Chicks Hatched by Momma

Deerling

Songster
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
King County, WA
Hello,

We just got some darling week old Silkies and a two day old Marans (that is still bigger than the silkies) that were raised by a mama chicken up to this point in their lives. I've made sure that they're eating and drinking, but is there anything else I need to do for them since they did have a mother chicken before this? Poor little babies are peeping non-stop. (Temp. is good. We put a stuffed animal in for them that has rice in it, so it should hold a little heat if they want to cuddle it. Should I go try and find them a feather duster?)

A feather duster will probably comfort them. My chicks that had never seen a broody would pop in and out of it like it was their momma. Either that, or listen to them call for her until they figure out she isn't coming back, which (for me) is heart breaking :(

A feather duster will probably comfort them. My chicks that had never seen a broody would pop in and out of it like it was their momma. Either that, or listen to them call for her until they figure out she isn't coming back, which (for me) is heart breaking
sad.png
Me too! They seem happier today, thankfully. It was very sad, and my instinct is to pick them up and cuddle them, but of course that isn't comforting to them in the slightest.

Back
Top Bottom