Chickens gurgling when breathing plus sneezing/coughing & making strange head movement

Based on what I have read, it does sound like gapeworm. It might possibly have something to do with the pine shavings too. I never used shavings for my chickens but I have heard others complain about the health problems resulting from using them. You might want to look into it to see if that might be the problem.

I really hope your hens all recover. It is so hard to lose or have to cull birds and I really hope it doesn't come to that :-( Hope your roo gets better too.

I should also mention that we treated for the worms Thursday night before we went out of town. We got home today. When the chickens went to roost tonight I didn't hear any gurgling from any of them. I will know more tomorrow about if the wormer seemed to help with that problem - especially when I can hear my rooster Speckle crow. (thinking it possibly could have been gapeworm after all).

Glad they are better, but be sure to do a follow up fecal.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I've been fighting this issue since March, all summer. Done quartine, treated just sick ones with Tylan 50 and ivermectin. Lost some hens and Roos her and there during quartine. When I think got flock healthy & sick ones removed, no symptoms, and it comes back.
Treated the entire flock with antibiotics and safeguard wormer multiple times. Moved to portable pens and kept moving through the pasture while treated the coop & pen with lime, DE to disinfect the ground for worms. This during one of the worming and antibiotic treatments.
Started with buying 3 roosters from a person, they acted weird shacking their head. But started spreading before I realized it was a real issue.
Bout at wits end just lost a hen tonight, and gurgling is back.
Honestly, once they get it, even with quartine and treatment, the final outcome is always death.
Super frustrated.

Wow - seriously? Cull the entire flock? The 4 new hens brought in were from a state licensed and inspected farm who also practice bio-security. :eek: I was reading up on symptoms and thought it could be gapeworm - especially with the movement some of them make with their necks. I have not noticed any mucus either.
sad.png

I wouldn't treat any poultry that don't have symptoms, and the ones with symptoms should be separated from those who are not sick. they will all be carriers anyway whether they are symptomatic or not. Amoxicillin is not usually put in the water, and I would be a little suspicious of that. It's a good drug for many things, but it needs to be given 2-3 times a day orally to each chicken. Most sources, such as Plumb's veterinary Handbook, say to give birds 100mg 3 times a day, or 250mg twice a day.
Really, though for respiratory diseases such as MG, Tylan 50 injectable is preferable. It can be given 1/4 ml for bantams, 1/2 ml for chickens under 5 lb, and 1 ml for chickens over 5 lb.. Give it once or twice a day for 5 days. If giving it as a shot in the breast instead of orally, give it for 3 days. Oxytetracycline and Gallimycin are 2 other antibiotics that can be given in the water for 7 days, and Tylan Soluble Powder can be given in the water for 5 days. You can contact your state vet to ask questions about getting a chicken tested, or sacrificing one to send to the state vet for a necropsy, which will give you a disease name. Many respiratory viruses and bacterial diseases come in twos. State vet link: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Last edited:
Ok. I think I will look for Tylan 50 and only treat the sick ones or ones showing symptoms. Thanks for your advice. How do I give this oraly as opposed to a shot? Or do you mean "in the water" when you say oraly? I'd rather treat with putting something in the water that is in for all the flock and my 5 mallards so if one if the two antibiotics you mentioned would be ok for that I'll trybo did one of those. Never given a shot to a chicken or anything for that matter but not oppose to trying if that's the best avenue to go right now.

I'm a little bit scared to give injections. Do you think Terra-Vet 10 in water might work and would be a good start and be safe for all the chickens and my ducks?

Have you considered sourcrop as a possibility? I remember I have a girl who was chronic with it- She'd shake her head and gurgle and look so miserable. I had to turn her upsidedown and squeeze her crop, which was softball-sized and felt like a balloon. I watched at least a cup of nasty brown fluid pour out of her mouth and cured it with monistat- It very well could be a respiratory disease, it's just best to rule out all possibilities beforehand.

Last edited:
I did not consider this because they are all eating and drinking fine. I do think it's respiratory or slight chance of gape worms but not a crop issue. Thanks for your input.

Back
Top Bottom