Chickens and plants...

One of my favorite topics!
This spring, I plan to create a chicken-friendly garden, in and around my coop/run.
I can recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Range-Ch...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328642785&sr=1-1

It has useful lists of plants that are chicken-resistant, and others that can provide chicken foraging, treats, etc.
I can't allow my chickens to free range around my yard full-time, but I'm planting different plants and greens that I can offer them, and also beautifying the coop area and providing shelter with plants.

Another order placed for this book. This site should start to offer it too. : ) Looking forward to the sunshine and warm spring rains. : ) I love to work in the dirt.

I am ordering this book today. I am so looking foward to the warm weather to start this project. As of right now my yard is a HUGE mess from the chickens. I seriuosly think it would've been better this winter(my first with the chickens) if it had been a cold one here in NJ. With the weather being fairly mild, the ground hasn't frozen and the soil is soft and mushy, so needless to say the 5 of them have tilled my yard for me.
hmm.png

Received my book today. You will like it. I haven't had time to read it all, but the photographs are beautifully done. I hope my garden will look as good as the ones in the book one of these years!

A note of caution concerning wisteria. That stuff will take over and destroy a fence in a very short time. It is very strong. I dug out runners more than 20 ft long that grew right underground from one years growth at our old place. It will not be planted here. INVASIVE is not a nice word. Gloria Jean

LOVE LOVE LOVE this subject!! And it is so exciting to know that other people are planning chicken gardens....I also have a swan garden (kale, spinach, kale, kale) sectioned off along with my own garden - that I share with my horses and parrots, of course
clap.gif

I can't wait to order this book! Amazon is going to wonder what the heck caused the spike in sales...and please keep the ideas coming!
woot.gif

I've received my book and already read it. It has a lot of really interesting ideas in there! Definitely worth the read! Did everyone notice that it was just published in 2012? I think that's awesome because you know there isn't any outdated information in it!

One of my favorite topics!
This spring, I plan to create a chicken-friendly garden, in and around my coop/run.
I can recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Free-Range-Ch...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328642785&sr=1-1

It has useful lists of plants that are chicken-resistant, and others that can provide chicken foraging, treats, etc.
I can't allow my chickens to free range around my yard full-time, but I'm planting different plants and greens that I can offer them, and also beautifying the coop area and providing shelter with plants.
I just found this thread since we just finished my new covered run! I bought the book on my Kindle, I can't wait to get started! It's a little late but we have a long growing season here in NC! THANK YOU!

Back
Top Bottom