Chickens fighting over nesting boxes

Nov 6, 2023
I have 12 nesting boxes five of them are on ground level (I wish they weren't as this makes me nervous) and 20 hens. All my hens fight over the four nesting boxes that look different. Some hens even try laying on top of each other. They only started laying two weeks ago, and I'm not sure if they know they can lay in other boxes. How can I fix this.

This is a common issue. Drives keepers nuts! These are the things I have tried that work, kind of, sort of.
  • adding fake eggs to each nest
  • blocking off the nests that they are fighting over, this makes everyone 'discover' the nest right next to the perfect nest.
  • Sometimes changing the bedding in the nest.
If you do nothing, one day, for no known reason, all of a sudden, a new nest will become the favorite, and they will all want to lay there.

Mrs K

I have 12 nesting boxes five of them are on ground level (I wish they weren't as this makes me nervous) and 20 hens. All my hens fight over the four nesting boxes that look different. Some hens even try laying on top of each other. They only started laying two weeks ago, and I'm not sure if they know they can lay in other boxes. How can I fix this.
Yes, photos please.

It is very common for me to find two or three hens laying in the same nest at the same time with all other nests empty. I have seen an older hen grab a pullet and pull her out of the nest, but most of the time they are happy to share. I almost never see any fighting.

As long as no eggs are being broken I don't see anything to fix. They have their own society and hierarchy, you might say their own civilization. They have their own rules and tend to work things out themselves without my interference. If eggs were being broken or chickens injured then I'd act but I don't see that.

I misunderstood what a lip is, and my nesting boxes have a piece on front that serves as one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom