Chicks are terrified of the coop!

nnheacox

In the Brooder
May 11, 2024
We moved our chicks out to their coop last night and I’m pretty sure we traumatized them 😭 They are terrified of the ramp and won’t go up or down. I feel so bad because they’re scared. What can I do to help them adjust??

Normally they would have a mother hen to sooth them and show them how to do things. They will eventually get used to the new surroundings. The ramp may take longer.

It might help if they are somewhat tame to put them out on it, and show them how to go in or out. Otherwise let them be.

I opened the pophole on my chicks last week and I have finally seen a few venture outside, but they are mostly still hesitant. You may need to put yours up at night manually for a while.

Normally they would have a mother hen to sooth them and show them how to do things. They will eventually get used to the new surroundings. The ramp may take longer.

It might help if they are somewhat tame to put them out on it, and show them how to go in or out. Otherwise let them be.

I opened the pophole on my chicks last week and I have finally seen a few venture outside, but they are mostly still hesitant. You may need to put yours up at night manually for a while.
We put a few down in the run and a few up in the coop hoping they’d figure it out. I have a couple that like to come and sit with me, so I’ll try sitting them on the ramp! I’m hoping they’ll get acclimated soon.

What can I do to help them adjust??
We all do these things differently and have different opinions. Once, when I opened the pop door every chicken was on the ground within 15 minutes. I've had them take 3 days before the last one hit the ground. My broods are usually in the 20 chick range. It is the same coop, no adults around to intimidate them, and the same breeds or mixes. It can be amazing how different one group can be from another.

I have food and water in both the coop and run. However they want to go about it is fine with me. They are well taken care of.

Once they are in the run mine typically don't want to go back in the coop to sleep. They go to bed under the pop door. After it gets dark so they are easier to catch I lock them in the coop where it is safe. One time I had to put them in that coop once and every one of the got the message. A couple of times it has taken three weeks for the last of them to catch on. Usually a few start going in on the second or third night and by a week all of them are going in on their own at dark. Each group has its own dynamics, it can be amazing how different one group can be from the last.

I do not have a ramp, I used steps. In the morning most of mine fly to the ground instead of using the steps. At night, half of mine fly up and half hop up the steps.

You don't say how old your chicks are but it is not that they are traumatized by the ramp. If they don't know how to use the ramp, they could probably fly up if they wanted to go up unless you have Silkes or others that can't fly. They simply do not WANT to. You get them ready to go into the coop to sleep by putting them in there to sleep every night until they get in the habit of sleeping in the coop. Once they WANT to go to sleep in the coop they will get there.

We all do these things differently and have different opinions. Once, when I opened the pop door every chicken was on the ground within 15 minutes. I've had them take 3 days before the last one hit the ground. My broods are usually in the 20 chick range. It is the same coop, no adults around to intimidate them, and the same breeds or mixes. It can be amazing how different one group can be from another.

I have food and water in both the coop and run. However they want to go about it is fine with me. They are well taken care of.

Once they are in the run mine typically don't want to go back in the coop to sleep. They go to bed under the pop door. After it gets dark so they are easier to catch I lock them in the coop where it is safe. One time I had to put them in that coop once and every one of the got the message. A couple of times it has taken three weeks for the last of them to catch on. Usually a few start going in on the second or third night and by a week all of them are going in on their own at dark. Each group has its own dynamics, it can be amazing how different one group can be from the last.

I do not have a ramp, I used steps. In the morning most of mine fly to the ground instead of using the steps. At night, half of mine fly up and half hop up the steps.

You don't say how old your chicks are but it is not that they are traumatized by the ramp. If they don't know how to use the ramp, they could probably fly up if they wanted to go up unless you have Silkes or others that can't fly. They simply do not WANT to. You get them ready to go into the coop to sleep by putting them in there to sleep every night until they get in the habit of sleeping in the coop. Once they WANT to go to sleep in the coop they will get there.

Back
Top Bottom