Chickens and Bunnies shared yard?

Kie

Chirping
Mar 5, 2020
The closest thing I could find is this post asking if chickens and bunnies can share the same run.
My question is very similar, but wasn't quite answered in there.

I was wondering if it's safe or a good idea to allow bunnies and chickens to share a fenced yard? They would have separate coops/hutches, be allowed outside during the day, and nestled back in their beds at night. I'm very conscious about space needed, and they'll receive more space than is even required:3 so my question is very behavior-orientated.
In the post linked above, it mentioned that one of the concerns they would have is introducing the chickens and bunnies to each other before allowing them to share a yard. We'll be raising chickens for eggs and meat, so there will be some layers and some feeders. Bunnies, however, are for meat (I'll also have good use of fur, I like to make sure everything is used.) Naturally, we'll have some stick around longer for breeders, but a good number of them are going to be feeders.
I already have plans to keep my bucks and does separate to watch the bunny population, but overall, would it be okay to allow bunnies and chickens in the same fence for their outside time?

If it's helpful information, we're looking at getting orpington buffs, new zealand bucks, and california does.

Edit: Because of some opinion on colony vs cage and the offers to help find resources, I figure this might be helpful! This list doesn't contain all the material because I, unfortunately, didn't save all the material prior to going on the list 😅
Things I have read/watched:
Meat Rabbits: Breeds, Feed, and Housing
Colony Raising Rabbits
Rabbit Cages or Colonies
Meat Rabbits in Colonies
Things to read/watch:
Winterizing Shared Coop

Last edited:
There are a number of YouTube videos are raising chickens and rabbits together. They seem to make it work. Having said that, I always raised my rabbits in wire cages and not on the ground. You might also consider that some rabbits are very territorial and one alpha doe may castrate other does so they don't have litters to compete with her young. So before you plan on raising bunnies in a community pen, you might want to check into that aspect.

Here is someone who raises chickens and rabbits in the same housing; Winterizing Chicken & Rabbits In Greenhouse | Joel Salatin | Polyface Farm

That video was interesting, never seen Salatins layer setup.
He didn't talk much about the rabbits effect on the birds, and visa versa.

Here's a search that might help you find more info @Kie :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/320513/?q=Rabbits+chickens&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1583506756716.png

We've been having discussions about territorial buck/roosters and how to go about that, so it's added a lot of pages to my blueprints binder in the last day 😵 And a few other changes to initial setup ideas... Which has drastically changed my original ideas, but that's just part of planning, and I expect things to continue to change until and even a little after get there as we learn more 😁

I had never thought about territorial does, so thank you for bringing that up! And thank you for the video!

I'm always bringing climate into consideration (it's most definitely a necessity here) and blueprinting in the likely insulation, as well as some extra plans for if we need to bring something into the house for a bit. Heck, my dad brought a newborn calf into his house for two weeks to make sure she lived, so I'm no stranger to the idea 😂 (he slept right in the livingroom with her to watch her; she's a very happy and healthy cow now!)

I'm never really comfortable sharing my location online, so I just skipped that part. Maybe when I have some actual business up and running.

I'm never really comfortable sharing my location online, so I just skipped that part.
We don't need your street address :rolleyes: or even your town,
just your general location in your state is enough...
...if you want advice that is appropriate for your climate.

I appreciate the offer, but the advice I'm looking for right now is if I can safely yard bunnies and chickens during the days in the warm months, and separate at night. If I find myself doubting my coop and hutch blueprints, I'll make a thread for it with the information necessary, but this is not the place, time, or even discussion.

I'm aware you don't need my street, town, nor even county, but I do have ongoing issues with a past abuser stalking me through several sites where too much information was given/was needed. It's exhausting enough dodging them in person.
The less information, the less they can assume. The less they can assume, the less I get harassed. The less I get harassed, the less sites I have to avoid.
The amount people are willing to go through is extraordinary. And that one is willing to do just about anything.

Once a business comes into play, it becomes a bigger problem for them. I waited too long to do anything legal about my problem unless something substantial comes up.

I've read a lot saying that colonizing meat rabbits has reared some of the best, given the general behavior of rabbits, but I am still looking everyday!
That was one of the cons brought up in ground-raising, so it's been listed in the "pros and cons" of my rabbit binder.
We're looking for books on meat rabbits, so if you have any suggestions, they'd be greatly appreciated!

I had never thought about territorial does, so thank you for bringing that up! And thank you for the video!

I know everyone thinks rabbits are so cute and cuddly, but in reality they can be very territorial and look out for only their own. Not only will an alpha doe sterilize other does in her territory, but does are known to castrate a buck if she gets upset with him. Which is why, with caged rabbits, we always brought the doe to the buck's cage and removed her after a successful mating. If you left the doe in too long, she might turn on the buck and bite off his private parts.

I know the video does not directly address your desire to try colony raising of rabbits and chickens together on the ground, but it does show how a commercial farmer makes it work for him with rabbits in cages above the chickens on the ground.

FWIW, I don't there is a problem per se with having rabbits and chickens together on the ground in the same pen. They won't fight with each other as I understand it. But I think you have more concerns about roosters fighting with each other and the territorial rabbits, both bucks and does, harming each other in attempts to control their territory. If I come across some more info on raising colony rabbits, I'll post a link. I think it's a great idea if you could get it to work.

Back
Top Bottom