Chicks Grabbing/Pecking at Eachother?

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
I was letting three of my baby chicks wander on my floor together for a few minutes out of their brooder, and really suddenly they started making a bunch of noise and pecking very sparratically. When I took a close look, they were pecking and grabbing at eachothers toes, to the point where one wouldnt let go while the other tried to get away. I was worried that they were going to injure eachother because of how hard they were grabbing eachother. Is this how baby chicks normally play/establish their pecking order?

When you took them out of the brooder, which I assume has some sort of bedding in it, they probably noticed their toes for the first time. "Ooh, what are these? Worms?" They can hurt each other, though. Did they continue pecking each other once you put them back in the brooder?
They occasionally pick at eachother's feet in the brooder, they did it a couple times after I put them back in, but it wasn't as bad.

My hen's chicks sometimes peck at eachother. They don't hurt eatchother, they are just checking out what things are. One of the chicks have a bright orange beak, whilst the others have white beaks, so sometimes they peck at it because the don't know what it is.

Clover: "Ooh look at that orange cone on Darwin's face!"
Basil: "Oh let's peck at it!"
Darwin: "oi that's my beak!"

Back
Top Bottom