Chickens in Permaculture

Here's a good spot that's been chemically sterilized... No structure to the soil, no sign of earthworms... Bindweed and salt grass...bindweed takes hold when the soil is so damaged that nothing can compete with the roots, shade it out, and no nematodes in the soil to control the roots. Bindweed. Yuck. :(

Ten feet away, the poo has been collecting along the fence for years..no bindweed. No pigweed. No salt grass. Structure that can be seen with the naked eye. The first step. Kochia. Still telling me the ground is alkaline, but water retention is better and kochia penetrates to the subsoil taking the good stuff down with it. The next step here would be intensive grazing and cutting to weaken roots then over seeding with something to alter the pH back to neutral so the rye, oats, grasses can thrive.

After years of adding beneficials, boosting good weeds to smother out bad withholding water (which has been tricky this year. We got our full annual amount of rain in just May, so the weeds are popping, that kochia stand is 6' already..)
It should look like this.

Permaculture practices, organic practices...sustainable agriculture. It takes a huge amount of patience to get from point A to point B...the benefits csnt be realized in days; it takes years. I csn get this field certified organic now, 7 years of work, record keeping, chasing crop dusters away, hand pulling weeds at times...Whatever you want to call it, it's WORK and it's totally worth it to see this grass after looking at that cornfield lol...chickens in paradise haha ;)

Last edited:
Now you are looking more permaculturish. Nutrient cycling between animal and plant side still needs work and that is where scale / distance will hamper your efforts. Predator management will be more fun / challenging than most enjoy if you attempt scaling up to the 100 bird flock where free-range forage makes up a significant component of feeding.

Quote: What do you call this plant? Unless I'm mistaken, this is what is growing all over the place around here. The chickens absolutely LOVE it! With all the rain we got last month, I have it up to my elbows in places even though I try, every day, to pull up a bunch and toss it to the birds! I get quite an armload, but the taller it gets, the few stalks I need to make the birds happy!

Now you are looking more permaculturish. Nutrient cycling between animal and plant side still needs work and that is where scale / distance will hamper your efforts. Predator management will be more fun / challenging than most enjoy if you attempt scaling up to the 100 bird flock where free-range forage makes up a significant component of feeding.

Oh most definitely; its going to be interesting... We have a Great Pyreneese that is good with the sheep... And my coonhound is just that...a coonhound haha... Maybe time to get a couple more breeds of dog too...
Hoping the chicken grazing will be a little better than the poo hauling. They won't graze quite as hard as sheep, and they can poop all they want out there... :D

What do you call this plant?  Unless I'm mistaken, this is what is growing all over the place around here.  The chickens absolutely LOVE it!  With all the rain we got last month, I have it up to my elbows in places even though I try, every day, to pull up a bunch and toss it to the birds!   I get quite an armload, but the taller it gets, the few stalks I need to make the birds happy!  

That is Kochia... Its a good grazing alternative...with some rules lol...
http://m.beefmagazine.com/grazing-systems/kochia-good-bad-and-ugly

Its great when its small and healthy...but it gets problematic when its over 24" ... Heres an excerpt from the link...
"Kochia is an invasive range plant first introduced in the U.S. around 1900 as an ornamental. But because of its drought-hardiness and ability to grow in very poor soils, it escaped and now grows throughout much of the U.S. It’s particularly well-suited to semi-arid climates because of its drought, disease and insect resistance, and alkaline soil pH tolerance.

Nicknamed “poor man’s alfalfa” among others, kochia usually has good forage value, often containing 11-22% crude protein depending upon soil nitrogen content and stage of maturity at the time of grazing initiation or harvesting as hay, according to Larry Hollis, Kansas State University Extension beef veterinarian. Well-managed kochia grazing, or feeding timely harvested Kochia hay, usually results in good livestock performance.

If you don’t manage it correctly, however, you can be playing with fire."

We keep ours cut; you can even bale it like hay! But yeah, be careful with it and don't make it your main source of feed :)

Last edited:
Mine too..geese and ducks love the little tendercshoots in very early spring. It comes up sooner than a lot of other forages so they can munch it until everything else comes up. By the time it gets taller and the grasses can replace them.

IMO that's a good representation of "permaculture"... Using what's there to its potential... An added bonus about kochia for garden use... Keep it pulled to the perimiters and it will shade out the other weeds and keep the ground cool..it makes a nice little safety buffer around a garden; wind break, shade, beneficials hide in there...and it breaks up heavy soil reducing compaction and aerating the soil :) It comes up fast so animals can get the most of it when its little then by the time its unpalatable they can move on to grass and clover... And whatever flowers you may not want them in...lol ;)

Seasonal changes bring new sources of protein... I like grasshopper season; nothing better than knowing they are getting fed for a full month in insects that I'm trying to reduce anyway! Finding them food for all seasons! :)

Can I try to resurrect this thread and get some opinions. The above pic is my coop and run / garden set up (we have the fence on both sides now) The chickens get one side one year and I garden in the other and then we switch the following year. What would be good cover crops to plant on the chicken side each spring. I am in NW Ohio (zone 6a) and our soil is horrible clay so we're trying to improve our soil but want to make sure it is good for the chickies but want to make good choices since we want to garden and now fight any more weeds than we already do. Thanks!

Can I try to resurrect this thread and get some opinions. The above pic is my coop and run / garden set up (we have the fence on both sides now) The chickens get one side one year and I garden in the other and then we switch the following year. What would be good cover crops to plant on the chicken side each spring. I am in NW Ohio (zone 6a) and our soil is horrible clay so we're trying to improve our soil but want to make sure it is good for the chickies but want to make good choices since we want to garden and now fight any more weeds than we already do. Thanks!
Just plant stuff for soil restoration, cover crop type stuff....but....chickens may tear up anything you plant.

Beautiful yard :) it would be the perfect place for clovers or alfalfa, and they do great in clay soil. They also bring in much needed beneficial insects and are nitrogen fixing legumes, so you get feed, fertilizer, and soil improvement all in one! Take advantage of weeds that the chickens will help control but are good for the soil; things like dandelion and vetch actually improve soil structure and long taproots break up clay soil while being great feed options; the chickens will pretty much eradicate dandelions for you ;)

Back
Top Bottom