Chickeeaholic

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
I thought it would be a good idea to grow pumpkins this year to feed the chickens. I planted eight fairytale pumpkins that were supposed to be Seminoles. They overtook a good portion of the 1/4 acre backyard. They are wonderful for reasons I never expected! Not only are they great food, the chickens love hiding in them and taking cover if they see something spooky. They love the shade too and I love not mowing!

Attachments

• DA970AC6-0C47-4948-A544-243D9D038498.jpeg
    DA970AC6-0C47-4948-A544-243D9D038498.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
One of my neighbors grows pumpkins every year for the 4-H kids, and I always get the "leftovers." They were originally supposed to be for my goats, but my chickens insist their goat friends share the bounty!

LOVE that your chickens take refuge in the vines!
That is great your neighbors do that. What happy goats and chickens they must be at harvest time.

I thought it would be a good idea to grow pumpkins this year to feed the chickens. I planted eight fairytale pumpkins that were supposed to be Seminoles. They overtook a good portion of the 1/4 acre backyard. They are wonderful for reasons I never expected! Not only are they great food, the chickens love hiding in them and taking cover if they see something spooky. They love the shade too and I love not mowing!
Do they eat the leaves or the pumpkins themselves?

Back
Top Bottom