Chicks dying like crazy .. .

Kadjain

Songster
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
Tehama, Nor Cal (way nor)
I just put a hatch of 15 - 1 week old chicks in my outdoor brooder, I have an indoor brooder where they stay till they are a week old then I move them outside. They have been in there for 3 days. This morning I went out to find 5 of them dead and the rest looking pretty weak. I thought it was a waterer issue since I use nipples. I put a pan style waterer in there and watched them drink for a while and left thinking that was the solution to the problem. I checked again an hour later and 5 more are dead. I use sand in my adult pens and having run out of shavings I thought I would use the sand in the brooder. It is sand that had been used to level a pool so it has been outside exposed to the elements however I have never had a problem w it. This is the first time I used it in the brooder but I'm really doubting that is the problem...?
The second time I checked on them I had to put one chick down cause he was just sitting there dying, twirling his head in circles. I have not had a problem like this before and there have been no other outbreaks or illnesses in my yard.
Could this just be a weak hatch for some reason or is it most likely something in the sand that young chicks can't handle?

Very sorry for your losses. :(

I'm wondering about the outside brooder temperature first.

Second, I'm wondering if it's possible they contracted Coccidiosis from you, your clothes, or the other birds on your property.

Third, I'm wondering if they came down with Marek's somehow.

I'd definitely add some Corid to their water, if you have any on hand or can grab some from your local feed store or Tractor Supply.

MrsB

Last edited:
Very sorry for your losses. :(

I'm wondering about the outside brooder temperature first.

Second, I'm wondering if it's possible they contracted Coccidiosis from you, your clothes, or the other birds on your property.

Third, I'm wondering if they came down with Marek's somehow.

I'd definitely add some Corid to their water, if you have any on hand or can grab some from your local feed store or Tractor Supply.

MrsB
I use the outside brooder for years and the temp is never a problem, they can go to different spots if it get's too hot or all the way outside cause there is an outdoor section.
I have Corid but I have stopped using it cause every time I do it seem like my birds get sick. I use it at 9.5 ml / gallon. I though Marek's too but why just them when the outdoor brooder is in the main yard and no other birds are showing? I put it in the main yard so when they get big enough I just open the door and they are w general population already being introduced through the outdoor section. I've never had a problem with this way

Is it possible their feed is moldy?

Liquid 9.6% Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon.
Powder 20% Corid is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

As for the Mareks, are these chicks some you hatched yourself? Hatchery? Tractor Supply?

MrsB

N
Is it possible their feed is moldy?

Liquid 9.6% Corid is 2 teaspoons per gallon.
Powder 20% Corid is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.

As for the Mareks, are these chicks some you hatched yourself? Hatchery? Tractor Supply?

MrsB
No the feed is fine.
I figure it was my fault, I think I had the waterer too low and they didn't notice it. I use bottles w poultry nipples. I checked the level to see if they were drinking and I thought they were but today I noticed the level was the same as yesterday. And after adjusting the height I've seen them drinking from it and the survivors are doing great, even one that couldn't walk earlier.
I feel horrible and so sorry for the little chicks. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again

Back
Top Bottom