Chickens in Amish Country!

Red Barn Farms

~Friendly Fowl~
7 Years
Apr 12, 2012
Kentucky Heartland
My wife and I needed to pick up some supplies for coop building and also needed more chicken feed so we headed on over to Amish neighbors who own a country hardware store. The family also has a grocery store plus raise and sell chickens. The entire area is actually a Amish settlement and community with furniture makers, builders, bakers, etc. I filmed the chickens on our visit!

Last edited:
You sure did spend a lot of time video taping the Amish homestead in your second video. I thought the Amish didn't like to be photographed.
hmm.png

Love buying the bake goods from the Amish in our area. The one hen in the video looks like she could use a saddle, her back looked like it was well worn...must be the favorite choice of the roo.

As for filming the Amish, the ones I know don't care if you film things, just as long as they themselves are not being filmed.

Love buying the bake goods from the Amish in our area. The one hen in the video looks like she could use a saddle, her back looked like it was well worn...must be the favorite choice of the roo.

As for filming the Amish, the ones I know don't care if you film things, just as long as they themselves are not being filmed.

Maybe they were aware he was filming their home, barn, etc. and decided to stay out of camera range.

I think you are very fortunate to have the Amish as neighbours. I know very little about them but understand that they live very simple lives and hold strong religious views. If one of you who live close to an Amish community would like to tell me more about them I would be delighted to hear from you. It's purely interest on my part, I believe that every group in society has something within them that the rest of us can learn from, be it for good or ill. Obviously if the latter, then I hope that we can learn how not to go down the same path, but in the main I believe that mos things we can learn are positive.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Carole

We do not have the Amish as our neighbors but they are located in the area my in-laws have property, so we see them often when we go out there. You could do a Google search to find info. I know just recently Public Broadcasting aired a segment on the Amish life style....was very interesting.

I think you are very fortunate to have the Amish as neighbours. I know very little about them but understand that they live very simple lives and hold strong religious views. If one of you who live close to an Amish community would like to tell me more about them I would be delighted to hear from you. It's purely interest on my part, I believe that every group in society has something within them that the rest of us can learn from, be it for good or ill. Obviously if the latter, then I hope that we can learn how not to go down the same path, but in the main I believe that mos things we can learn are positive.

Thank you.

Best wishes,
Carole
We have Amish around here all over the place. Did have one working for us also which was more laid back than most Amish men that I've seen.

I did happen to see a show on TV that might interest you that tells more about them. It's called Amish Out of Order and here is the link that has a facts section. It is about Amish trying to convert over to be English (what they call anyone not in their group). http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/amish-out-of-order/

The ones we have don't mind if we take pictures as long as we try to keep them out of it. They can't pose for a picture. The males seem to be top person in the household. I've even seen some women going down the road in their buggies but a 7 year old boy is the one in control of it. They work hard and it seems to put a toll on them when they get older. I did find out that some will use a foam piece to put around the hole in the outhouse to make it more comfortable and less cold in the winter.

The one that worked for us taught at a school during the day last year and I did learn that they have all the grades in one school (they have schools all over for easier walking distance) and on Friday they only go for half a day. That is the day they learn their Pennsylvania-Dutch. They speak that language to each other and use it in their households.

The women usually will either go to a Amish midwife or a clinic around that has a midwife. Usually if it is an Amish midwife it is one of their relatives or their mother or MIL. We've had to do plenty of midwife and mother/MIL runs to pick them up and run them over to the house. They will shop at Walmart and sometimes you will see a family in a Pizza Hut or Burger King. The ones around here go to yard sales and will buy used mattresses and other items.

Back
Top Bottom