Chickens & cats

mcjessen

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Coeur d Alene ID
Since raising my three chickens since they were a day or two old, I've always worried about our cats bothering them. Once the "girls" moved out to the coop/run I worried that if we let them out to roam, the cats would attack them. Both our cats are girls and VERY interested in birds. Imagine my surprise the day I watched one of my BO's chase one cat around the backyard! The other cat will just lay there and lean away if one of the girls gets too close - but she won't run because she knows the chickens will chase her. Yesterday, I had to call off a chicken because she wouldn't leave the cat alone. LOL! Nothing to worry about here.

It's quite entertaining to watch them at it too!

Well I'll add my 2 cents. We have a large public park near our house with an extensive storm sewer system that runs from there and our neighborhood. At the park there are people that feed the cats which has lead to a very large population of strays that travel between the park and my house via the storm sewer system. We were very worried because some of them are very large. Despite a high density of stray cats in over a years time we have had zero cat attacks on our hens. There have been a few loud protests when they come into the yard Bock! Bock! Bock! But, those end with the cat sauntering off after they realize the chickens won't leave them in peace.

Last edited:
My current cat, is scared of my hens.
hmm.png

I had a siamese cat once who killed a four month old pullet
sad.png
and dragged it up a tree and was meowing for me to open the window to let her into the house. (We had a high set home and if the back door was shut she used the tree to alert us of her need to gain entry to us).

So its depends on the cat I suppose.

Good luck.

Quote:
You're right, it does depend on the cat. Our cats are smaller than the chickens so I'm not too worried now that I've seen everyone in action. I'm sorry your cat got the better of your pullet. If your cat pulled a 4 month old pullet up a tree, no offense, but that's one bad a** cat. Our girls are 4 months old and I don't ever see our cats being strong enough to pull them anywhere. They're pretty big girls.

I wouldn't trust my cat an inch when it comes to the chooks. In fact, I was saying to DP the other day I should tie a bunch of grapes to his tail one day so he can find out the hard way that chooks aren't just big feather dusters to play with.

Back
Top Bottom