/necropsy to find out what you are dealing with.

It's good that you are working toward NPIP but as mentioned, it generally on tests for Pullorum, Salmonella and AI.

Since you are going to be breeding/selling (assume that's why you want NPIP) you really need to know if your flock has a respiratory illness as well so you can determine what steps you need to take.

Back
Top Bottom