Chickens are suddenly laying a lot less

queenef

Hatching
May 7, 2024
We have 9 chickens and a rooster, all about a year old. We got them as adults about 6-7 weeks ago. Cinnamon queens. They were laying 4-5 eggs a day, a rare 6 eggs a day. A week and a half a go, they gave us 6 eggs, but since then only 2-3 eggs per day, even none yesterday. We did switch to a different feed a week ago, but they were already laying less when we did that. Both feeds are high protein - 20 percent. They have a coop, their own run, and then about 2 weeks ago we started letting them free range in our whole back yard for most of the day. When egg production decreased, I started keeping them in their own run for the morning, but still very few eggs. I have also looked around the yard and their run for other nesting locations, but not found any. They have water and grit/calcium. We haven't changed anything else, so I'm not sure what's going on. I do send the children out to check for eggs periodically throughout the morning, so I don't think anything else is getting in there and eating them. We live in central Texas - a lot of rain last week, but highs in the upper 70s and low 80s. Today was our first upper 80s day, so I don't think it's too hot yet. This is our first time keeping chickens, so I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

about 2 weeks ago we started letting them free range in our whole back yard for most of the day. When egg production decreased, I started keeping them in their own run for the morning, but still very few eggs.
I would try keeping them in the run all day long for about 2 days, and see if you get more eggs.

If a hen is determined to get to a particular nest, she can delay egg-laying for a few hours. So if they have hidden nests, they might be managing to hold the eggs until you let them out. If you keep them in for 2 days, they won't be able to wait that long, so you should get the eggs where you can find them.

If they are not hiding eggs, I don't know what to suggest.

Likely there's a hidden nest somewhere with all your missing eggs in it, unless the local wild-life finds it first. I had a couple instances when I first started free-ranging of chickens creating secret nests and then going broody over them.

The most extreme example was when my nightly head-count turned up 1 short I found one of my more petite cream legbars near the old coop trying to cover a clutch of 18 eggs.

Another ne I thought for sure had gotten eaten by something because she was my oldest hen (12 years) and she was missing for days. On day 4 while I was doing some yard work she comes around the corner of the house making a jog for the feeders and waterers. After she had a nice meal I followed her at a distance. She paused for a dust bath and then crawled under the front porch to the hidden nest she made under there.

She had accomplices because when I cleared out the nest and put up some wire mesh to keep them from getting under there I had two other hens show up to read me the riot act while I was working.

Central Texas, thanks for that. You are in the northern hemisphere so that eliminates one possibility.

First is the molt. Fall is not the only thing that can cause a molt. Changes and stress can cause a partial or full molt. Are you seeing loose feathers flying around? If you are we can discuss this further.

Hidden nests have been discussed but they can be really sneaky about that. After the molt that is probably the most common cause of them "not laying".

Is something getting the eggs? Most critters that eat eggs leave signs like eggshells or a wet spot. In Texas common critters that don't leave signs are snakes, canines, and humans. A snake usually eats several and then disappears for a few days to digest them before coming back for more. If it is constant it is not likely to be a snake.

A fox or coyote would probably be more interested in your chickens but a dog might eat eggs and not bother the chickens. Does a dog have access?

A human does not necessarily mean a stranger or a thief. Some people actually consider this a fun practical joke.

Changes can cause a reduction in laying without causing a molt. Things like running out of water for a day or two, new housing or nests, adding or removing a flock member (especially a dominant one). Were they getting extra lights? Often this is a security light where the bulb burned out or it got turned off.

Extreme temperature changes can cause a drop in laying. Extreme cold or heat. I know it is still early in the year but you are in Texas. Everything is bigger in Texas, so they say. :oops:

Some diseases will cause a drop in production. As long as they are acting normally it is probably not a disease but have you checked for parasites like mites or lice? Do they need worming? Worms can make them unproductive.

From what you said I can't come up with anything specific. I've tried to cover everything I can think of. You are looking at them so maybe something will strike a chord. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom