Chickens afraid of DE

Cato0608

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
South Africa
Hi, so I have been reading on a few ways to prevent mites and decided to get some food grade Diatomaceous earth. I then went on cleaning the coop as usual and scattered the DE around the inner and outer lining of the coop as well as on the ends of the roost bars (the DE was visible, but not heaped, except for the roost bars). This evening when I went to check up on my chickens they refused to go into the coop. I have a mixed flock of Lavender and Buff Orpingtons, as well as 3 Sussex hens. My 3 Sussex girls weren't bothered and already on the roost bars when I went to check on them. However, my Opringtons refused to go in, they will make turns standing in front of the door, stick their heads in and then proceed to make a u-turn. I instantly knew it must be the DE as nothing else changed. I ended up sweeping all visible DE away and they eventually went into the coop. Has anyone else experienced this? I find it strange that my 3 Sussex hens couldn't even be bothered, but the rest blatantly refused. I specifically got the food grade DE due to all the information provided.

Did you change the bedding as well?
I've had the birds freak about about that.

DE will do nothing for bugs, neither preventatively nor an infestation.
Do regular bugs checks and have some Permethrin dust and/or spray on hand to use IF you find any bugs.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

I find that DE is helpful around the outside of the coop to knock down the ants a little until it gets wet and then it's useless. But inside the coop I use Poultry Dust to prevent mites.

Back
Top Bottom