Chicks...by mail...really?

So exciting! I just got off the phone with the hatchery, who were so kind as I bombarded them with questions. Looks like we'll place our order on-line this weekend and then....start waiting! Looks like we'll go with SLW, GLW or Astralorpes. We were going to go with a combination of all, but now I'm not sure because that may slow down our order a little to have them all hatch at the same time. Gosh, decisions, decision. We were thinking about Easter Eggers, but they won't be hatched until mid-Oct and I'm not sure I can take the wait!
jumpy.gif

I wanted to add a couple of silkies to the order, but they're only offering an assortment of Bantams right now - so we won't know whats coming for breeds. So do I wait until Spring and be sure I'm getting what I want?
hu.gif
I'm concerned about adding Bantams to a flock of standards. Will they be picked on? I figured that if I raised a mixed group together from chicks, they would have less of a chance of getting picked on when I add them to the coop. Not that I'm sure my girls would even pick on newbies.

You sound like me at the farm store in the spring. Its like a kid in a candy store when you get all of those choices. A little of this, a little of that next thing you know you have some of everything in your box and you have to put some back. I have mail ordered through Cackle Hatchery and McMurray. They both got here in the same time. The post office tends to pick up their feet when they hear a box chirping:lol:!

We have recieved 56 chicks by mail so far and have 35 more on order so far all our chicks that we have gotten have been alive and well........ We ordered from Murray McMurry

Shipping when there is extreme weather conditions seems to have resulted in a lot of sad losses - so many reported here on BYC - so I would always check the weather and not ship when too hot or too cold anywhere in the journey. Never rely on the hatchery to make that judgement because some will ship if you say ship, regardless of risk.
JJ

I've looked at most places, because I only want silkies... I'm OBSESSED with silkies right now. It appears EVERYONE I've looked at is sold out until 2009. So, in 2009 I will be hatching my own
big_smile.png

If they are out seperately, chances are if you get the 'assortment' they may not include any, if only 1-2 silkies. Also, I had rescued a silkie who was in with a standard flock, and they were just picking on her to death, but she was so lonely.

Some people don't have problems mixing them. I'd just be afraid to.

Last edited:
We're raising 7 standard chicks with 2 little silkies, and they've been doing great. They just jump on top of the others, and they always get the best spots in the piles because of their ability to smoosh in a corner. I think they'll be fine once they grow up too..
I know I'm planning on adding more silkies and bantams to my flock next spring. I figure that they're all chickens, and they have other small, floofy friends too.
big_smile.png

Awwww, come on, Hooterville.... that was so unfair posting that positively adorable, irresistable box of tiny fluffy chicks!!!!!!!!!!!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

NOW, how are we ever gonna resist getting MORE?
th.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wink.png

Our latest are already almost 8 weeks old...sigh...

I have never ordered by mail but we got our chicks at the local feed store. They seem to have everything. They had the breeds seperated so we could pick which breed we wanted and they are guranteed 90% hens. They also take back any roos we may get for free.

That's interesting! Around here, you have to place your order with the feed store by a certain date in spring for whatever breeds you want (not as many offered as by mail) and then they all arrive.

Back
Top Bottom