Chicken with tail down, eyes half closed

NightFury06

Songster
Apr 3, 2020
England
Hiya!
I noticed last night that Myrtle’s back half - not crop - seemed a bit swollen almost, but because it was so dark I couldn’t really look.
I’ve just let them out this morning, and her tail is down, her eyes are half-lidded, and her comb is quite purple too. She still seems to have a lot to say, and is eating with the others, but she definitely isn’t RIGHT.
I’m fairly certain she doesn’t lay, because she’s a fair bit older than my other girls, and we have never had 3 brown eggs at a time.
I’d be grateful for any help, thank you very much!
(I’ve attached some photos, if that helps)

Attachments

• IMG_8239.jpeg
    IMG_8239.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8237.jpeg
    IMG_8237.jpeg
    653.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8238.jpeg
    IMG_8238.jpeg
    676.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8242.jpeg
    IMG_8242.jpeg
    960 KB · Views: 3
Older hens can suffer from reproductive disorders—salpingitis, infection, cancer, water belly. Is she losing weight, or is her lower belly under her vent enlarged? It is good that she is still eating and drinking. Does she have any trouble walking around? What are her droppings looking like, and pictures are helpful.

Older hens can suffer from reproductive disorders—salpingitis, infection, cancer, water belly. Is she losing weight, or is her lower belly under her vent enlarged? It is good that she is still eating and drinking. Does she have any trouble walking around? What are her droppings looking like, and pictures are helpful.
She doesn’t seem to have any trouble walking. I haven’t seen her poo, so I don’t have any photos at the moment. I can’t say whether she’s been losing weight, her crop is very empty, although she is interested in pecking at food and things. Her keel does seem to be sticking out a lot compared to my other girls.

I would work on trying to get her eating and drinking. Chicken feed moistened or dry is best for her, but you can offer scrambled egg, tuna or salmon, ground meat, in small amounts occasionally to tempt her to start eating. Hopefully, she doesn’t have something that is causing weight loss. Make sure the others are not keeping her from food. Having multiple feeders and waterers available is always good.

Back
Top Bottom