Chicken with pale orange comb, but acting normal

Why is My chicken's comb pale and orange?

• Worms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mites

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

juliebugg86

Chirping
Apr 2, 2016
I have a chicken that looks very pale in her comb. I treated her with prescription meds for mites, pig swig, and corrid. Everything looks normal, but her comb is still super pale. How long does it take for the color to come back? Could it be something else? I posted a picture of a strange color. It hasn't always been this color. She finished her treatment for worms two days ago. Of course, I treated the whole flock for everything.

Attachments

• 1 Sick Chicken 8.11.19.jpg
    1 Sick Chicken 8.11.19.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 2 Sick Chicken 8.11.19.jpg
    2 Sick Chicken 8.11.19.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 80
I don't see anything that looks super pale.
Hens don't always have bright red combs.
Since we are after summer solstice, depending on their age, they may be getting ready to molt, in which case most hens will get pale shriveled combs.
A hen that age shouldn't need Corid. I don't know what pig swig is. What is the wormer medication you used? What is your location (state/country)?
Have you found mites? Did you have a fecal sample read to see what kind of worms they had or even if they had any?

Pig swig is for the worms. She is about she has never molted before so that might be it. I took one of my other chicken to the vet and even though we didn't see any mites we treated the who flock anyway. I also fogged and scrubbed the whole barn. I check the fecal matter; everybody is good there. I live in Crescent City, CA. (Nothern) and this summer the temp has been averaging about 70 degrees. It sounds like I have ruled out the most likely culprits. I suppose molting is next best guess. how long should her comb be pale before she starts losing feathers?

Every hen molts in her own way and time. I have a few who you could never tell were molting except for some missing tail feathers, while some lose huge patches of feathers with pale combs.

Can you tell if this hen has been laying or not? Does she have any enlargement of her lower belly, or appear overweight?

Back
Top Bottom